Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yea, I'm going to assume Schneiderlin will go to Everton and play well. I think he's got quality, but for some reason it just didn't work at United.

He was good in Southampton under Koeman, and now he's going to Everton to play for him. I expect him to bounce back for sure.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Gomez is taking Lucas spot. Sakho isn't getting games anyway. I do think he underestimated how many players he needed this term though, but I didn't think that he anticipated needed wingers this bad. But I also don't think he settled on a 433 until late in the preseason either when most of the work was already done.

Coutinho is back and I think he can use Lallana on the wing. Firmino and Origi to some extent can be used on the wing if needed. I think they need a CB more.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Coutinho is back and I think he can use Lallana on the wing. Firmino and Origi to some extent can be used on the wing if needed. I think they need a CB more.

Gomez is their solution at CB; rightfully or wrongfully.

Those aren't good solutions on the wings. It slows them down too much comparatively to when Mane is in. Not too mention none of those players are nearly as effective at that position.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I'll wait to see what they do or not do during this period, but recognizing and admitting you need some more depth at wing, and then not addressing it is completely unacceptable. Finishing in a Champions League spot this year is an absolute must.

Don't care about Lucas, other then the fact that if they are moving on from him, it should be an outright sell rather than loan to an Italian club like Inter, which accomplishes nothing. Pretty confident Kevin Stewart can replace him.

I'd much rather play Sahko than buy a CB. If the relationship cannot be mended, then sell him in the summer. You'd still probably be more likely to get your asking price (or closer to it) under that situation of him at least playing than the one now. In other words, you're not getting your asking price with him in his current form of not playing.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'll wait to see what they do or not do during this period, but recognizing and admitting you need some more depth at wing, and then not addressing it is completely unacceptable. Finishing in a Champions League spot this year is an absolute must.

Don't care about Lucas, other then the fact that if they are moving on from him, it should be an outright sell rather than loan to an Italian club like Inter, which accomplishes nothing. Pretty confident Kevin Stewart can replace him.

I'd much rather play Sahko than buy a CB. If the relationship cannot be mended, then sell him in the summer. You'd still probably be more likely to get your asking price (or closer to it) under that situation of him at least playing than the one now. In other words, you're not getting your asking price with him in his current form of not playing.

The availability of the wing players that LFC wants this window is highly questionable and they don't seem like they want a band-aid. If they can get someone they planned for in the summer I think they pull the trigger.

As for Sakho the bridge is clearly burnt. The 4 CBs they will go with are Matip, Lovren, Klavan Gomez. Klopp already said he won't make a signing to further push Gomez down the depth chart either.

oilers92

Jan 26, 2010
Edmonton
Any update on Lindelof to United?

dont know if true but read that benfica are the ones making all the noise on the transfer as he has a 30mil buy out clause that kicks in in the summer and are trying to offload him for more before it takes affect.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The availability of the wing players that LFC wants this window is highly questionable and they don't seem like they want a band-aid. If they can get someone they planned for in the summer I think they pull the trigger.

As for Sakho the bridge is clearly burnt. The 4 CBs they will go with are Matip, Lovren, Klavan Gomez. Klopp already said he won't make a signing to further push Gomez down the depth chart either.

Agree.

I can't see Liverpool doing much just because Mane leaves for AFCON. They knew this before the season started so reacting to it now doesn't make any sense. Of course they could still end up getting someone, but it would have to make sense long term. Not sure if that player is available in January.

Most players don't really live up to expectations anyway. Borini, Markovic etc. - so you don't really want the handicap of having to only choose from players that are for whatever reason available in January when it is that hard in the first place to find the right players.

There are 6 clubs that "must" qualify for the CL. 2 of them will fail. I certainly don't see Liverpool "musting" this more than any of the others. And they definitely don't have the financial muscles to secure such a spot by just spending more than the others. I think they more or less just got to ride what they got - which could still work.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liverpool doesn't really need to buy anyone. Gomez is already very good and will only improve. Lots of wide options too from youth. It would be nice to have a speedy winger in the Mane mould but it'll be fine I think.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool doesn't really need to buy anyone. Gomez is already very good and will only improve. Lots of wide options too from youth. It would be nice to have a speedy winger in the Mane mould but it'll be fine I think.

If the wide options from you youth team can't handle Plymouth they probably can't help LFC title charge.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If the wide options from you youth team can't handle Plymouth they probably can't help LFC title charge.

Meh...Plymouth did absolutely nothing, that match was completely one sided and Liverpool could have easily had a few goals on a different night. Hardly an example of them not handling things.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't think they have a giant issue. With Ojo coming back from a long term injury, it's going to take some time, but he should add some depth when they need a body for the spring period.

While they're a bit hectic matches wise because of the Winter period, they also don't have the Europe matches all of their opponents sans Chelsea have.

I think they could stand to add a player, but they're not going to go out and pay 25 million for a player who might not be an upgrade on anything. Why spend that money if you think you can get someone better come summer. Or if he's going to sit the bench most days when Mane returns.

I also think something to consider is the fact that he can easily switch systems if you're concerned with the amount of wingers. Play 4-4-2 with a diamond, getting both strikers in.

I also think a place that's being somewhat neglected is fullback. I don't think Moreno can hold the position for any time of a potential Milner absence. It's also basically Clyne and that's it. Alexander-Arnold's a good one for the future, but there's no way I want to see him going against men regularly at pace and size.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't mind Liverpool not doing anything during the winter transfer period but they better do something in the summer to finally get the player they want... (Dahoud, Pulisic or Brandt)... they have the money no doubt but they better be ready to overpay for them if they really want them. If they wait that long and they don't get their primary targets then it's a huge fail.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I don't mind Liverpool not doing anything during the winter transfer period but they better do something in the summer to finally get the player they want... (Dahoud, Pulisic or Brandt)... they have the money no doubt but they better be ready to overpay for them if they really want them. If they wait that long and they don't get their primary targets then it's a huge fail.

Would they even come over if Liverpool doesn't make it in the top 4?

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Brandt and Pulisic are going to be huge long shots in the summer too... probably Dahoud as well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I could see Brandt going for zillion of money next summer, but with lots of competition, big fishes too.
Bayern will probably sign him in the end anyway.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I could see Brandt going for zillion of money next summer, but with lots of competition, big fishes too.
Bayern will probably sign him in the end anyway.

I agree and that's my point.. If they really want him they better be ready to severely overpay for him which seem to be normal now for top young player. I mean if Liverpool are ready to pay upward €70M for him then fine but don't wait to "have him cheaper" and then lose him to another big player.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If Liverpool get CL with Klopp at the helm and they pay him handsomely I like liverpool chances to get him.

They won't pay 70 million pounds for him.

They have the finances with the CL (if that's what they get) to go out and get a big piece or two (they've turned a profit in the market the past couple of windows) if they want. But yes, they will have to get a player to come there as opposed to another big club.

That said, I think Klopp, an attacking Liverpool willing to spend, with an energized Anfield is a tempting offer, especially for a quality German. Can that beat Barca or Real? No. It probably can't. But they're certainly positioning themselves to be one of the top 4 or 5 places players might entertain going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad