Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Tpo 4 or 5 I don't know. City is really not attractive to footballers and....their wives.
London, Paris, Turin, Barcelona, Madrid, Roma, Munich, Monaco, etc... have the upper hand in that regard.
Then you have to factor in the rest of the factors as you said.
But the city IS an important factor, especially these days.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
So I've read Belfodil (Standard Liege) is going to Everton

Haven't seen him since he left Italy. But he was god awful towards the end of his stint in Italy after showing enough promise for Inter to pay 10m for half ownership of him. 1 goal in his last 48 Serie A games. But I can see he got some goals under his belt once he left. Hopefully he can continue.

In other Inter news, they've since Gagliardini at €22m (1.5yr loan + obligation to buy)

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Tpo 4 or 5 I don't know. City is really not attractive to footballers and....their wives.
London, Paris, Turin, Barcelona, Madrid, Roma, Munich, Monaco, etc... have the upper hand in that regard.
Then you have to factor in the rest of the factors as you said.
But the city IS an important factor, especially these days.

The City is important, but the other factors balance it out some. I would also say that having a contingent of Brazilians, that could at least balance some concerns if that's an issue. It's certainly more Pittsburgh than Los Angeles or New York for an American comparison, but it isn't the complete dump that it has been in the past. There's a few areas that are improving and the rebuild of the Main Stand offered some facilities to be refurbished. Sure, Anfield was historic, but the innards of the stadium were ancient in a bad way.

For what it's worth, if you go to London, you might be on a club that's the 3rd or 4th most important in your town. So it's not always the same. I would also say living in Madrid or Barcelona is much different then London or Paris for a South American player, so it could depend on where the player is from.

I said arguably top 4-5, because they do have a lot of the other elements to offer. The question though might come down to what wages they're willing to pay.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Some people prefer smaller & quiet cities over big metropole. Its all case by case... but I also think the manager has an even bigger impact in the decision over the city.

Personally I would like to live in Paris but with Emery as the manager I would definately say no...
On the opposite I hate Real Madrid with a passion but I wouldn't mind being coached by Zidane.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Liverpool get CL with Klopp at the helm and they pay him handsomely I like liverpool chances to get him.

You're confident in LFC being able to pull Brandt under those conditions? Why? He'all have much more exciting clubs offering him much higher wage packets.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
You're confident in LFC being able to pull Brandt under those conditions? Why? He'all have much more exciting clubs offering him much higher wage packets.
Yes. Bayern is the top german club and the obvious favourite but if Brandt want to test himself in the EPL, I like Liverpool chances with Klopp.

Klopp was able to convince Mane to join Liverpool over Manchester United it's not impossible he is able to convince Brandt to join. I never said Liverpool were the favourites just that they do have a legit shot.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Doesn't matter if players would go to Liverpool because they don't spend money on anyone.

I don't quite know if you're being completely sarcastic, but I do agree that they're not in the market to break the bank for players. Klopp doesn't do it, FSG wants value, their sporting director (or whatever silly title they're giving him) is known to maximize value, and that's how it's been the last few windows.

That said, they've spent pretty hefty sums on Mane, given solid wages to Matip and have at least indicated they're willing to spend if the right players are available.

If they make the CL, they're going to be forced to spend. Their squad isn't deep enough and the young kids aren't ready. The only way that doesn't occur is if they either get a silly deal for a player from China (Sturridge?) or Coutinho and the Barca bid really has more than a bit of smoke (I think it's too soon with his latest injury) to which point they would have the dollars to balance the books and some forced buying.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Not being sarcastic at all, they are trying to make top four with a squad that isn't big enough and they didn't spend anything in the summer. That's the definition of being cheap.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Haven't seen him since he left Italy. But he was god awful towards the end of his stint in Italy after showing enough promise for Inter to pay 10m for half ownership of him. 1 goal in his last 48 Serie A games. But I can see he got some goals under his belt once he left. Hopefully he can continue.

In other Inter news, they've since Gagliardini at €22m (1.5yr loan + obligation to buy)
Yeah he had some person problems during his time in Inter

He has been great this season with Standard Liege, but the move would be too early imo

I would like to see him complete the season in Belgium before moving to England

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Dahoud might go depending on how Gladbach does in the Rückrunde

I think there's a very good chance Dahoud leaves this summer, but again, there will be a lot of other clubs interested, some of which might be more attractive than Liverpool.

Yes. Bayern is the top german club and the obvious favourite but if Brandt want to test himself in the EPL, I like Liverpool chances with Klopp.

Klopp was able to convince Mane to join Liverpool over Manchester United it's not impossible he is able to convince Brandt to join. I never said Liverpool were the favourites just that they do have a legit shot.

Well you said "you like Liverpool's chances to get him" if they were willing to dish out the money so you can see where the confusion stems from.

Liverpool is hardly a step up competitively from Leverkusen - a team that you'd expect to make it out of the group stages if they qualify for the CL, but still an outsider to win a domestic or European title, albeit with a better coach than Leverkusen. They have more money, but so do the giant clubs. Brandt will be 21 this summer - an age at which players of his ability typically think of moving to a giant club where they can win titles for years to come. I'd be really surprised if he goes anywhere but Bayern. This summer or the one after.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Telegraph reporting that Swansea and Norwich have agreed on a £5m fee for Martin Olsson.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Toprak to Dortmund (summer) almost done.

Juve are interested in Kolasinac (Schalke 04)

Süle (20m) and Rudy (no fee) to Bayern (summer) almost done.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Slaven Bilic just said that Payet asked for a transfer and is out of contention for the Palace game on Saturday.

No idea who's interested, there've been rumors about Marseille, ManU, Chelsea, etc.
Who knows at this point...

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Yeah he had some person problems during his time in Inter

He has been great this season with Standard Liege, but the move would be too early imo

I would like to see him complete the season in Belgium before moving to England

I don't know, Standard are a mess this season and they are in real danger of missing out on the Championship playoffs. If they do, Belfodil's season would basically be over in March.

But anyway, it they do sell him, that's a fantastic deal for them. Signed him on a free in September, sell him for €12m just 4 months later :amazed:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Slaven Bilic just said that Payet asked for a transfer and is out of contention for the Palace game on Saturday.

No idea who's interested, there've been rumors about Marseille, ManU, Chelsea, etc.
Who knows at this point...

Holding the club hostage mid-season like that is such a garbage move. You know they would have sold him in the summer, anyway.

He's played all season like he didn't want to be here, so whatever.

DanishPastry

Mar 6, 2013
Holding the club hostage mid-season like that is such a garbage move. You know they would have sold him in the summer, anyway.

He'll be 34 by the time his contract expires. Flash in a pan type of career if he sits out until then.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
He'll be 34 by the time his contract expires. Flash in a pan type of career if he sits out until then.

They'll sell him the summer, they were always going to. Which makes his decision to sit out now pretty bizarre, frankly. He gains nothing but bad publicity.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I don't know, Standard are a mess this season and they are in real danger of missing out on the Championship playoffs. If they do, Belfodil's season would basically be over in March.

But anyway, it they do sell him, that's a fantastic deal for them. Signed him on a free in September, sell him for €12m just 4 months later :amazed:

Yup.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

I agree.
He's played like hot garbage really, and hot garbage that doesn't wanna be there - and at the same time, you're not allowed to take him off because he's Payet.

I actually think selling him, putting Antonio and Feghouli/Ayew on the wings with Lanzini in the middle (combined with a new striker) might do WHU a world of good.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
There are rumors he might be back with Marseille. But that's Payet. He left Marseille because a salary decrease clause was triggered due to missing out on champions league.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I mean, I get the guy feels he's good enough to play for a better team...

But surely, signing a 5-year contract for ridiculous money should money something for a professional?

Either way, sure, they should sell him and move on...
But footballers signing contract and then playing until they feel like it is a tad ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad