Transfer: Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion - January

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site

Big move for Araujo. Be interesting where he ends up. Lot of talk at least from MLS sources as they are signing him as depth for the first team. Not just a B team signing.

Edit: reports that paperwork didn’t arrive before deadline.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
This is the point you are all missing. They weren’t doing the journalists a favor. The journalists were just reporting this in the way to generate the most engagement. This deal was not at risk. Chelsea does not sell Jorginho to Arsenal if this deal is at risk. This isn’t rocket science
Literally every credible Chelsea source (no, not f***ing Romano) said that there was no link between the Jorg transfer and Enzo. But sure, I’ll take you over them.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Literally every credible Chelsea source (no, not f***ing Romano) said that there was no link between the Jorg transfer and Enzo. But sure, I’ll take you over them.
You must also believe in Santa Claus

I know that Chelsea x Arsenal isn’t a rivalry, but you have to be extremely gullible to believe that

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It was in tweet pages back that Brighton would have sold him for 100 million pounds, which was probably a value no team was willing to go, thus "he's not for sale."

I can't see Arsenal putting down 60+ million for him when they're going to put 80+ million for Rice. Chelsea ain't buying him if they get Endo, except if they sell Kante or other midfielders on top of him. United could be in the running for him in the summer, but a better chance they try to buy Sabitzer or someone else from the Netherlands. La Liga teams could be for him, but like I said there will be so many other players available in the summer like Rice, SMS, Zubimendi, Bellingham, Bernardo, Mount, Barella, Zaniolo, Maddison, Merino, de Jong, Paqueta, Ndidi, Tielemans, Neves, Fekir, Onana, Alvarez, Sangare, and others. I am not saying all these lads will move, but it's not just to be Caicedo.
Hmm I didn't see the 100 number from a Brighton source (admittedly may have missed this).

A team will 100% come in for him at 60 + plus million. Caicedo is a top midfield prospect that recently turned 21. It also helps that he is Premier League proven at this point. He can come into a top side and be effective and has plenty of room to continue progressing. Someone will pay the fee.

Reactions: S E P H

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This is insane for a January window....

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 7.38.17 PM.png

Reactions: gary69 and Blender

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
On the note of Chelsea's spending, pressure on Potter must be sky rocketing. So much money at his disposal and not much to speak of in terms of results.

If things aren't much better in a year that seat will be scorching hot.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
On the note of Chelsea's spending, pressure on Potter must be sky rocketing. So much money at his disposal and not much to speak of in terms of results.

If things aren't much better in a year that seat will be scorching hot.
I think the expectations will start now with this January window. We addressed most of our biggest holes with some really great young players, and the expectation will be that he play them in the best way to generate success.

That Koulibaly and Auba are atrocious or that we have 14 players out injured won't be held against him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Am I happy about the Enzo signing? Absolutely.

Am I horrified about the amounts of money set on fire this January (and last summer) with seemingly nothing coherent about any of it? Absolutely.
What wasn't coherent about the January window? The summer window was a nonsensical disaster and I was even pretty critical of the moves at the time, but stuff like Koulibaly worked out even worse than expected.

Mudryk, Madueke, and Felix provide a huge injection of talent into the attack that we severely lacked. Mudryk and Felix produced more attacking threat in their half games than some of our other forwards have produced all season.

Badiashile has been a massive upgrade at CB. He has so far brought the composure, athleticism, and passing ability we have sorely missed from CBs other than Thiago Silva. While not as aggressive as Rudiger and probably never will be, he's brought that ability to win challenges and then immediately turn it into a counter that Rudiger did so often.

Malo Gusto is cover/rotation for Reece James. James being injured has caused significant issues.

Enzo Fernandez no explanation needed. Fills a massive hole at CM and should be the linchpin player we've been lacking with Kante injured.

Andrey Santos and David Fofana are promising players for the future in positions with not a ton of depth.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
What wasn't coherent about the January window? The summer window was a nonsensical disaster and I was even pretty critical of the moves at the time, but stuff like Koulibaly worked out even worse than expected.

Mudryk, Madueke, and Felix provide a huge injection of talent into the attack that we severely lacked. Mudryk and Felix produced more attacking threat in their half games than some of our other forwards have produced all season.

Badiashile has been a massive upgrade at CB. He has so far brought the composure, athleticism, and passing ability we have sorely missed from CBs other than Thiago Silva. While not as aggressive as Rudiger and probably never will be, he's brought that ability to win challenges and then immediately turn it into a counter that Rudiger did so often.

Malo Gusto is cover/rotation for Reece James. James being injured has caused significant issues.

Enzo Fernandez no explanation needed. Fills a massive hole at CM and should be the linchpin player we've been lacking with Kante injured.

Andrey Santos and David Fofana are promising players for the future in positions with not a ton of depth.
Idk, when you put it all that way it makes sense. I'm happy with all of the signings individually (although not at the fees listed, as I said about Mudryk, and - though I don't think I really posted about it - I feel this way about Madueke also). I'm just fatigued. I miss our 2020-21 team.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Madueke signing is a big whatever but I'd be happy about all the rest, fees aren't your problem to deal with. Madueke is very fragile so we'll see how that goes.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Chelsea did nothing wrong.

Ban everyone else for not trying replicating it and giving them free run.
Chelsea spent more money than any other team has ever spent in a single transfer window. And they did it twice in back to back windows (only Real Madrid in summer 2019 spent more than they did this past summer). So to be clear, they have 2 of the 3 highest spending windows of all time.

Were they given a free run or just unlimited resources to overpay for players?

Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad