Transfer: Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion - January

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Supposedly Arsenal also want another left footed CB and another MF, although those may be summer acquisitions.

Gvardiol and Bellingham, come on down. Although I think we need a 6 more than an 8. And it seems like we'll be going after Ndicka on a free.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Supposedly Arsenal also want another left footed CB and another MF, although those may be summer acquisitions.

Gvardiol and Bellingham, come on down. Although I think we need a 6 more than an 8. And it seems like we'll be going after Ndicka on a free.
Would be totally fine with Mudryk now and Ndicka + midfielder in the summer. Haven't really seen any links to a midfielder in a while unless I missed something -- a few months ago it was all Tielemans, SMS, and Danilo. Not really sure who else we should be targeting.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
They just mentioned on the Arsenal - Newcastle broadcast that there was speculation Ronaldo's Saudi contract may have a clause for him to get loaned to Newcastle should they qualify for CL. Seems like those rumors got shot down earlier today, but it got me thinking - could the PIF potentially sign players for ridiculous fees/wages to a Saudi league team and then loan them to Newcastle on the cheap to circumvent FFP?

Edit: Not sure if the FFP regulations already include anything on related-party transactions needing to meet some kind of reasonableness standard. Can't remember if this came up for Red Bull clubs before.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
They just mentioned on the Arsenal - Newcastle broadcast that there was speculation Ronaldo's Saudi contract may have a clause for him to get loaned to Newcastle should they qualify for CL. Seems like those rumors got shot down earlier today, but it got me thinking - could the PIF potentially sign players for ridiculous fees/wages to a Saudi league team and then loan them to Newcastle on the cheap to circumvent FFP?

Edit: Not sure if the FFP regulations already include anything on related-party transactions needing to meet some kind of reasonableness standard. Can't remember if this came up for Red Bull clubs before.
there's also a limit on the number of loanees you can have from one team

Reactions: KJS14

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Didn't see where these rumours are from, but Arsenal have actually been linked to Vlahovic for the past week. Not sure where and how that came into existence, maybe that source missed the entire "Arsenal wants him but he only wants Juve" for the entire 2022 January.
Haven't really seen any links to a midfielder in a while unless I missed something -- a few months ago it was all Tielemans, SMS, and Danilo. Not really sure who else we should be targeting.
SMS and Rabiot are the biggest ones I have seen at a consistent rate. We've been linked with Skriniar, but that could be because of his contract situation. I've also seen a few for Kudas and now fellow Norwegian Sivert Mannsverk. Not sure if I see the Sivert one, he just moved to Molde recently.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Schade has reportedly completed a medical check at Brentford. Reportedly a loan for the rest of the season with a 25M buy-obligation.

PSV have reportedly made contact with BVB about bringing Malen back, after the sale of Gakpo. Though a winter sale is considered unlikely.
Didn't see where these rumours are from, but Arsenal have actually been linked to Vlahovic for the past week. Not sure where and how that came into existence, maybe that source missed the entire "Arsenal wants him but he only wants Juve" for the entire 2022 January.

SMS and Rabiot are the biggest ones I have seen at a consistent rate. We've been linked with Skriniar, but that could be because of his contract situation. I've also seen a few for Kudas and now fellow Norwegian Sivert Mannsverk. Not sure if I see the Sivert one, he just moved to Molde recently.

Arsenal & ManU have just been scouting Mannsverk for when 1.FCU sells him for 20-30M in a year or two...

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Merlo beat fab to it that’s how connect he is.

I’m any case this is gonna drag out if there’s no agreement tomorrow.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It’s actually true

Dutch Pep (and Klopp who trusts him) have taken over more influence on recruitment and that why all the back room changes.

We knew they’ve been using Dutch Pep’s tactics (the same ones that weren’t good enough and got him canned at NEC), and the team has made him more visible; but the inmate is running the asylum.

LFC throwing their infrastructure in the trash. This is so disappointing.

Here are some other cliff notes

- Dutch Pep led the charge for Luis Diaz, Darwin Nunez and Cody Gakpo. His targets that were signed off on.

- Declined signing Nkunku in favor of Darwin Nunez; that’s an interesting one.

- tunnel vision on Bellingham (we knew this)

- Wants to get Matheus Nunes after previously saying no and now willing to pay extra.

This is so ridiculous. It’s embarrassing

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Mac Allister mentioned yesterday that he is in no rush to move on from Brighton. My guess is the summer of 2024 is when we see him go on to a bigger club.

Unless we are in the CL next year!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Leipzig are sending Hugo Novoa out on loan to Basel.

Bild has linked BMG to Dusseldorf's David Kownacki. Virkus reportedly wants to share the load of replacing Thuram between the more experienced Kownacki and the young Dion Drena Beljo.

- Declined signing Nkunku in favor of Darwin Nunez; that’s an interesting one.

That feels like spin to me; Leipzig was adamant about keeping Nkunku for another year and they bought his release clause out early in the summer. Maybe they meant that you declined to pursue Nkunku rather than signing him?

I hate how much I'm sounding like Evilo with this LFC commentary lol, but add Nkunku to the list of guys that the Jude money would be better spent on...especially while Klopp is still there.

Nkunku + Kone/Thuram for the same money as Bellingham is a no-brainer to me...plus if you had Nkunku lined up for this summer, you could've saved the Gakpo money to afford both Kone & Thuram along with Nkunku.

Nkunku - Nunez - Salah
Kone - Fabinho - Thuram
Robertson - VVD - Konate - TAA
Alisson​

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We are. Either a negotiating tactic by Shakhtar to get others to pay more, or we're offloading players in the winter here.

Couldn't that be resolved by structuring any purchase as a loan with an obligation to buy, to be paid in installments? Promise them their pick of your loan army this summer to sweeten the deal without any FFP ramifications, and that all seems imminently doable if you hit their asking price.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That feels like spin to me; Leipzig was adamant about keeping Nkunku for another year and they bought out his release clause early in the summer. Maybe they meant that you declined to pursue Nkunku? Cause that phrasing makes it seem like you could've signed him but chose not to.

I hate how much I'm sounding like Evilo with this LFC commentary lol, but add Nkunku to the list of guys that the Jude money would be better spent on...especially while Klopp is still there.

Nkunku + Kone/Thuram for the same money as Bellingham is a no-brainer to me...plus if you had Nkunku lined up for this summer, you could've saved the Gakpo money for getting both Kone & Thuram along with Nkunku.
Ward wanted Nkunku. Dutch Pep wanted Darwin Nunez. Ward put in his resignation effective end of the season because he was getting overruled on targets by an assistant.

Again I mostly agree with what you are saying. I mean the argument for a “hero” midfielder is United though, right? Their midfield is trash but they brought in Casemiro instead of a bunch of depth guys and he has transformed them. But again I can only look at this through the lens that we know they are locked in on Jude.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ward wanted Nkunku. Dutch Pep wanted Darwin Nunez. Ward put in his resignation effective end of the season because he was getting overruled on targets by an assistant.

Again I mostly agree with what you are saying. I mean the argument for a “hero” midfielder is United though, right? Their midfield is trash but they brought in Casemiro instead of a bunch of depth guys and he has transformed them. But again I can only look at this through the lens that we know they are locked in on Jude.

I'm sure he wanted Nkunku. But saying that LFC "chose to sign Nunez over Nkunku" implies that Nkunku was an option for them last summer...which he wasn't...which was why that stuck out to me as odd. He will be available this summer though and his buyout clause is reasonable for a player of his caliber.

I don't think I've watched United once this season so can't comment, but I wouldn't be surprised...though even with Casemiro & Bruno, they are still desperate to spend another fortune on Frenkie because you need more than just one guy to have a great midfield week after week.

Either way, I'm not saying that a great midfielder can't have a huge impact or that Jude isn't a great midfielder. Bellingham is, and if you allow him to drive forward with the ball so he can create in the final third, he'll make a huge impact.

All I'm saying is there are other great young midfielders around, like Kone & Gravenberch, that would/would've cost a less insane amount. And I feel like you would need more than just Jude even if you do land him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm sure he wanted Nkunku. But saying that LFC "chose to sign Nunez over Nkunku" implies that Nkunku was an option for them last summer...which he wasn't...which was why that stuck out to me as odd. He will be available this summer though and his buyout clause is reasonable for a player of his caliber.

I don't think I've watched United once this season so can't comment, but I wouldn't be surprised...though even with Casemiro & Bruno, they are still desperate to spend another fortune on Frenkie because you need more than just one guy to have a great midfield week after week.

Either way, I'm not saying that a great midfielder can't have a huge impact or that Jude isn't a great midfielder. Bellingham is, and if you allow him to drive forward with the ball so he can create in the final third, he'll make a huge impact.

All I'm saying is there are other great young midfielders around, like Kone & Gravenberch, that would/would've cost a less insane amount. And I feel like you would need more than just Jude even if you do land him.
I mean Nkunku may have been available this summer if they would have paid RBL what they paid Benfica; and LFC do have a good relationship with RBL but either way there is smoke here. Too much lines up. At the minimum it shows there is a ton of turmoil going in back there

I will defer to the Utd fans on here to tell you about Casemiro but he has certainly been PL Team of the Season caliber at the minimum. He’s been outstanding for them.

And yeah I agree with everything that you are saying about the rest. You are preaching to the choir.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean Nkunku may have been available this summer if they would have paid RBL what they paid Benfica; and LFC do have a good relationship with RBL but either way there is smoke here. Too much lines up.

I will defer to the Utd fans on here to tell you about Casemiro but he has certainly been PL Team of the Season caliber at the minimum. He’s been outstanding for them.

And yeah I agree with everything that you are saying about the rest. You are preaching to the choir.

Maybe. Even with the covid losses Leipzig's books were very strong and they were desperate to hold onto Nkunku for another year, regardless of the money. So I'm not sure, but maybe if you offered them what you're reportedly going to pay for Jude.

I wasn't trying to doubt that Case has been amazing for them, just saying that even with him being amazing, they are still thirsty for another high-priced midfielder. Which was my point, even if you get Jude...you'd still need someone like Thuram to replace Fabinho.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Maybe. Even with the covid losses Leipzig's books were very strong and they were desperate to hold onto Nkunku for another year, regardless of the money. So I'm not sure, but maybe if you offered them what you're reportedly going to pay for Jude.

I wasn't trying to doubt that Case has been amazing for them, just saying that even with him being amazing, they are still thirsty for another high-priced midfielder. Which was my point, even if you get Jude...you'd still need someone like Thuram to replace Fabinho.
I agree. You are preaching to the choir.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad