Speculation: With Marner @ 10.89 whats your guesses on the rest of the big RFA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
He spent a 1st and Kadri for a years breathing room of cap space. Never really got why. Everyone is locked up long term and they go all in when Tampa and Boston are still better than them?

Seems like a weird time to gamble. Pretty much have a year to pull two top 4 defenders out of their ass or they are going to be in rough shape.

Yeah he did but that's not his fault. Marleau, Kadri who became disposable, Zaitzev weren't his contracts. I think with their upgraded D this team could be as good if not better than both of those teams.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Every year for contending teams will be hard, Chicago had a problem, Pitt had a problem, the Kings had a problem granted all 3 teams won a cup or cups. welcome to the cap era. This year was supposed to be the hard part remember.

It was until he gave his star players more than he probably should have. That was my point. It was like he just threw money at the problem and didnt bother negotiating a more team friendly deal. Something you need to be able to do in a cap era.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
3rd highest aav in the league and only bought one UFA year. Bet you can't find a comparable. ;)
Malkin is the best comparable, and Matthews was a better player and has a smaller cap hit percentage at equal term.

I get why people have skewed perception because of the insane McDavid contract and massive PP differences across eras, but Matthews' contract is not bad.

Reactions: Torontoborn

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Malkin is the best comparable, and Matthews was a better player and has a smaller cap hit percentage at equal term.

I get why people have skewed perception because of the insane McDavid contract and massive PP differences across eras, but Matthews' contract is not bad.
How the f*** was Matthews better player than Malkin was on ELC? Malkin on his ELC scored at 1,26 pp/g rate, won a Cup, won Art Ross and was once 2nd in scoring. And believe me, I hate Malkin but come on...

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Better than Malkin?
Good god man! Watch some non Leaf players once in a while!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How the **** was Matthews better player than Malkin was on ELC?
At time of signing their post-ELC contracts. I haven't looked into their full ELCs.

But the impact of inflated PP opportunities in that era is massive, and people don't seem to understand this.

1,26 pp/g rate, won a Cup, won Art Ross
Malkin did not have these things when he signed.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
At time of signing their post-ELC contracts. I haven't looked into their full ELCs.

But the impact of inflated PP opportunities in that era is massive, and people don't seem to understand this.

Malkin did not have these things when he signed.
Sorry my bad, he had just 191 points in 160 games + 26 in 25 PO games. Was 2nd in scoring race.
Oh and Art Ross was won with 120 and 112 points those two seasons and scoring climate was really similar to what it has been last few seasons.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

When Malkin signed his 5 yr post entry level deal at 15.34% of the cap we were in a period of significant growth in the CAP. Cap had increased by 12.8%/14.3% and 12.7% in each of last 3 years. It was reasonable to conclude that while 15.34% was a lot Cap would grow to fit the contract. He was also coming off a rookie season of 85 points and a second season of 106 points.

Mathews signs for 14.63% of the cap while we are coming off increases of 2.2%/2.7%/6%. Matthews was coming off a rookie year with 69 Pts and a 2nd year with 63 (yes I know 62 games) but Malkin had 106 in 82.

So yes they are comparable in that both were 5 yr contracts of ELC, Matthews cap% is marginally smaller 15.34 vs 14.63 but it was signed in a time of modest cap increases while Malkins was in a time of double digit % increases each year.

Not sure how one can conclude that Matthews was the better player. He had 132 points his first 2 years, Malkin had 191. Oh but yes Matthews is the best goal scorer since well the beginning of time. He had 74G his first 2 years. Malkin only had 80.

Malkin signed after a season in which he was second in the NHL it scoring. he was 18th his rookie season. Matthews was 22nd as a rookie and 61st his second year. Even if you do 2nd year on pts/game since we was injured you get 22nd again.

The contract may be comparable to Malkins in terms of term and cap hit % but the player is not.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
When Malkin signed his 5 yr post entry level deal at 15.34% of the cap we were in a period of significant growth in the CAP. Cap had increased by 12.8%/14.3% and 12.7% in each of last 3 years. It was reasonable to conclude that while 15.34% was a lot Cap would grow to fit the contract. He was also coming off a rookie season of 85 points and a second season of 106 points.

Mathews signs for 14.63% of the cap while we are coming off increases of 2.2%/2.7%/6%. Matthews was coming off a rookie year with 69 Pts and a 2nd year with 63 (yes I know 62 games) but Malkin had 106 in 82.

So yes they are comparable in that both were 5 yr contracts of ELC, Matthews cap% is marginally smaller 15.34 vs 14.63 but it was signed in a time of modest cap increases while Malkins was in a time of double digit % increases each year.

Not sure how one can conclude that Matthews was the better player. He had 132 points his first 2 years, Malkin had 191. Oh but yes Matthews is the best goal scorer since well the beginning of time. He had 74G his first 2 years. Malkin only had 80.

Malkin signed after a season in which he was second in the NHL it scoring. he was 18th his rookie season. Matthews was 22nd as a rookie and 61st his second year. Even if you do 2nd year on pts/game since we was injured you get 22nd again.

The contract may be comparable to Malkins in terms of term and cap hit % but the player is not.

They performed similarly at even strength, the amount of PP opportunities Matthews gets is not within his control and has nothing to do with his quality as a player. In the opportunities he did get, he performed at a similar efficiency.

Malkin's a better player and got paid better money, it's just not as easy as saying the gap is 106 points to 63 and calling it a day.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Oh and Art Ross was won with 120 and 112 points those two seasons and scoring climate was really similar to what it has been last few seasons.
It was not. You can't just look at Art Ross challengers to understand how scoring was different.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
How the **** was Matthews better player than Malkin was on ELC? Malkin on his ELC scored at 1,26 pp/g rate, won a Cup, won Art Ross and was once 2nd in scoring. And believe me, I hate Malkin but come on...

Hey come on, got to justify that caphit somehow when you have the 2nd highest paid player in the league who doesn't crack top-20 in PPG or points.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Poor Matthews can't even break 75 points in an era where scoring is so much different that he has multiple team mates scoring 80/90+. :(

Poor Tampa, the best team in the league couldn't even win a game in the playoffs last year, wait did they even have a lead? But, hey they have their players signed

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Poor Tampa, the best team in the league couldn't even win a game in the playoffs last year, wait did they even have a lead? But, hey they have their players signed

We took a page from the Toronto Maple Leafs book and went out in the first round. Good thing it's not a yearly occurrence as it seems to lead to overpaying overrated kids absurd money for no results.

11.63m for 73 points :eek:

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
It was not. You can't just look at Art Ross challengers to understand how scoring was different.
How different was it

2007-08 top guy had 112 pts/17-18 top guy had 108 pts
2007-08 5th place had 96 pts and 2017-18 5th had 97
2007-08 10th had 87pts in 2017-18 10th had 89
2007/8 15th and 82 in 2017-18 15th had 85
2007-08 20th had 78 and 2017/18 had 82.

don't see how scoring as higher in 2007-08. If anything scoring was slightly higher in 17/18 among the top 20 scorers

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
We took a page from the Toronto Maple Leafs book and went out in the first round. Good thing it's not a yearly occurrence as it seems to lead to overpaying overrated kids absurd money for no results.

11.63m for 73 points :eek:

Well, Leafs went out in 7 against the eastern Conference champs. Hmmmm Lighting did what? Oh yeah right lost to the 8th seed. Let's lock up all these great regular season players!
Don't worry about Matthews when he scores 50 and 100 points this season.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Well, Leafs went out in 7 against the eastern Conference champs. Hmmmm Lighting did what? Oh yeah right lost to the 8th seed. Let's lock up all these great regular season players!

If he does that is pretty much leon draisetel production who had 50-55-100 last year on an 8 year deal at 8.5M per.
If he does it will be the first time his assist total has come anywhere close to his goal total.

Don't get me wrong he is a great player and 50-50-100 is certainly possible- maybe even probable but it does not change the fact that 11.634M/5yrs for a RFA off ELC is the most player friendly contract in the league. He is overpaid.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Matthews needs to worry about scoring 75 points before 100, that's if he can even play 70 games. I wouldn't be poking fun at regular season stars with a team stuck in round 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: J T Money

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto

Wow! Okay I get the term comparison but Malkin was coming off a year where he scored 47G 59A - 106P where he was 2nd in NHL scoring and helped lead the Penguins to the Stanley Cup finals. This was also after his 2nd year in the league...
I'm amazed you can say with a straight face that Matthews was better.
Other people have also mentioned the difference in cap growth as well.

Last edited:

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Wow! Okay I get the term comparison but Malkin was coming off a year where he scored 47G 59A - 106P where he was 2nd in NHL scoring and helped lead the Penguins to the Stanley Cup finals. This was also after his 2nd year in the league...
I'm amazed you can say with a straight face that Matthews was better.
Other people have also mentioned the different in cap growth as well.
perhaps he means Mathews is better than Malkin right now/today ...not younger healthy Malkin

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Ah yes, Matthews was definitely better than Malkin, just look at their resumes at the time of signing!

Matthews:
Career high 69pts
Career high 22nd pts/game
Career high 40g
Career high 3rd G/game
One good playoff series
One awful playoff series
0 NHL series wins
Calder

Malkin:
Career high 106pt (2nd in NHL)
Career high 3rd Pts/game
Career high 47G
Career high 4th G/game
One average playoff series
One great playoff run
Cup Finals appearance
Calder
Hart Trophy candidate (2nd place)

I mean, it’s so obvious that Matthews was better!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad