Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They were the best team in the league last year. This year, they look likely to be in the top 4 in a very good year for the league. I think they are improving.

Actually Leicester was the best team in the league last year. And Arsenal was the 2nd best and Spuds was the 3rd best. But I mean 3rd is close enough to first right?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Actually Leicester was the best team in the league last year. And Arsenal was the 2nd best and Spuds was the 3rd best. But I mean 3rd is close enough to first right?

Leicester were champions, sure. They did great.

But if you were actually watching the games, I'd say Spurs were playing better football overall, as was Arsenal.

Leicester was insanely lucky last year, both with injuries and some ridiculous refereeing decisions and Vardy's ability to flop.

No side with a 70% possession or more in the glory days of ManU or Arsenal or Chelsea had as many penalties as Leicester did last year.
It was borderline ridiculous at what kind of decisions they were getting their way, especially in the 2nd half of the season when the Cinderella story was heating up.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Walker and Rose linked to Man United. Rose linked to Man City.

Spurs would be stupid to sell either to another Premier League team.

Spurs is finally putting together a perennial top 4 contender. They have the best defense in the Premier League, and a lot of that is because they have the best RB and LB in the Premier League. Why would they get rid of two of their best players? They need to improve their team, not make it worse. They need more attacking players as good as Alli and Kane.

They won't.

60m + Shaw + Valencia might get Utd somewhere :laugh:

This has nothing to do with reality.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
According to German media Badstuber from Bayern came to an agreement with Schalke 04 (not Manchester City) for the reminder of this season. So now it depends on Bayern to seal the deal (loan).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Right now pace is something Liverpool could really need though

Yeah without Mane their attack is relatively slow compared to others. That's why they need a similar winger in moreso than any other reason; just for their shape.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
According to German media Badstuber from Bayern came to an agreement with Schalke 04 (not Manchester City) for the reminder of this season. So now it depends on Bayern to seal the deal (loan).

Badstuber also needs to agree to a contract extension first as he is in his last year of contract. And apparently he is asking for 4.5 mil per year which is quite a lot for a player who hasn't been healthy since 11/12.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Dembele is a much better player than Brandt or Pulisic though I don't know why that would come up vs. Promes. I don't think Promes is world class; I just don't have as high an opinion on Brandt or Pulisic as some do. Dembele definitely should become better than Promes, if he isn't already.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Badstuber also needs to agree to a contract extension first as he is in his last year of contract. And apparently he is asking for 4.5 mil per year which is quite a lot for a player who hasn't been healthy since 11/12.

Correct. Would you re-sign a player with his injury record? I wouldn't. But apparently Bayern are still interested in his services.
Whatever, I wish Badstuber all the best and that he stays healthy. This man is a true fighter.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

I also wondered if that is still the rule or whether they changed it. From a legal POV, employee assignment, it makes no sense for that requirement to exist (at least any more).

Either way, Bayern has officially announced he's leaving for Schalke on loan, without any report on an extension.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Moussa Dembele (the Tottenham one) apparently has an offer from China. Love him, but he's getting up there in age and we all know how much China likes to pay. Would consider it in the summer. Not now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Dembele is a much better player than Brandt or Pulisic though I don't know why that would come up vs. Promes. I don't think Promes is world class; I just don't have as high an opinion on Brandt or Pulisic as some do. Dembele definitely should become better than Promes, if he isn't already.

You haven't watched enough Spartak or Leverkusen if you think Promes matches Brandt in any category but pace.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not sure who this Promes guy is but Brandt is legit. Fantastic player.

Anyway,

- Hearing Spurs want Druissi but River want 10 million plus him to be loaned back to River.

- Also reading Spurs want Gaitain on loan

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Leicester were champions, sure. They did great.

But if you were actually watching the games, I'd say Spurs were playing better football overall, as was Arsenal.

Leicester was insanely lucky last year, both with injuries and some ridiculous refereeing decisions and Vardy's ability to flop.

No side with a 70% possession or more in the glory days of ManU or Arsenal or Chelsea had as many penalties as Leicester did last year.
It was borderline ridiculous at what kind of decisions they were getting their way, especially in the 2nd half of the season when the Cinderella story was heating up.

Playing "pretty" doesn't mean you play better soccer, whatever style gets you wins, is the better football. Arsenal play the best/prettiest football in the league typically and they haven't won a title in forever. Yes Leicester's season was a fluke and an anomaly, but over 38 games they played the best and most effective football, which Tottenham did not do. The table at the end of the year shows which team was best, worst, 11th best and Leicester was the best and Tottenham was the third best. It's pretty simple.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not sure who this Promes guy is but Brandt is legit. Fantastic player.

Anyway,

- Hearing Spurs want Druissi but River want 10 million plus him to be loaned back to River.

- Also reading Spurs want Gaitain on loan

Promes is a good, player, but I think he tops out as a good to really good player. Brandt for sure has higher ceiling than promes from what I've seen of them though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You haven't watched enough Spartak or Leverkusen if you think Promes matches Brandt in any category but pace.

I would say the same I guess? I've watched enough of both to see that Promes has a better shot, is a better dribbler, is faster and stronger on the ball for the things that are most glaring. He's also a bit better in a bunch of other things but meh. IMO, mind.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Shame it didn't work out, I quite rated him. But it looks like we got a got back a decent fee for once.

With all the Europa/FA cup games coming up, it opens up more opportunities for Fosu Mensah.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I like Klopp but he is really trimming the squad and for the last push and with Mane missing and little cover its a recipe for disaster.
Imagine selling Lucas and Sakho in the same transfer period with Matip already injured its becoming worrisome even with Gomez.
As long as he gets the right player for him im good.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I like Klopp but he is really trimming the squad and for the last push and with Mane missing and little cover its a recipe for disaster.
Imagine selling Lucas and Sakho in the same transfer period with Matip already injured its becoming worrisome even with Gomez.
As long as he gets the right player for him im good.

Gomez is taking Lucas spot. Sakho isn't getting games anyway. I do think he underestimated how many players he needed this term though, but I didn't think that he anticipated needed wingers this bad. But I also don't think he settled on a 433 until late in the preseason either when most of the work was already done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad