Prospect Info: With the #24 pick, the Wild select (D) Filip Johansson (Allsvenskan, Leksands IF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
So, i finally got a bit of samplesize.

The litle i got to see of him he didn't look very comfortable. Very often half the distance behind on plays and attacking players. Tries the difficult instead of the simple.

To be sure if my small samplesize was correct i asked around with people who follow him more closely.

One of the experts on Swedish Hockey; Uffe Bodin says he has been "OK" but he needs to step up his game if he has any plans on being included in the WJC-roster.

Another guy that follows Leksand said that FJ's play this far has been really poor and way below expected. He also said he looks uninspired, that he looks full of himself and that his stats don't lie.

20181031_080152_zpsepel1ut3.jpg

interesting to hear that he is full of himself and uninspired in one scouts eyes. hopefully as he matures that shit will go away.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This pick reeked of Fenton thinking he was the smartest gm in the room. Sure hope he's right.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I still think they panicked after Miller was taken a couple of spots earlier.
How is that possible? You simply go through your list and pick the next best talent at a position of need (i.e. Veleno).

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Allsvenskan is the highest league in Sweden, correct? Or is there one higher?

it's below SHL

as for panic, no, this was the guy they wanted according to all reports. A middle-pairing guy at best maybe, but...we'll see. It's not a high-scoring league.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
it's below SHL

as for panic, no, this was the guy they wanted according to all reports. A middle-pairing guy at best maybe, but...we'll see. It's not a high-scoring league.

Every team is going to say "this is the guy they wanted." For a pick that was as out of left field as this, maybe he really was the guy they wanted, or maybe they are just doing a hard sell job because they knew they messed up.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Every team is going to say "this is the guy they wanted." For a pick that was as out of left field as this, maybe he really was the guy they wanted, or maybe they are just doing a hard sell job because they knew they messed up.
yeah, when was the last time that a GM said, " this wasn't the guy we wanted, but we got flustered after ________ _______ got taken, and took some other guy we hope works out.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
yeah, when was the last time that a GM said, " this wasn't the guy we wanted, but we got flustered after ________ _______ got taken, and took some other guy we hope works out.

:laugh: I mean, no, that doesn't get said. But it's not like they didn't know the pick was coming. Maybe Lundestrom and Miller were the guys on their list, but as we've discussed Johansson is not that crazy of a pick. I would also say that it was probably not Fenton coming in and overruling a year's worth of scouting and evaluation at his new org, but rather Flahr got to make his pick. Maybe it was terrible - time will tell. I do hope they go with a scoring threat in 2019.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
:laugh: I mean, no, that doesn't get said. But it's not like they didn't know the pick was coming. Maybe Lundestrom and Miller were the guys on their list, but as we've discussed Johansson is not that crazy of a pick. I would also say that it was probably not Fenton coming in and overruling a year's worth of scouting and evaluation at his new org, but rather Flahr got to make his pick. Maybe it was terrible - time will tell. I do hope they go with a scoring threat in 2019.
If I'm Fenton, I sure as hell want to make the final decision on who my #1 pick is, because I sure as hell know that I will be blamed, or praised for it, down the road.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Wasn't that pretty much what Fenton and Flahr said, before and after the draft?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
There's zero chance that Fenton saw Johannson as a bad or even "iffy" pick but still went along with it because Flahr really liked him.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
interesting to hear that he is full of himself and uninspired in one scouts eyes. hopefully as he matures that **** will go away.

Just to make it clear the guy that said that is not a scout, just a big fan..

As for the pick itself; was not very high on it when he got drafted. Even less now. Seems to be a bad spent 1st.
But hey, he is still young.
Might get his shit together, who knows..

Doubt he'll be a stud tho..

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
There's zero chance that Fenton saw Johannson as a bad or even "iffy" pick but still went along with it because Flahr really liked him.
No chance that it wasn't Fentons pick
I would bet Flahr had very little to say in the draft

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
No chance that it wasn't Fentons pick
I would bet Flahr had very little to say in the draft
Iwould hope that Fenton heard what Flahr had to say, and used all of the Wild's resources available, but it would be more than a little disheartening if his first move as the boss was to let someone else do his job.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Iwould hope that Fenton heard what Flahr had to say, and used all of the Wild's resources available, but it would be more than a little disheartening if his first move as the boss was to let someone else do his job.

His job is to let the scouting staff recommend a pick. But a significant number of scouting guys were extended, remember, so he couldn't come in and just overrule them. Flahr was acting GM too, which I think was in large part to prepare the draft. And those guys are still his scouting resources, at least in part, for this season.

If FJ is great, we all win. If FJ is a complete bust, it's on Flahr, who supposedly has a shorter timeline with the organization either way. But the Wild have shown a lot of loyalty and guys have been around for a long time. Fenton has time to change the parts of the organization he doesn't think are working, but to come right in and do it was not a practical option.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
His job is to let the scouting staff recommend a pick. But a significant number of scouting guys were extended, remember, so he couldn't come in and just overrule them. Flahr was acting GM too, which I think was in large part to prepare the draft. And those guys are still his scouting resources, at least in part, for this season.

If FJ is great, we all win. If FJ is a complete bust, it's on Flahr, who supposedly has a shorter timeline with the organization either way. But the Wild have shown a lot of loyalty and guys have been around for a long time. Fenton has time to change the parts of the organization he doesn't think are working, but to come right in and do it was not a practical option.
Of course he could. It's called being the GM

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

This guy was in Flahr's position in Nashville last season doing the exact same as he was, so he had an idea on this draft class himself as well.

You can't tell me Fenton came in blind and had no control. He is the GM, he gives the go/no go call on every pick.

Reactions: 2Pair

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Veleno is currently leading his team with 10 goals, and 21 points. Currently 13th in points with only Jakob Pelletier playing one more game than him while the rest have 3 more games in hand. He's also tied for 7th in goals scored. Way early, but it looks like Veleno is starting to produce.

Can't say much about Bokk, but apparently he's looking good.

Nils Lundkvist is playing in the SHL with 4 points already. He's also a righty...Just food for thought there.

For a team devoid of skill and talent in the minors - picking up Johansson was confusing.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Veleno is currently leading his team with 10 goals, and 21 points. Currently 13th in points with only Jakob Pelletier playing one more game than him while the rest have 3 more games in hand. He's also tied for 7th in goals scored. Way early, but it looks like Veleno is starting to produce.

Can't say much about Bokk, but apparently he's looking good.

Nils Lundkvist is playing in the SHL with 4 points already. He's also a righty...Just food for thought there.

For a team devoid of skill and talent in the minors - picking up Johansson was confusing.

veleno falling to 30 was almost as confusing as the FJ pick.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
veleno falling to 30 was almost as confusing as the FJ pick.
Yeah, it's not like we were the only team that didn't love him. It seems the knock on him is that scouts don't think his offense will translate. Doesn't have any one skill that pops. Otherwise, he seemed a no brainer for us, considering our needs. I have no problem getting a RHD, either, though we have a lot in the system, but Johansson may well have been around in round 2. He seems to be a much bigger reach than Veleno.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah, it's not like we were the only team that didn't love him. It seems the knock on him is that scouts don't think his offense will translate. Doesn't have any one skill that pops. Otherwise, he seemed a no brainer for us, considering our needs. I have no problem getting a RHD, either, though we have a lot in the system, but Johansson may well have been around in round 2. He seems to be a much bigger reach than Veleno.

We didn't have a 2nd. McBain at 63 was the next pick the Wild owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad