Prospect Info: With the #109 pick, the Wild select Kaapo Kahkonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
KK definitely needs more time before we can see what he really is, or can be, but getting a goalie besides Dubnyk who has starting NHL goalie talent would be huge. For all our worries about C(justifiably), G is by far our thinnest position. I thought Michalek was going to be something, then he just ...disappeared...sort of like a Spinal Tap drummer.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
KK definitely needs more time before we can see what he really is, or can be, but getting a goalie besides Dubnyk who has starting NHL goalie talent would be huge. For all our worries about C(justifiably), G is by far our thinnest position. I thought Michalek was going to be something, then he just ...disappeared...sort of like a Spinal Tap drummer.

Wild sure have had their share of exploding goalies..

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
We've had a few goalie prospects that looked like they'd be something and then weren't.

Hackett and Kuemper both come to mind. Good thing we traded Hackett away before he fell flat off the face of the Earth.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
We've had a few goalie prospects that looked like they'd be something and then weren't.

Hackett and Kuemper both come to mind. Good thing we traded Hackett away before he fell flat off the face of the Earth.

Hackett really looked like the real deal for a while. Now he plays frickin ACHW hockey for Rosetown Redwings! Wonder what went wrong there.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
For years I‘ve been voting him as our best prospect.
Looks just like expected.

He is a big goalie and hence develops later. Just like Dubnyk...or Rinne.

I think he could take over from Dubnyk. They just need to teach him Dubes vision and positioning skills.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
For years I‘ve been voting him as our best prospect.
Looks just like expected.

He is a big goalie and hence develops later. Just like Dubnyk...or Rinne.

I think he could take over from Dubnyk. They just need to teach him Dubes vision and positioning skills.
Isn't he listed at 6'1

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Even though his GAA is normalizing, now 2.37 with a .918 SVS% in 14 games, he still seems to be a huge talent. Definitely a bigger potential than his draft pedigree and prospect hype would suggest.

In all reality he should probably spend the whole season in the AHL, getting as many starts as possible. But Dubnyk hasn't looked so hot recently and the dynamic duo of Stalock/Hammond doesn't provide a ton of optimism. I think there is a real chance Kahkonen gets the opportunity to get the backup job out of camp next summer with a fairly good chance of winning it. One season in the AHL and a couple of years supporting Dubnyk would seem like a solid path for Kahk.

If Dubnyk doesn't shape up perhaps he could even make some appearances later in the season. Probably unlikely but if he can remain at the top of the AHL over the next few months I wouldn't completely rule it out relative to what goes on with Dubnyk/Stalock/Hammond.

Either way, he seems to have a real shot at being their goalie of the future. A surprise for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad