With the 1st overall pick... (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
Kinda starting to think that just take Ekblad and go nuts on Moulson, Vanek, Niskanen etc...

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I say without a deal that really blows us away Tallon should just use the pick and add Ekblad to the fold. Now, I believe the fact Tallon is listening to offers for the #1 will help in him possibly trading the #32 + prospect or player to move up to around #15 to #25 area and get another good forward prospect. Depends if the right guy they want is there.

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
I say without a deal that really blows us away Tallon should just use the pick and add Ekblad to the fold. Now, I believe the fact Tallon is listening to offers for the #1 will help in him possibly trading the #32 + prospect or player to move up to around #15 to #25 area and get another good forward prospect. Depends if the right guy they want is there.

This. If the deal is obviously in our favor, he has to pull the trigger. But if that doesn't happen, I'm more than happy with Ekblad.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
I think Tallon is also trying to scare Buffalo into thinking Vancouver/Winnipeg will be taking their guy, since those teams are both pretty stacked on defense. As someone posted, Buffalo doesn't seem to mind the idea of trading one of their d-men (Myers most likely) to make room for Ekblad at #2 if that scenario did happen, or at least that's the story they're giving.

All mind games.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9 33m
Rumours flying around the trade of the #1 overall pick. I am handicapping it 80% chance the pick @FlaPanthers is moved. #winnowmode is on

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Part of me is confident Tallon won't make a stupid deal and will get something really good back for the pick, but the other part of me is thinking he's gonna blow it and get robbed. I'm really worried, haha

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Rumours flying around the trade of the #1 overall pick. I am handicapping it 80% chance the pick @FlaPanthers is moved. #winnowmode is on

We can't rebuild forever. Eventually you have to compliment that young talent with proven talent.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
Part of me is confident Tallon won't make a stupid deal and will get something really good back for the pick, but the other part of me is thinking he's gonna blow it and get robbed. I'm really worried, haha

If he does do that, everyone will see that I was right about him. He's the NHL's version of Jeff Ireland.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Tallon has all the power. I'm not concerned about getting robbed.

oOwlCat

FL > TN
Jun 24, 2010
Nashville, TN
Hmmm
Yup.

I'm afraid we'll have something similar to the Luongo-Bert deal, where we give up a valuable piece for a player that doesn't do much here

No way that Tallon makes a bad trade here. I'm sure if we see a trade happen, we all will be satisfied with the return.

flomarilius

May 23, 2011
Miami, FL
We don't know even know if that's a credible source. I could tweet something out and say panthers 85% chance to trade the pick per my sources..... and HFBoards ain't all that reliable as a source :sarcasm:

South Florida Canuck

Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
We don't know even know if that's a credible source. I could tweet something out and say panthers 85% chance to trade the pick per my sources..... and HFBoards ain't all that reliable as a source :sarcasm:

I hope you're right. Lawton is a Sportsnet guy I believe. I trust Button and Mackenzie as more credible sources and they seem to think we're keeping the pick.

South Florida Canuck

Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
You do realize that you only use that comparison because 1. They're both gm's in S. Fl. and 2. You're completely delusional.

Its not just that. If these rumors are true, that there is indeed a "win now" philosophy even when the team really isn't that close, and Tallon panics and pulls the trigger on a trade that only leads to maybe a few extra wins next season. Then yes, that puts him right up there with Jeff Ireland, and guess what, Ireland's moves got him ****canned. I fear the same will happen to Tallon because if he's under pressure to win now, and only manages to go from 29th place to 26th place. I really don't want Tallon to get fired. The thing I'm worried about is the ownership meddling in his business, forcing Tallon's hand to make a deal which only marginally helps the team. Someone earlier said it best. Shortcuts rarely ever work.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Its not just that. If these rumors are true, that there is indeed a "win now" philosophy even when the team really isn't that close, and Tallon panics and pulls the trigger on a trade that only leads to maybe a few extra wins next season. Then yes, that puts him right up there with Jeff Ireland, and guess what, Ireland's moves got him ****canned. I fear the same will happen to Tallon because if he's under pressure to win now, and only manages to go from 29th place to 26th place. I really don't want Tallon to get fired. The thing I'm worried about is the ownership meddling in his business, forcing Tallon's hand to make a deal which only marginally helps the team. Someone earlier said it best. Shortcuts rarely ever work.

We have a ton of prospects and we don't have room for all of them. Some will eventually have to pass through waivers and will get picked up. Part of a good rebuild is having a bunch of decent assets to move for more established players. Add a salary cap where teams are up against it and you can leverage trades to your advantage; cheap prospects for more expensive established talent.

Also, we need established talent for our young guys to play with. One of the biggest reasons our guys never develop properly is because they're asked to do everything and play out of position. We have a ton of money coming off the books next season (Upshall, Kopecky, Flash, Bergie, and Jovo) so we need to make some big $$$ moves.

South Florida Canuck

Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
Also, we need established talent for our young guys to play with. One of the biggest reasons our guys never develop properly is because they're asked to do everything and play out of position. We have a ton of money coming off the books next season (Upshall, Kopecky, Flash, Bergie, and Jovo) so we need to make some big $$$ moves.

But don't forget that Brian Campbell supposedly wants out. Plus he's getting up there in age anyway. That creates a big hole. By the time he's gone, we'll have Ekblad to come in and fill his spot, barring they don't trade down.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
We have a ton of prospects and we don't have room for all of them. Some will eventually have to pass through waivers and will get picked up. Part of a good rebuild is having a bunch of decent assets to move for more established players. Add a salary cap where teams are up against it and you can leverage trades to your advantage; cheap prospects for more expensive established talent.

I agree entirely, but imo it's scary as hell, since one bad trade could almost screw up the past 4 years. Hopefully the trade turn out to be magnificient like the ones that LA has done and not like the Leafs.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
But don't forget that Brian Campbell supposedly wants out. Plus he's getting up there in age anyway. That creates a big hole. By the time he's gone, we'll have Ekblad to come in and fill his spot, barring they don't trade down.

Well he's still here and that "rumor" has been squashed for now. Not really sure what your point is anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00