Post-Game Talk: With 58% odds to pick 7th or 8th, Vancouver will select... 7th in the 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Fair enough but these guys are not wired to go through the motions and try and lose so the team gets a better draft pick. It sucks but ultimately it’s hard to control.

Maybe the time has come to give every non playoff team the same odds at number one and handicap it that a team can’t get first more than once every five years.

I blame the coach and GM for the most part.

Motte, Jokinen and whoever else are trying to play for jobs next season. They are hungry and putting in a full effort, going the extra mile.

I don't mind the few wins after the twins announced their retirement, that was going to happen. But I do mind a team being coached and managed to win meaningless games. If it was prospects leading us to victory it is what it is... but it was NHL vets fighting for future jobs instead.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Motte, Jokinen and whoever else are trying to play for jobs next season. They are hungry and putting in a full effort, going the extra mile.

I don't mind the few wins after the twins announced their retirement, that was going to happen. But I do mind a team being coached and managed to win meaningless games. If it was prospects leading us to victory it is what it is... but it was NHL vets fighting for future jobs instead.

This, this, a thousand times this.

We were giving big minutes to f***in Brandon Sutter and Jussi Jokinen to end the season.
Neither of these players will be part of the core here that gets us back to playoffs.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
I’m no fan of Brandon Sutter but that comment was uncalled for or perhaps you don’t watch many games. He is a solid hard working player who has been misused here. Yes he is overpaid but that ain’t his fault. I don’t want him on the team at that cap hit but he is a consummate pro and he is one of the few forwards or players on the team for that matter that can play defence.
Sutter only upped his game when it hurt “the tank” and then called out fans for not being real fans. Sutter and gudbranson are the poster boys for the “anti-rebuild less then mediocre forever” movement

Reactions: racerjoe

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018

I agree completely with you on this part. Jokinen shouldn't have been put in. If the narrative is to rebuild and give the younger guys more opportunities why put Jokinen with the twins. Why even play him at all?

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
Things have changed since 10 years ago.
Back then making tribute videos to Naslund and Bertuzzi was the thing, now it’s blast management and their crap.
That’s just how it’s going to be until we are legitimate contenders

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
This forum essentially exists for people to vent and complain about the shitty direction of the club. It's not like there are many things we have to be positive about other than Pettersson and Boeser.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Benning will obviously make a bad pick because Boeser and Pettersson aren’t picks made by him. He wasn’t the GM for those two drafts

Jesus Christ, I’m no Benning supporter but some of you need to grow up and learn look at thing objectively.

Enough with this “he can’t do any good, he can only do bad” childish mindset

Walk away with one of
Boqvist/ Dobson/Hughes/Welshtrom
then I’m happy

Do you want whine with that cheese?

Maybe you and Zippgunn should start growing up yourselves and lose that petty attitude before accusing others if you cant seem to comprehend he has made bad picks without any guidance. Jude and Gradin were likely the main contributors for the Boeser and Elias picks respectively.

I'll take Boqvist or Wahlstrom.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Things have changed since 10 years ago.
Back then making tribute videos to Naslund and Bertuzzi was the thing, now it’s blast management and their crap.

Back then the team was good and run competently. Now we've been the worst team in the NHL over a 3-season stretch while being run by one of the most incompetent management groups in the modern history of NA pro sports.

That fans are more negative is surprising to you?

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
This forum essentially exists for people to vent and complain about the ****ty direction of the club. It's not like there are many things we have to be positive about other than Pettersson and Boeser.

Well there you go.

Theres rarely anything positive to talk about other than the aforementioned players, Demko and Horvat.

If only Benning and the bag of misfits were never hired, people would be a lot more positive for this team. Even if you hire a monkey to deal with trade negotiations and signing contracts, they will likely do a better job than Benning because doing nothing would actually improve the future of this team than making moves that Benning did.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Back then the team was good and run competently. Now we've been the worst team in the NHL over a 3-season stretch while being run by one of the most incompetent management groups in the modern history of NA pro sports.

That fans are more negative is surprising to you?

Only on this board, were it seems like it’s their life to spur on the management team.

I know this team won’t be a contender for years, so I’m enjoying the rebuild/retool/whatever you call it.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Only on this board, were it seems like it’s their life to spur on the management team.

I know this team won’t be a contender for years, so I’m enjoying the rebuild/retool/whatever you call it.

Maybe cause it’s the only place that seems to tolerate a critical viewpoint of this team? I have no problem that places that are largely pro management like CDC exist, yet it seems to bother some to no end that this place exists. Like I get it if you disagree and want to challenge that viewpoint. What I don’t get is wading through it just to whine and bitch about the people who have that viewpoint.

Like, isn’t the simple solution just to stick to CDC or Reddit?

Reactions: BlueGreen

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Maybe cause it’s the only place that seems to tolerate a critical viewpoint of this team? I have no problem that places that are largely pro management like CDC exist, yet it seems to bother some to no end that this place exists. Like I get it if you disagree and want to challenge that viewpoint. What I don’t get is wading through it just to whine and ***** about the people who have that viewpoint.

Like, isn’t the simple solution just to stick to CDC or Reddit?

I escaped CDC because of all their bullshit, so I went here.

Reactions: brokenhole

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Do you want whine with that cheese?

Maybe you and Zippgunn should start growing up yourselves and lose that petty attitude before accusing others if you cant seem to comprehend he has made bad picks without any guidance. Jude and Gradin were likely the main contributors for the Boeser and Elias picks respectively.

I'll take Boqvist or Wahlstrom.
Yeah sure,it’s all Gradin and Jude, the GM of this team has absolutely nothing to do with good drafts but he’s 100% responsible for the unimpressive one .
Why give out credits when it’s due when you can just say things that fits your own narrative

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah sure,it’s all Gradin and Jude, the GM of this team has absolutely nothing to do with good drafts but he’s 100% responsible for the unimpressive one .
Why give out credits when it’s due when yo can just twist things to fit your own narrative

Sometimes reality isn’t fair?

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I can live with 7th overall.

I like Wahlstrom but I honestly feel any of Quinn Hughes, Adam Boqvist, Evan Bouchard, or Noah Dobson can be a future 1st pairing guy for this team moving forward. I want us to specifically focus on D. GMs do stupid things though, so what I'm going to do is post a top 7, and whoever is the best left over player at that spot, that's who I want.

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Boqvist
5. Hughes
6. Dobson
7. Bouchard

No big surprises there. Pick the best player left over. Aside from the top 3, Boqvist is the guy I really want and is the guy I desperately hope falls to us (and there could be something to that). Something tells me if he's available to Detroit, they're not missing out on him. But honestly who knows! I can see Ottawa targeting someone like Tkachuk and Arizona going for another D-man here.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Sometimes reality isn’t fair?
Reality?
The reality is Benning butched his first draft, had a very solid one in 2015, made a big mistake in 2016, and got us a blue chip last year follow up by some solid power cod in late rounds.
So it’s a 50/50 so far

It’s not the “ Benning will definitely make bad picks” narrative that some people here are trying to push

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Why give out credits when it’s due when you can just say things that fits your own narrative

They are all responsible for the bad drafts as well (there were reports that Benning was high on Juolevi and Virtanen for starters), difference is they contributed more to the good picks of actually evaluating the players and watching them play. These two scouts know how to evaluate talent.

He gets credit when he actually does something that is productive for this team, but apparently that must be a narrative too right? Let me guess, you were satisfied with his deadline deals.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Reality?
The reality is Benning butched his first draft, had a very solid one in 2015, made a big mistake in 2016, and got us a blue chip last year follow up by some solid power cod in late rounds.
So it’s a 50/50 so far

It’s not the “ Benning will definitely make bad picks” narrative that some people here are trying to push

Given how he has delivered, it's really hard to be optimistic. I'll go ahead and say it will be 50/50 if it makes you feel any better.

He isn't really elite at drafting as you're making him out to be.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
They are all responsible for the bad drafts as well (there were reports that Benning was high on Juolevi and Virtanen for starters), difference is they contributed more to the good picks of actually evaluating the players and watching them play. These two scouts know how to evaluate talent.

He gets credit when he actually does something that is productive for this team, but apparently that must be a narrative too right? Let me guess, you were satisfied with his deadline deals.
Have even read my origoval post?
What the hell are you even talking about
I was simply referring to people will keep whining about how JB is gonna make a bad pick and it’s 100% a fact

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Tavares wants to win a cup. Why would he come to this tire fire in Vancouver?

Tavares can do both.

1) Make a BOATLOAD of money in Vancouver. 56 million in 4 years. 4 year contract with Vancouver + 6 year deal with contender = more money than 7 year deal with contender at the start + wimpy 2-3 year deal (34 year old Tavares likely won’t get offered a huge contract).

2) 31 year old Tavares can then go after a Stanley Cup when his contract with Vancouver expires (whether that’s with Vancouver if Vancouver is a contender at the time, or another team). 31 year old Tavares will still be young enough and good enough to land a big long term contract with a contender.

End result? More overall money in his bank account + a legit opportunity to go after a cup or two in his prime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad