Prospect Info: With the #109 pick, the Wild select Kaapo Kahkonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Kähkönen the next great goalie from Finland but then Saros took the show. He maybe has even more potential than Husso but I'm not a goalie expert.

Expect him to play in Finland the next two years and then a couple of seasons in AHL. And when the two years have passed either Kuemper or Gustafsson is our starter and the other is our backup or traded to another team to fill a need.

Very good pick by Fletcher

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Will be keeping an even closer eye on him now that he is a Wild draft pick. Should get some starts on Blues next year, I've seen him previously a couple of times and came away with mixed feelings. There's definitely great potential, but - as various scouting reports mentioned - his mental game needs some work. He is easily thrown off his game, seems like he is concentrating too hard on how he's doing. Lacks confidence occasionally, but when he's on his game he can be absolutely stellar. Surprisingly mobile for a butterfly goalie, too. In fact, his stance is more hybrid than butterfly to be specific.

Still, there's definitely some star potential. Remember Kuemper? He suffered from confidence issues, too. Same applies for many other goalies. Still, there's plenty of raw potential, his reflexes are good and he is mobile and challenges well. Kind of like Antti Raanta, only bigger.

I'll definitely try and keep an eye on him next year.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Could definitely see a Gustafsson/Kahkonen tandem in Iowa next year.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Looking at some articles, it seems that Kahkonen is looking long term. Ugh. Maybe Belanger or Michalek for a season and then Kahkonen after that?

Maybe. I'm not going to question the development of a Finnish goaltender. Finland knows what they're doing when it comes to that position. :laugh:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Maybe. I'm not going to question the development of a Finnish goaltender. Finland knows what they're doing when it comes to that position. :laugh:

And you shouldn't. Many have already looked like lost causes (not that I think Kähkönen looks like one so far), but a year later and they're looking like a good goalie prospect. Ville Husso didn't get drafted at first but then last year he took the starter spot for HIFK and as someone who has seen him live quite a few times, I can say he is very good. Joni Ortio barely got any playing time in the AHL and didn't do well when he did, so he went back to Finland for a year. Now he's already played in the NHL. Joonas Korpisalo had about a million injuries over 2 years and didn't exactly convince at the WJC, now it's 2 years later and he is a decent Liiga starter.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
And you shouldn't. Many have already looked like lost causes (not that I think Kähkönen looks like one so far), but a year later and they're looking like a good goalie prospect. Ville Husso didn't get drafted at first but then last year he took the starter spot for HIFK and as someone who has seen him live quite a few times, I can say he is very good. Joni Ortio barely got any playing time in the AHL and didn't do well when he did, so he went back to Finland for a year. Now he's already played in the NHL. Joonas Korpisalo had about a million injuries over 2 years and didn't exactly convince at the WJC, now it's 2 years later and he is a decent Liiga starter.

Korpisalo is not only decent, but very good.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
So, he had a pretty good playoff game tonight. Shutout and he scoredba goal. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad