Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Moneyball

Although IIRC they eventually publicly abandoned the moneyball approach with the Red Sox

LFC isn't moneyball. Klopp just would rather sign a younger player who hasn't hit his apex yet.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Moneyball

Although IIRC they eventually publicly abandoned the moneyball approach with the Red Sox

The Red Sox used Billy Beane's measure of statistics to evaluate players but that is it. They were/are one of the highest spenders in the league. Liverpool is being cheap. They havent replaced Allen as a 4th/5th midfielder as Lucas is past it. Had they also have better cover at fullback, I think Milner could play on the wing.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
LFC isn't moneyball. Klopp just would rather sign a younger player who hasn't hit his apex yet.

The Red Sox used Billy Beane's measure of statistics to evaluate players but that is it. They were/are one of the highest spenders in the league. Liverpool is being cheap. They havent replaced Allen as a 4th/5th midfielder as Lucas is past it. Had they also have better cover at fullback, I think Milner could play on the wing.

I'm not saying Liverpool is using moneyball. I don't think they've publicly declared any kind of analytics initiative.

I'm saying the guys signing the checks are the guys that used moneyball and that is their reputation.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
LFC are being really cheap since Klopp appointment but who is to blame? I don't know... Klopp does not seem to mind... so I guess he decides who's in or out.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They're also forced to use that strategy.

They can't afford to go out and pay ridiculous wages to get guys who are 29-31 to come and play here and try and get them where they want to be. There's some onus to finding players who can improve both their value and their abilities at the club, so they can get where they want to go. They're not in a place where they can go spend what Chelsea or City will spend on the next Neymar or whomever from Brazil or a new German phenom who is tearing up the Bundesliga.

For every Milner, there's something to be said about the fact that in 2 or 3 years, when FSG/Klopp actually see this plan coming to fruition and being in a place to where they're going to be in the CL and be competing on all levels, he's going to be on the back slope of his career at 33-34.

Getting a player who's 22-23, is a calculated buy for where they are right now. The idea is they come in, improve their abilities and still be able to produce for a club on the upswing. The problem is players who are there in that range tend to be much more sought after and difficult to acquire. So as such, they've gone in the easier route, and bought players who were younger.

Klopp also, for better or worse, is driven to find bargains in the market. He likes taking a player, finding what they can do, and improving their game. Hungry players are what he wants. Right or wrong, I don't know if he feels that about players who are already at the top.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I would ship him to China.

Cash in on him.

At this stage though, there isn't much I wouldn't sell to China for a 500% markup if I was running a club.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
No one mentioned it here, but Jovetic went on loan to Sevilla two days ago. I really hope he can get his career back on track after injuries have destroyed him, he just now scored on his debut.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yea, Payet says he no longer wants to play for the club, but the club says they're not selling.

Sounds like he's basically sitting on the sidelines until either the club wants money or he decides he wants to play again.

My understanding is he wants to go back to France, and he's trying to force us to send him there. I'm comfortable with the team taking a hard line on this, at least until they get an offer they like (and I would be pushing hard on the China thing if possible), but I don't expect to see him in claret and blue next year. Not sure if we'll get him to play until summer, if we don't find a deal we like now.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't think it's that difficult. Yes, new language and culture. But these are modern cities we're talking about, some of them world financial centers. I.e. not bad places to be millionaires.

It's not about city or culture its about football.

Sure but look at the salaries some of these guys are getting.

They're paying Hulk like he's peak Neymar.

Salaries are ridiculous and you'll get flops or over the hill players but legit talents not any time soon.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
L'Equipe reports Payet and OM have struck a deal. But if WH doesn't sell...

Payet is proving how up and down he is, as I explained before he went to England. He's a streaky player, and clearly his streak last year lasted more than any streak before.
But he's still awfully inconsistant.
Marseille wants to spend some cash and show they mean business. They're also trying to get Morgan Sanson out of Montpellier, which is a VERY smart move. Montpellier asks for 20-25M€, which is a minimum IMO. OM will sell him for more than that after two years. PSG and Monaco should have been all over Sanson two years ago already.

Also L'Equipe reports PSG is interested in Batshuayi to backup Cavani. :facepalm:
He's a decent backup, but they'll pay a huge price (Chelsea will want to make up their stupidity) and they could get someone comparable for half the price.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It's not about city or culture its about football.

Salaries are ridiculous and you'll get flops or over the hill players but legit talents not any time soon.

Witsel, Hulk, Oscar etc. are not "legit talents"?

Payet has realistically one more big contract in him. If he can as Oscar 3-4x his salary (maybe even more after tax) I could see that being a compromise everyone could live with.

I don't believe in a mass exodus to China, but after having contemplated for some weeks on those $500k a week...... things might change for quite a few...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad