Post-Game Talk: With 58% odds to pick 7th or 8th, Vancouver will select... 7th in the 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Anyone got a video of Bennings reaction to us losing the lottery this year?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I dont know ....
Baerstchi Tavares Boeser
Petterson Horvat Virtanen
Eriksson Sutter Granlund
Gagne Gaunce Leipsic

Edler Carlson
Del Zotto Tanev
Hutton Stecher

Mark
Nil
... not too shabby.

Pettersson is a RW for now until he transition to center. Virtanen is RW as well. Also Virtanen should not be in the top 6. One more also is that Virtanen is going to do his end to end rushes instead of getting the puck to Pettersson

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Canucks has average 2.33 goal a game the last 3 seasons. Last in the nhl. A lot of people seem to be leaning towards drafting a dman. Offence is a major weakness as well as defence. I would draft Wahlstrom. This player has major skill. I see a bigger version of Parise. Great hands, great skating, great shot. Adding Wahlstrom to Pettersson Boeser and Horvat. The offence is set for the next 10 years.

To solve the backend. Try to trade Tanev for top 20 pick and a D prospect. Draft a Dman with the extra pick. Also in the later rounds Benning can focus on the backend. It's easier to find potential top 4 D in later rounds than scoring forwards. Benning in 2014 drafted two potential top 4 D in later rounds. Forsling and Tryamkin.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Dobson is a safe pick. I think he's a stronger prospect than Juolevi, who was also seen as a safe pick.

The only thing is that he's out of the Q. But that's not enough to drop his stock.
He is absolutely the safe pick, I usually hate safe picks, but his size makes up for a lot of the fears I have with him.

I definitely think he is better than Juolevi,
Juolevi even looked garbage in his highlights. How do you look bad in highlights?

I am still leaning towards Hughes, but I won't throw a fit if it's dobson.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
He is absolutely the safe pick, I usually hate safe picks, but his size makes up for a lot of the fears I have with him.

I definitely think he is better than Juolevi,
Juolevi even looked garbage in his highlights. How do you look bad in highlights?

I am still leaning towards Hughes, but I won't throw a fit if it's dobson.

Hughes has massive bust potential.

But he could also be the next Gostesbehere.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Just curious, but why do you think he has bust potential?

He's playing well in one of the most competitive leagues of any of his comparables available in the same range.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I mean Torey Krug too, right? When I watched Hughes, I noticed he's really good at finding open space. He almost never gets hit. If he was getting a rough ride I could see it, but I don't know. I think he's pretty safe, it's just how good is he going to be. Hughes is pretty similar size to Krug.

But yeah, I know what you mean. In all fairness, it's pretty rare a smaller D man gets drafted high and busts. Subban was a third rounder for a reason. Look at Ryan Ellis. He's bigger than Hughes, if we're thinking Hughes is 5'8 or 5'9, but Hughes could easily get another inch.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Canucks has average 2.33 goal a game the last 3 seasons. Last in the nhl. A lot of people seem to be leaning towards drafting a dman. Offence is a major weakness as well as defence. I would draft Wahlstrom. This player has major skill. I see a bigger version of Parise. Great hands, great skating, great shot. Adding Wahlstrom to Pettersson Boeser and Horvat. The offence is set for the next 10 years.

To solve the backend. Try to trade Tanev for top 20 pick and a D prospect. Draft a Dman with the extra pick. Also in the later rounds Benning can focus on the backend. It's easier to find potential top 4 D in later rounds than scoring forwards. Benning in 2014 drafted two potential top 4 D in later rounds. Forsling and Tryamkin.

I don't know who all the dman are that are available but the blueline is a big factor in our anaemic offence the last few years. Over the last 3 seasons our top offensive performance from the Blueline was Alex Edler this year scoring 70-6-28-34. Then there were 6 more totals in the 20-25 point rangeand another 8 in the 10-19 points.

While your forwards are the primary scorers on the team you can never discount the impact having a quality dman or two can have on a teams overall offense. Perhaps the best example of this is Oilers with Chris Pronger. In 2005-06 Pronger had 56 points and Edmonton scored 256 goals. Of course they lost him the next season, but added two top six forwards Petr Sykora and Joffrey Lupul (scored 40-15-16-31 and 81-28-25-53 in 05-06 respectively)... and their team goal total dropped to 195. With Pronger on the team their top 4 forwards averaged 70 points. Without him next season they averaged 50 points.

In other words yes we really need dmen, so hopefully a good one is there at #7 as the BPA.

Reactions: CanaFan

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I have no independent opinion about who the Canucks should take; I haven't seen these players, and even if I had, I'm no scout.

Judging by what the experts say, however, I'm surprised that Dobson doesn't rank higher. When they describe the different D-men at the top of the draft, it always sounds to me like Dobson is the guy, and then they rank him lower. Puzzling. It's as though it's just not fashionable to credit play in the defensive zone at all, because you risk sounding like a dinosaur who favours plodding Andrew Alberts types.

It's primarily because he's a QMJHL d-man.

Reactions: lindgren

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I don't know who all the dman are that are available but the blueline is a big factor in our anaemic offence the last few years. Over the last 3 seasons our top offensive performance from the Blueline was Alex Edler this year scoring 70-6-28-34. Then there were 6 more totals in the 20-25 point rangeand another 8 in the 10-19 points.

While your forwards are the primary scorers on the team you can never discount the impact having a quality dman or two can have on a teams overall offense. Perhaps the best example of this is Oilers with Chris Pronger. In 2005-06 Pronger had 56 points and Edmonton scored 256 goals. Of course they lost him the next season, but added two top six forwards Petr Sykora and Joffrey Lupul (scored 40-15-16-31 and 81-28-25-53 in 05-06 respectively)... and their team goal total dropped to 195. With Pronger on the team their top 4 forwards averaged 70 points. Without him next season they averaged 50 points.

In other words yes we really need dmen, so hopefully a good one is there at #7 as the BPA.

Yes yes and yes. That's why I have a game plan to get more scoring and get some defence.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Dobson, Hughes, Tkachuk, Zadina, Wahlstrom, Bouchard, Bobqvist are all on the same tier imo...Just pick a name out of a hat I wouldnt be surprised to see any one of them turn into a star.

Feb 19, 2018
At this point I’m happy with whoever we take in the draft due to our Strengths in scouting. If it’s an American kid you know he’ll probably pan out due to Judd and if it’s the Swedish kid you know Gradin pushed hard for him and you can’t argue with that track record. I’m also confident in the CHL Defenseman available as this year at 7 it’s cant miss.

Hurry up draft day!

Reactions: GoTeamDom

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Agreed we need offense BADLY. Kotkaniemi or Wahllsy

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Warming up to the idea of Noah Dobson, Watched clips of him for a good hr.

Seems like a decent skater, has a good shot, Very good size.

Ditto.

Out of all the defensemen outside of Dahlin, Dobson is my number one choice. While I don’t think he particular excels in any one area (which leads me to believe that he likely won’t be a superstar in the NHL), he’s “very good” in almost all areas.

I see Dobson being a very good 2nd pairing defenseman while not looking completely out of place on a number one pairing playing with an ‘alpha.’

While I think Boqvist has a higher ceiling than Dobson, there is far more risk associated in drafting him in my opinion. But then again, I felt that way about Sergachev which is why I preferred Juolevi at the time. :/

Bouchard is the one guy that I’m NOT sold on. I don’t like his skating.

So yeah, out of all the D outside of Dahlin, Dobson is my guy. Having said all that, I’m really high on both Wahlstrom and Kotkaniemi. I might have a difficult time saying no to either of those guys if they are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->