With the 1st overall pick... (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
@hfialkov: Panthers source tells Sun Sentinel if they don't like offers for No. 1 pick then most likely they'll go for D Aaron Ekblad #FlaPanthers

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
@hfialkov: Panthers source tells Sun Sentinel if they don't like offers for No. 1 pick then most likely they'll go for D Aaron Ekblad #FlaPanthers

Now that's a savvy move right there. Not picking Ekblad, but making it public that you want to pick Ekblad.

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
IMO they should try to get Edmonton to overpay and trade down to the 3rd overall pick and still be able to pick one of Bennett, Reinhart, or Ehlers. It's no secret the Oilers covet Ekblad..

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
IMO they should try to get Edmonton to overpay and trade down to the 3rd overall pick and still be able to pick one of Bennett, Reinhart, or Ehlers. It's no secret the Oilers covet Ekblad..

They need a #1 C almost as badly as a #1 defenseman, they'll be happy taking Reinhart or Bennett.

HockeyRulez

Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
I guess another interesting question that gets raised is if the panthers do end up picking at 1st overall and select Ekblad, do then the panthers look to trade either kulikov or gudbranson or maybe both to try and get back into the 1st rd or improve the roster by trading for nhl talent..

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
I guess another interesting question that gets raised is if the panthers do end up picking at 1st overall and select Ekblad, do then the panthers look to trade either kulikov or gudbranson or maybe both to try and get back into the 1st rd or improve the roster by trading for nhl talent..

i guess kulikov is possible but i doubt gudbranson but i don't know if thats such a great idea since we're apperantly pushing for the playoffs next season. i'd rather use kulikov for a trade with a team that needs offensive d and are stacked with talented wingers.
i think we should just sit tight and wait and see how things turn out in the 1st round. i think things are gonna get quite crazy with alot of risers and fallers this year and since there's a lot of talented wingers in this years draft i hope we can pick up a faller. :yo:

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I can see Kuli being moved if we select Ekblad. Because Soupy, Guddy, and Ekblad (I'm sure he could handle bottom pairing, 2nd power play minutes) would have spots. Then add the "two veteran defensemen" Tallon talked about. Then we have Olsen, Jovo?, Petro, Robak?, down the list.

-ghoste

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

I doubt Tallon ever trades Gudbranson and I don't think we trade Kuli either. We need to add some veteran defensemen to compliment them.
Tallon won't draft Ekblad with the presumption that he will make the team and play any sort of key role this season.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Edmonton is feeling the heat with this rumor. I hear they'd almost do anything to get a position to draft Ekblad. Meanwhile, Buffalo is sittin' pretty at 2; gonna get what they want.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I'm curious as to why we are at liberty to trade anything with #3.

They're going to give us they're 3rd rounder at best. Maybe swap our 4 with their 5.

And we lose both the better player (prospective) and the organizational need? Stupid. It's pure gambling, because any asset we get from them will either be prospective as well or mediocre at the NHL level. Unless they're giving us Eberle to move up (lol), total pass.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

They're going to give us they're 3rd rounder at best. Maybe swap our 4 with their 5.

And we lose both the better player (prospective) and the organizational need? Stupid. It's pure gambling, because any asset we get from them will either be prospective as well or mediocre at the NHL level. Unless they're giving us Eberle to move up (lol), total pass.

Well, it could be a bigger trade too, they add a significant piece like Eberle and we add a prospect/established player. Though I'm not really seeing it.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado

I think DT takes Ekblad. I don't think a Mikael Samuelsson gets it done this time. But hey, if a team wants to overpay...

homegrizown

Feb 4, 2008
pembroke pines fl

i agree there is no reason to trade unless overpayment. but i wouldn't be surprised once again if Tallon were to select a forward over a defenseman. i'd much rather have ekblad but a chance at a possible top winger is something Tallon might be wanting more.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Edmonton is feeling the heat with this rumor. I hear they'd almost do anything to get a position to draft Ekblad. Meanwhile, Buffalo is sittin' pretty at 2; gonna get what they want.

Also curious to read about it, I haven't heard anything from Edmonton in ages, I was fairly certain they were happy at #3. Do you have a link? Thanks.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i think he'll select reinhart.

if he's pressed to be in a win now mode then he may not want to wait for ekblad, and we already got kulikov who i wouldnt give up on (give him a fresh season with an actual good line mate for once and a stronger all around team and see how he does), gudbranson, matheson, mccoshen, weegar, petrovic, olsen. i think they sign/trade for a few veteran D this offseason and select reinhart. thats if they stay at #1.

we have a vet in campbell still. we have our younger guys in kulikov and gudbranson but neither are 18yr old rookies and should take another step in the right direction of their development. bring in 2 solid D. the last spot could be jovo/olsen or acquired through trade.

reinhart has the ability to not only play center but rw as well. being versatile helps a lot for us. he's an extremely smart player. he can step in immediately, his size isnt an issue, has 3yrs of whl play under his belt, and can probably make more of an impact in the shorter term than ekblad.

i love bennett but i have a feeling tallon won't be taking him. it'll be between reinhart and ekblad and my money is back on reinhart.

ZeroPT*

They need a #1 C almost as badly as a #1 defenseman, they'll be happy taking Reinhart or Bennett.

Isn't that why they took Barkov?

Question for cats fans: Do you think the above tweet is a smoke-screen or legitimate? Going back to last year the Avs proclaimed they would take Mack weeks before the draft, do you think the panthers are using Media to hide their true intentions or are they serious about taking Eklad 1st?

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
i think he'll select reinhart.

if he's pressed to be in a win now mode then he may not want to wait for ekblad, and we already got kulikov who i wouldnt give up on (give him a fresh season with an actual good line mate for once and a stronger all around team and see how he does), gudbranson, matheson, mccoshen, weegar, petrovic, olsen. i think they sign/trade for a few veteran D this offseason and select reinhart. thats if they stay at #1.

we have a vet in campbell still. we have our younger guys in kulikov and gudbranson but neither are 18yr old rookies and should take another step in the right direction of their development. bring in 2 solid D. the last spot could be jovo/olsen or acquired through trade.

reinhart has the ability to not only play center but rw as well. being versatile helps a lot for us. he's an extremely smart player. he can step in immediately, his size isnt an issue, has 3yrs of whl play under his belt, and can probably make more of an impact in the shorter term than ekblad.

i love bennett but i have a feeling tallon won't be taking him. it'll be between reinhart and ekblad and my money is back on reinhart.

Neither of the top 3 (Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart) would have a huge impact next year if they played imo. They would not be getting top minutes especially because we already have Two top centers in Barkov and Bjugstad, and a decent top defenseman including Kulikov, Campbell, and whoever we get in free agency. We're top heavy in centers that can play at the NHL level (Barkov, Bjugstad, Shore, Trocheck, Pirri, Howden) and then Grimaldi and Rau in the system. Aside from Olsen and Guddy obviously, the other d-men you mention aren't NHL-ready at this point and so a defenseman is definitely a need. Ekblad has played in the OHL for 3 seasons already and has excelled, particularly this past season so I think he could more easily play in the NHL at least on the bottom pairing if not the 2nd pairing.

HockeyRulez

Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
I doubt Tallon ever trades Gudbranson and I don't think we trade Kuli either. We need to add some veteran defensemen to compliment them.
Tallon won't draft Ekblad with the presumption that he will make the team and play any sort of key role this season.

However kuli and guds are both RFAs, keep that in mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00