Prospect Info: With the #109 pick, the Wild select Kaapo Kahkonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Has a lot more offensive potential than everyone thinks. Should be a 25 goal scorer in the NHL.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
A little update:

Kaapo has successfully taken the starter position in Blues(FEL).
Has played 7 games with 93.05% 1.85GAA. Is atm the most likely starter in up coming WJC.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Good for him... but I'm not going to get excited about anything he does over seas. We saw what happened with Gustafsson.

P10p

May 15, 2012
No defensive structure? Outside of the NHL the AHL is probally tops in terms of defensive structure. Not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you're referring specifically to out Iowa Wild, in that case I would agree. But the AHL is nowhere close to a freewheeling and offence oriented league

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Hope not. AHL is bad league for goalie development imo, the teams have no defensive structure.

No defensive structure? Outside of the NHL the AHL is probally tops in terms of defensive structure. Not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you're referring specifically to out Iowa Wild, in that case I would agree. But the AHL is nowhere close to a freewheeling and offence oriented league

AHL is absolutely necessary for goaltenders from overseas to get used to the smaller rink. (except Lundqvist)

Kähkönen should definitely go to the Iowa Wild when he comes over. Adjusting to a smaller rink can be difficult at first to a young, European goalie.

I like Kähkönen, but I was hoping we'd get Ville Husso. In 2013, I was hoping for Juuse Saros.

Oh well. Kaapo is a good goalie too.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
The AHL is naturally the best place not named NHL for a European player to get accustomed to NA hockey. At the same time it actually is not very good hockey. Don't fool yourselves. It does kind of suck.

You know when you're watching the goal highlights from NHL games you can always spot the small mistake leading to a goal. With AHL highlights you're normally like how the **** does that play ever even start to come about? You just don't get it most of the times. It really is that bad.

P10p

May 15, 2012
The AHL is naturally the best place not named NHL for a European player to get accustomed to NA hockey. At the same time it actually is not very good hockey. Don't fool yourselves. It does kind of suck.

You know when you're watching the goal highlights from NHL games you can always spot the small mistake leading to a goal. With AHL highlights you're normally like how the **** does that play ever even start to come about? You just don't get it most of the times. It really is that bad.

As someone who has watched alot of AHL and NHL hockey, i disagree. The AHL is a tough league to play in. Lots of physicality, lots of great players, lots of tight defense. Its even harder if you're unlucky enough to be in Minnesota's system lol :laugh:

P10p

May 15, 2012
So was Gustavsson...

I find it funny how people talk about Gustaffson. He could be the most clear case of a prospect that was mismanaged by the Wild. Sky seemed like the limit for him until we put him on the dumpster fire that is/was iowa/houston.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I find it funny how people talk about Gustaffson. He could be the most clear case of a prospect that was mismanaged by the Wild. Sky seemed like the limit for him until we put him on the dumpster fire that is/was iowa/houston.

Watching him in Iowa, he still looked really good. Obviously his numbers weren't going to be there with that defense.

FrodoBeggins

Jun 26, 2016
Kerch
I do not understand why no kahkonena Finnish youth in the camp?
% Reflected throws him better than these three. While he plays the weakest club Finnish championship

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Kähkönen today with 51 saves in a 3-2 overtime victory. He plays in one of the worst teams in the league and they beat one of the best teams today, all because of Kaapo. Hype.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad