Prospect Info: With the #24 pick, the Wild select (D) Filip Johansson (Allsvenskan, Leksands IF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
What stings is wanting Pasta in the draft... taking Tuch instead... watch Tuch develop and start to succeed, but then forced to give him up due to expansion, and seeing Pasta become the elite player we've been looking for.

HUGE MISS
Could've had Forsberg instead of Dumba too. Boeser instead Eriksson Ek. Tarasenko instead of Granlund.

The list goes on and on and on...

Reactions: DANOZ28

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I also see a real need for centers here, but it's going to have to come via trade (or surprising development from our prospects)

Yes. I think making a big trade or two to get us a young, dynamic center will be the baptism by fire for Fenton. Let's hope he delivers.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Could've had Forsberg instead of Dumba too. Boeser instead Eriksson Ek. Tarasenko instead of Granlund.

You can do this for every team. Draft picks are basically lottery tickets, with odds of winning rapidly decreasing after top-5 or so. Every team looks stupid when you go through the picks like that with the benefit of the hindsight.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You can do this for every team. Draft picks are basically lottery tickets, with odds of winning rapidly decreasing after top-5 or so. Every team looks stupid when you go through the picks like that with the benefit of the hindsight.
Yep, that's the point I'm making.

Reactions: FVM

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Meh, I'm happy we have Dumba myself. I wanted Dumba then and I'm happy to have him now.

I wanted Pasta then and wish like hell we had him now! He was the player I most wanted since going into the Dumba draft and I wanted Dumba.

I think the Tarasenko/Granlund pick at this point is pretty much becoming a toss up... I had no horse in that race at the time.

I remember not being thrilled with the "safe" Ek pick, but I didn't have anyone specific in mind for that draft either.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
When KK was Captain of the Russian team, Kunin C of team USA, and Eriksson-Ek C of Team Sweden, we were all patting ourselves on the back for our great fortune. Let's wait a while and see how things play out. I don't know if I'm a big believer in Kunin's goalscoring skills translating to the NHL, but I can see all three being middle sixers in the NHL. I know we want more than that, but that's a pretty good outcome for a #15, #20, and a 5th round pick.

If you don't believe me, look it up.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I remember not being thrilled with the "safe" Ek pick, but I didn't have anyone specific in mind for that draft either.

I wanted White, and I know there were a lot of fans wanting Boeser (hometown player).

White hasn't really developed either, but it's Ottawa. So who knows?

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Have you gotten to watch some of the games?

I have not. Leksands plays in Allsvenskan (2nd division behind SHL) so the games are not very accessible. But i try to read recaps and watch highlights.
I also talk a bit with a guy who follows them closely, just to get his POV on Johanssons development. He is a very critical so when he says Johansson has been better i take it he has been playing fairly good.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
1 assist in 21 games...yikes. This guy makes Brodin look like Erik Karlsson

Meanwhile, Veleno is doing well in the QJMHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: DumbaTrain

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I love threads like these. Here's how it works: Wild get a middle to late first round pick. You get any player from the rest of the draft to compare to the Wilds pick.

Result: Yay I win! My players better. Wild don't know what they're doing! I should be manager!

Moral: Hindsight is 20/20.

Reactions: 2Pair

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
What's missing from your sarcastic post is that virtually no one in the scouting community thought that Johansson was a good pick, especially given the Wild's needs. Name me one source who thought that Filip Johansson was picked too low.

Hindsight has nothing to do with it. There was NO pre- draft buzz about Johansson, and there sure as hell isn't a post draft buzz.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
What's missing from your sarcastic post is that virtually no one in the scouting community thought that Johansson was a good pick, especially given the Wild's needs. Name me one source who thought that Filip Johansson was picked too low.

Hindsight has nothing to do with it. There was NO pre- draft buzz about Johansson, and there sure as hell isn't a post draft buzz.

Agreed on FJ, but it happens with every single pick.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
1 assist in 21 games...yikes. This guy makes Brodin look like Erik Karlsson

Meanwhile, Veleno is doing well in the QJMHL.

The offense is worrisome, but also the top scorer in Allsvenskan -- a professional hockey league -- has 26 points in 23 games. The top scorer in the Q has 47 points in 26 games. Quality of competition, scoring rates, have to be considered. Johansson is playing against guys much older, much more experienced than he is.

Maybe Veleno turns into a star, maybe a depth guy, but one could also see him following a similar path as Zach Phillips too.

I just hope FJ makes Team Sweden and does well against his peers.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The offense is worrisome, but also the top scorer in Allsvenskan -- a professional hockey league -- has 26 points in 23 games. The top scorer in the Q has 47 points in 26 games. Quality of competition, scoring rates, have to be considered. Johansson is playing against guys much older, much more experienced than he is.

Maybe Veleno turns into a star, maybe a depth guy, but one could also see him following a similar path as Zach Phillips too.

I just hope FJ makes Team Sweden and does well against his peers.
And Khovanov, a guy we got in the 3rd round, is 13th in points and 10th in goals. I like and continue to like that pick, but the Q seems like a high scoring league in general.

I'll continue to plead ignorance on F. Johansson until I get a chance to watch him play some, but it is a little interesting that S. Johansson has 2 goals and 7 points in the about same number of games in the same league. Purely from stat-watching, Filip's team (Leksands IF) seems to score less and get scored on less, while Simon's team (Almtuna IS) scores more but allows more goals against. So even there it's hard to know what to make of it.

Edit: I take that back. Leksands has more goals, and Simon's actually 9th in scoring on Almtuna. So more points on an apparently worse team.

Last edited:
Reactions: DumbaTrain

Wabit

May 23, 2016
And Khovanov, a guy we got in the 3rd round, is 13th in points and 10th in goals. I like and continue to like that pick, but the Q seems like a high scoring league in general.

I'll continue to plead ignorance on F. Johansson until I get a chance to watch him play some, but it is a little interesting that S. Johansson has 2 goals and 7 points in the about same number of games in the same league. Purely from stat-watching, Filip's team (Leksands IF) seems to score less and get scored on less, while Simon's team (Almtuna IS) scores more but allows more goals against. So even there it's hard to know what to make of it.

Edit: I take that back. Leksands has more goals, and Simon's actually 9th in scoring on Almtuna. So more points on an apparently worse team.

I'm just waiting for someone to make a good "There were 2 Johanssons" with GMPF meme.

Reactions: Wild11MN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad