Speculation: With Marner @ 10.89 whats your guesses on the rest of the big RFA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
With every new announced signing, Marner's contract is looking more and more like a significant overpay.
The latest signing of Rantanen for $9.25M x 6 yrs makes Dubas look even more incompetent.

Reactions: klozge

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Where's that poster who couldn't stop telling everyone about Dubas the Great, the man who stared down Matthews, Nylander and Marner and won?

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Now that all the big RFAs are signed we can see clearly how the financial muscle of the Leafs allowed them to pay out massive signing bonuses and thereby keep the overall AAV down. :sarcasm::laugh:

You forgot the huge endorsements.

Remember last year when the TML fans were saying that the big 3 are going to take discounts because in Toronto they will make a bigload of money from endorsements...

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
With every new announced signing, Marner's contract is looking more and more like a significant overpay.
The latest signing of Rantanen for $9.25M x 6 yrs makes Dubas look even more incompetent.

Dubas actually did pretty well this offeason, maybe 800 k too much on Marners deal but do you remember in June people were saying how are the Leafs going to sign Johnsson, Marner, Kap and upgrade their D. Here we are September 30... Everyone signed and the d is upgraded.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019

Remember last year when the TML fans were saying that the big 3 are going to take discounts because in Toronto they will make a bigload of money from endorsements...

Now you are making things up!

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Dubas actually did pretty well this offeason, maybe 800 k too much on Marners deal but do you remember in June people were saying how are the Leafs going to sign Johnsson, Marner, Kap and upgrade their D. Here we are September 30... Everyone signed and the d is upgraded.

His Matthews contract was terrible and had the ripple effect of a bad Marner contract. (Both relative to comparables that is)
With that said I do believe they will both earn their contracts and the Leafs don't have any bad UFA contracts which are a plus in Dubas favour.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Honestly, you'd think Dubas should have been able to sell them on that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

It's like people don't understand context. Nobody thought they COULDN'T sign all those players. They thought they WOULDN'T give over half their cap to four players. You can sign anybody if you overpay them by enough.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think Leafs fans should be happy they got their big guys locked up long term, but I would be unhappy with the AVV they signed for. Doesnt help the team going forward. If the cap doesnt go up much it could prove to be difficult to ice competitive teams if they cant fill up the bottom 6 well. However, if they are able to do that then they should be fine going forward but it will take work either way. I think thats a reason to be down on Dubas too. Those deals didnt make his job any easier going forward. They gotta hope the big 3 can lead them to a cup.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
His Matthews contract was terrible and had the ripple effect of a bad Marner contract. (Both relative to comparables that is)
With that said I do believe they will both earn their contracts and the Leafs don't have any bad UFA contracts which are a plus in Dubas favour.

Matthews contract isn't terrible at all!. He's one the best 5 on 5 players in the league. Like you said he will earn his contract, once the likes of Point, Tkachuk contracts are over they may be getting paid more then 11.6 per. When Matthews is still signed.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
It's like people don't understand context. Nobody thought they COULDN'T sign all those players. They thought they WOULDN'T give over half their cap to four players. You can sign anybody if you overpay them by enough.

Oh no they thought they couldn't hence all the offer sheet speculation.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Matthews contract isn't terrible at all!. He's one the best 5 on 5 players in the league. Like you said he will earn his contract, once the likes of Point, Tkachuk contracts are over they may be getting paid more then 11.6 per. When Matthews is still signed.

I think the good thing for the Lightning is that in 3 years we would have cleared some space to give Point a good long term deal. Also in 3 years we can see how much the cap has gone up. So we can make moves based on what the market actually is vs what we project it to be. Another reason why Dubas did a poor job on this. He just tried to go with what he thought the market would be rather than what it has been in the past. Being progressive does not mean you will be making the right move for your team. In fact has more chance of blowing up in your face if the rest of the league doesnt buy in to your progressive mindset.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
I think the good thing for the Lightning is that in 3 years we would have cleared some space to give Point a good long term deal. Also in 3 years we can see how much the cap has gone up. So we can make moves based on what the market actually is vs what we project it to be. Another reason why Dubas did a poor job on this. He just tried to go with what he thought the market would be rather than what it has been in the past. Being progressive does not mean you will be making the right move for your team. In fact has more chance of blowing up in your face if the rest of the league doesnt buy in to your progressive mindset.

I agree Tampa did well, hell Point makes less than Tkachuck. But, I think Dubas paid what he thought his guys were worth.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I agree Tampa did well, hell Point makes less than Tkachuck. But, I think Dubas paid what he thought his guys were worth.

Of course he did. The argument with them wasnt are they worth what they got, they probably are. Its hard to argue when the best players in the world gets paid a lot. Thats what makes it easy for Leafs fans to defend these moves. I think what gets lost and why many just call leaf fans homers is because theres more to it than just paying a player what they are worth. You have to think about the rest of the team too. Ill put it this way, the easy part of Dubas job is over because its easy to just give players a blank check. Now the hard part is coming.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

He spent a 1st and Kadri for a years breathing room of cap space. Never really got why. Everyone is locked up long term and they go all in when Tampa and Boston are still better than them?

Seems like a weird time to gamble. Pretty much have a year to pull two top 4 defenders out of their ass or they are going to be in rough shape.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Of course he did. The argument with them wasnt are they worth what they got, they probably are. Its hard to argue when the best players in the world gets paid a lot. Thats what makes it easy for Leafs fans to defend these moves. I think what gets lost and why many just call leaf fans homers is because theres more to it than just paying a player what they are worth. You have to think about the rest of the team too. Ill put it this way, the easy part of Dubas job is over because its easy to just give players a blank check. Now the hard part is coming.

Every year for contending teams will be hard, Chicago had a problem, Pitt had a problem, the Kings had a problem granted all 3 teams won a cup or cups. welcome to the cap era. This year was supposed to be the hard part remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad