Post-Game Talk: With 58% odds to pick 7th or 8th, Vancouver will select... 7th in the 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Right, so what’s the reason you think it likely won’t happen then?

As you say, Benning is willing. What’s gonna be the hold up?

Well, like you said, Tavares will likely want to go to a contender immediately. He’s likely not just going to leave Long Island to go to another team that struggles to make the playoffs.

All I’m doing, is coming up with a selling point for Vancouver in the Tavares sweepstakes. While I think the effort would likely be in vain, I think it would be enough to get Tavares to think....and consider it. No harm in making an offer.

Sell Tavares on Boeser, Pettersson, etc. Sell Tavares on living in Port Roberts Washington if saving more money on taxes is an issue.

Just get your foot in the door on July 1st and see what happens.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Well, like you said, Tavares will likely want to go to a contender immediately. He’s likely not just going to leave Long Island to go to another team that struggles to make the playoffs.

All I’m doing, is coming up with a selling point for Vancouver in the Tavares sweepstakes. While I think the effort would likely be in vain, I think it would be enough to get Tavares to think....and consider it. No harm in making an offer.

Sell Tavares on Boeser, Pettersson, etc. Sell Tavares on living in Port Roberts Washington if saving more money on taxes is an issue.

Just get your foot in the door on July 1st and see what happens.

Sure, go ahead. Never said there was harm in trying, so long as you agree it’s not gonna happen.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Ok?

And you decided this would be s good time to rehash this old discussion why ?

Earlier in this thread, another poster said something to the effect of, “the anti-Benning crowd on here have zero ability to view things objectively.” Since you had take a minor pot shot at me earlier in the thread (“there’s a reason why you don’t understand my friend”), I decided to return the favor by citing an example where you yourself had a difficult time showing objectivity (I.e. your ridiculous comments about Calgary).

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Sure, go ahead. Never said there was harm in trying, so long as you agree it’s not gonna happen.

Likely not to happen but you never know with these things. Like I said - 56 million over 4 years is a LOT of money. In 1997, no one thought we’d win the Messier sweepstakes, but we did. In 2010, we were told that there was no way Sundin was coming here, but he did (once it became clear that NYR wouldn’t be able to clear up some cap, combined with Vancouver’s money offer being too good to pass up).

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Earlier in this thread, another poster said something to the effect of, “the anti-Benning crowd on here have zero ability to view things objectively.” Since you had take a minor pot shot at me earlier in the thread (“there’s a reason why you don’t understand my friend”), I decided to return the favor by citing an example where you yourself had a difficult time showing objectivity (I.e. your ridiculous comments about Calgary).

Oh, I thought you had a better point than that. I’m not actually saying I was wrong in that discussion, but being objective isn’t akin to being correct 100% of the time. Being objective is trying to form an opinion based on facts at hand rather than pure emotion or cognitive biases, which is what I strive to do. Sometimes that makes me right, sometimes it makes me wrong. There’s no shame in being wrong, it’s how you arrive at your conclusions that matters.

Didn’t think I’d have to explain that to you.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Likely not to happen by you never know with these things. Like I said - 56 million over 4 years is a LOT of money. In 1997, no one thought we’d win the Messier sweepstakes, but we did. In 2010, we were told that there was no way Sundin was coming here, but he did (once it became clear that NYR wouldn’t be able to clear up some cap, combined with Vancouver’s money offer being too good to pass up).

Let’s see how it plays out then. If he doesn’t come here do I get to claim you aren’t an objective poster?

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Likely not to happen but you never know with these things. Like I said - 56 million over 4 years is a LOT of money. In 1997, no one thought we’d win the Messier sweepstakes, but we did. In 2010, we were told that there was no way Sundin was coming here, but he did (once it became clear that NYR wouldn’t be able to clear up some cap, combined with Vancouver’s money offer being too good to pass up).
How did that turn out?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Not well, but the point being that we beat the odds despite what the pundits predicted. I’m also quite sure that a 27 year old Tavares would do much better in Vancouver than a 36 year old Messier.

What do you imagine 4 years of Tavares would accomplish here? Are we taking a multi cup dynasty, or just a single cup?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
$14 million for who? Tavares? Yeah, no thanks.

I'm all for a full strip it down rebuild.

Other than Edler (who won’t waive) and Tanev (who we pretty much need to help Juolevi’s development, along with the fact that the oft injured Tanev won’t get us much anyways), what exactly would we be “stripping down?”

Are guys like Sutter, Gagner, Eriksson, and Gudbranson really moveable right now? Would we get much value for those guys? I’m not so sure.

If prospect development is the key here, then I think bringing in a guy like Tavares would greatly help someone like Pettersson, not only from a mentorship angle, but also in terms of allowing Pettersson to spend some time on the wing just in case he’s not physically ready to be a center right away (at the NHL level).

Sign Tavares and Mike Green on grossly overpaid shorter term contracts. Get into the playoffs, and get the future core of this team (Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, etc) some valuable playoff experience.

There’s no point hiding behind the pretext of a rebuild because you aren’t over 2011, or feel that pushing for the playoffs is pointless since “we wouldn’t win the cup anyways.”

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
What do you imagine 4 years of Tavares would accomplish here? Are we taking a multi cup dynasty, or just a single cup?

Tavares coming here gets us into the playoffs.

Helping the future core of this team (Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, etc.) get some much needed valuable playoff experience. Get these competing every night and going into each season thinking that they’ll make the playoffs.

Once Tavares is off the books in 4 years, all of Pettersson, Dahlen, Horvat, Boeser, etc., will be in their primes and will have had some solid playoff experience......and they’ll be ready to take the next step.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Other than Edler (who won’t waive) and Tanev (who we pretty much need to help Juolevi’s development, along with the fact that the oft injured Tanev won’t get us much anyways), what exactly would we be “stripping down?”

Are guys like Sutter, Gagner, Eriksson, and Gudbranson really moveable right now? Would we get much value for those guys? I’m not so sure.

If prospect development is the key here, then I think bringing in a guy like Tavares would greatly help someone like Pettersson, not only from a mentorship angle, but also in terms of allowing Pettersson to spend some time on the wing just in case he’s not physically ready to be a center right away (at the NHL level).

Sign Tavares and Mike Green on grossly overpaid shorter term contracts. Get into the playoffs, and get the future core of this team (Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, etc) some valuable playoff experience.

There’s no point hiding behind the pretext of a rebuild because you aren’t over 2011, or feel that pushing for the playoffs is pointless since “we wouldn’t win the cup anyways.”

Hell, I'm not over 1978. But I'm totally over middling around in the lower middle rent district of the standings. It just isn't satifying to me; we been hanging around mostly in that vicinity since the advent of the franchise. I can't do lower middle class anymore...give me Main and Hastings instead for a few years until we get our shit together. I want to be the Winnipeg Jets.

Tavares won't be coming anyway. Not a chance.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Helping the future core of this team (Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, etc.) get some much needed valuable playoff experience. Get these competing every night and going into each season thinking that they’ll make the playoffs.

Once Tavares is off the books in 4 years, all of Pettersson, Dahlen, Horvat, Boeser, etc., will be in their primes and will have had some solid playoff experience......and they’ll be ready to take the next step.

So the rebuild is over, as soon as our current prospect pool all make the NHL and get some playoff experience? Like, other than Tavares, every core piece we need is already here?

You’re sure about that?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

f*** peaking as a four and done playoff team and sliding back to familiar climes again. The thing we need to do is to get off that merry go round.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Nope, all they need is some playoff experience and apparently our defense will be fixed. Cause that’s all that’s missing. Playoff experience.
The thing is, I'm sixty years old and coming to grips with the fact that I will never see this team win more than a round in the playoffs again. It's just not going to happen in my lifetime. :(

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
The Canucks are not more talented than the Islanders and Tavares couldn't get them to the playoffs. It would be a terrible signing that would ruin the rebuild.

Lose for Hughes baby.

Reactions: yvrtojfk

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So the rebuild is over, as soon as our current prospect pool all make the NHL and get some playoff experience? Like, other than Tavares, every core piece we need is already here?

You’re sure about that?

???

No. You keep filling the pipeline with prospects obviously. With Tavares here however, I just think the prospects (even if they come from lower parts of the draft), come into a much healthier and motivated environment.

Again - it just all comes down to what you think is a better way of rebuilding:

Option #1: Be a bottom feeder for years on end, with the hope that you "win the lottery" and draft a Generational Superstar or enough High end franchise stars to carry your team forward.

Option #2: Create a solid environment where a young team is consistently pushing for and making the playoffs. Draft players and prospects from the middle rounds, and inject them into a young and motivated environment.........lead by the likes of Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, and what will hopefully be a core defensive piece from this draft.

Many on here think that #1 is better. I personally believe that #2 is better. More times than not, #1 leads to a "dead" internal atmosphere and players that have lost their spirit. Teams like Edmonton, Buffalo, Arizona, etc., etc. have been unfortunate examples of this. More times than not, the "success" stories that come out of option #1 are from organizations that have been in a rut for over 10+ years. The people that are praising a team like Winnipeg now, aren't factoring in the years of abuse they took.

FYI - Vancouver's current best player was drafted at #23. What does that tell you?

Take a look at Boston right now and how quickly they turned things around. Draft picks and prospects drafted pretty much anywhere but the top...........and are now surrounded by a great leadership group that consists of Bergeron, Krejci, Chara, and Marchand.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
If we had not ueleslly won two of the final couple a games wed be picking third and have our choice of

Zadina
Wahlstorm
Boquist
Kotkaniemi

Let that sink in for a second :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad