Transfer: Winter mercato window rumors

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Watzke kicked Tuchel out to appease Mislintat...only to lose Mislintat; not long after losing Dembele. Who wanted out because Barca came for him, and also because he was pissed that he no longer had the option of studying under Tuchel for another season before making his big move...which in hindsight was probably what Watzke wanted; as he’s now much more concerned with selling well than keeping his teams together for as long as he can, like he did when he convinced Reus to stay and forced Lewa to play out his contract before leaving for Bavaria.

Even with all of the players that they sold their biggest loss has been Tuchel. He took the team that Klopp lost and lead them to BVB’s best season since the turn of the century. And after losing almost the entire core of that team that played so spectacularly in his first season, he rebuilt them into a top side despite having to rely on countless children that were not ready for what was needed out of them to reach the level that the Hummels / Gundogan / Mkhitaryan core had them at. And Tuchel being gone in favor of the likes of Bosz & Stoger lies entirely at Watzke’s feet...as does the absence of a single competent RB on the roster, Burki’s continued presence in goal, and the dreadful deeper midfield depth that they have...a problem that is getting exacerbated with Weigl’s struggles this year and Dahoud’s poor conditioning/form.

Watzke, Zorc & Mislintat did heroic work to save them from bankruptcy, but Watzke has spent the past 2 years destroying what he helped build.

PS it’s always cute when people pretend that Dortmund isn’t rich...so impressive how they convinced Reus, Mhk, Ilkay, Mo, Weigl, Lewa, Auba, Michy, etc. to move to the Ruhr out of the kindness of their hearts... Sure they can’t spend like the oil money clubs or the big 3, but they can still outspend 99% of the other teams in this sport.
I never considered Dortmund poor, but when you have Melnyk type of owner, bad things will always happen including Watzke being a cheapass. That's why I never considered losing Lew on a free was good when you lot did, especially when you have cheap owners such as Arsenal do with Kroenke. With these type of owners you want to maximize your profits as much as possible since they won't ever spend extra money. Thankfully for Arsenal, we were able to replace Sanchez with an above-average player, but with his own demons. BVB now has all the money in the world from the Dembele deal so they can absolutely get back to where they were five years ago, but that won't stop Bayern from poaching players though. They're still the main feeder club for Munich and that won't change. And even though they spent 100 million pounds last summer, a lot good shrewd deals like Goretzka on a free, Tolisso for 40 million, Sule for 18, Wanger for 12, and James on a loan. Worst one was Coman for 20 million, but he's having a pretty damn good season as well. This doesn't make any difference though, Bayern is still grabbing majority of the best players from BuLi teams. This time they went after Hoffenheim and Schalke instead of BVB. Next season it could very well be Leverkusen and BVB.

I don't agree with everything, but good stuff though.

Yes L1 is a tough place to score in. Heck, they scored much more goals than PSG.
If you think there's space in L1, then you don't watch it. 10 players behind the ball all the time.
And since Monaco lit up City's defense, I'd say they had an easy time with EPL defenses.
Good for Monaco, but this City team is completely different to the ones in the past. This team is probably better than Kompany's squad when he was in his prime.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Good for Monaco, but this City team is completely different to the ones in the past. This team is probably better than Kompany's squad when he was in his prime.
Who cares?
You said last year's Monaco would have struggled with Arsenal to qualify for Europa League. Nobody talked about this year's city.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Speculation that Napoli want Torreira and that Diawara might be going out because of it. Spurs are very interested.

I've only seen Torreira play once (Juventus match in the fall) and he bossed that game. His defensive work rate and passing ability are class. Napoli would be lucky to have him.

On the other hand I've watched Diawara play a few times and I'm not as impressed. He's clearly talented but Napoli are just so much better with Jorginho in that position that it leaves me wanting more from Diawara whenever I see him play.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I've only seen Torreira play once (Juventus match in the fall) and he bossed that game. His defensive work rate and passing ability are class. Napoli would be lucky to have him.

On the other hand I've watched Diawara play a few times and I'm not as impressed. He's clearly talented but Napoli are just so much better with Jorginho in that position that it leaves me wanting more from Diawara whenever I see him play.

Torreira is an absolute beast, and has a rather cheap release clause IIRC. Would expect larger clubs to be interested too.

If Pep wants, he'll get him Lol

I thought they were getting Fred?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Torreira is an absolute beast, and has a rather cheap release clause IIRC. Would expect larger clubs to be interested too.

I thought they were getting Fred?
They can get both I think. Yaya's contract is running out and Gundogan is a walking band-aid.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Don't think City scouts will be overly impressed with Weigl lately. And it wouldn't be Yaya's or Gündogan's spot that Weigl would come for.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Could be their most dangerous player at the world cup if he plays. Kane would be a bit easier to isolate without a strong midfield but Bailey would give them a different dimension from out wide. How'd they manage to get this one? Why did he never play for their youth set up?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Could England be a gold-candidate?

Kane - Vardy
Sterling - Alli - Dier - Bailey
Rose - Stones - Cahill - Walker
Hart

Thats a very strong team.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Could England be a gold-candidate?

Kane - Vardy
Sterling - Alli - Dier - Bailey
Rose - Stones - Cahill - Walker
Hart

Thats a very strong team.
I still don't see a player that'll control the pace of the game. They'd get destroyed in mid by Spain or Germany or any other group with a competent b2b guy.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy and cgf

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Hart? Cahill? Alli? I doubt it. Even Vardy is likely not starting.

Sterling - Kane - Bailey
Winks - Hendo
Dier
Rose - ???? - Stones - Walker
???​

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He would be the 2nd or 3rd best player, easily.

England aren't that bad

If Pep wants, he'll get him Lol

With Weigl having some struggles for once in his Dortmund career, I bet Watzke can't wait to sell him before Julian bounces back and reverts to being too important to sell without being forced to do so at gunpoint.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Lamine Sane to Orlando. Read that he's been one of the best BL defenders of the first half, so I'm confused by the whole thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad