Birthplace: Helsinki, FIN
    Nation: Finland
    Position: G
    Catches: L
    Height: 187 cm / 6'2"
    Weight: 91 kg / 201 lbs
  • hockey's future Player Profile
    Talent Analysis

Kahkonen has the prototypical size for an NHL goaltender and is strong in all areas of the game. While utilizing a butterfly style, he appears in control at all times and has quick feet that allow him to move laterally quickly. Playing in almost every game for his junior team, he has proven to be durable and is technically sound.

Future

Kahkonen is the heir apparent to Nashville prospect Juuse Saros (NSH) with regards to Finland's U20 and U18 teams and is a bit bigger than Saros. Beginning to separate himself from some of the other young Finnish goaltending prospects, though still developing, he could be the next goalie from that country to emerge as a starting goaltender in the NHL.
  • mynhldraft.com Player Profile
    Kahkonen is an active puck stopper who plays the game with confidence especially when seeing a heavy workload. He utilizes the butterfly but rarely swims around his crease unlike others. He goes down and pops right back up quickly and moves side-to-side well. (August 2013)
  • Lastwordonsports Player Profile
    Kaapo Kahkonen has been a mainstay of the Finnish National team program for quite some time. At the age of 16 he helped the Finns win the Youth (U16) Olympic Gold Medal. He also participated in the 2013 Ivan Hlinka and the 2014 Under 18 World Hockey Championships. Don’t be fooled by the statistics, Kahkonen was fantastic at the Hlinka and through most of the Under-18 for what was a weaker than normal team for Finland in his age group. One bad game against Sweden, where Finland was greatly outplayed, and Kahkonen hung out to dry, has a major effect on the U18 numbers.
DD2_009_slide.jpg

Last edited:

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
It's like our scouts have never visited another European country besides Finland :laugh:

He was probably taken to piss off Johan Gustafsson because the organization just drafted a dynamic Fin to compete with the non dynamic swede

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Because 2 goalies, which is typically the longest position to develop, is enough.

Well you can never really have enough of anything. I feel that Keumper and Gustafsson are close however, but I'll guess this guys 2 years away from pro, and well I'm sure we'll be looking to add pieces to run for the cup soon and I suppose it makes sense because we could dangle a goalie.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Over Harding ?

I don't doubt he'll start but right now I see him stuck behind Harding and Backstrom...

Until Backstrom gets injured or traded and Harding's MS flares up again... Which unfortunately won't take long.

Both Backstrom and Harding don't look like they'll be around long.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Well you can never really have enough of anything. I feel that Keumper and Gustafsson are close however, but I'll guess this guys 2 years away from pro, and well I'm sure we'll be looking to add pieces to run for the cup soon and I suppose it makes sense because we could dangle a goalie.

I'd guess he spends at least 2 more years in Finland.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I'm guessing he'll get some Liiga games next season. I will probably have a chance to watch him live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad