Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Discontent IV: Live Free or Be Discontented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Maybe they expect Vlad Jr. to be the starting 3b for the 2019 season and don't want to commit the money to Donaldson because of that

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
5yrs x $22m aav, but frontloaded with an opt out after 2yrs.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Maybe they expect Vlad Jr. to be the starting 3b for the 2019 season and don't want to commit the money to Donaldson because of that
You dont let a former MVP who is still an elite player just walk for a still unproven 19 year old prospect.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why would the Jays lock up Donaldson now?
He’s a damn good asset to have at the trading deadline, if needed.

Reactions: phillipmike

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I though they said he had the surgery in the offseason and that's what he's recovering from...

Really? I thought he had surgery on his ankle at the end of the season and it healed but he was experiencing discomfort and discovered that he had bone spurs in that same ankle as result of the surgery. I took it as that... but if he had the surgery to have the spurs removed then its news to me.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
looks like after handing out massive contracts to 30+ players last few years, and many of them not working out well so far, teams have lowered their offers

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Martinez the masher to the Bosox?

Will be an interesting battle for the top AL East spot. The Sox have a mean line up 1 - 9, but their pitching will likely be a weakness once again. Yanks have a solid rotation/bullpen and of course the best 2 - 4 in baseball, but will lack line up depth. Jays have the potential to be in the race if every single thing goes right for them.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Why would the Jays lock up Donaldson now?
He’s a damn good asset to have at the trading deadline, if needed.

Toronto would have gotten more for Donaldson this past winter than what they'd get at the trade deadline. Let's be honest - Shapiro and Atkins have no interest in re-signing Donaldson. They can say all they want about how they want Donaldson to remain a Blue Jay, but they know the going cost and they aren't going to pay that. They either want the blue chip prospects they'll get in a trade or the draft pick compensation that they'll get for letting Donaldson walk.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Am I the only one who thinks it makes the Granderson signing look even worse? Only a $900k difference in salary.

How can something that was never bad to begin with look worse?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I was all for trading him this off season and I understand why they didn’t. They are in a precarious situation trying to bridge the gap while Rogers’ wants to sell tickets.

Toronto would have gotten more for Donaldson this past winter than what they'd get at the trade deadline. Let's be honest - Shapiro and Atkins have no interest in re-signing Donaldson. They can say all they want about how they want Donaldson to remain a Blue Jay, but they know the going cost and they aren't going to pay that. They either want the blue chip prospects they'll get in a trade or the draft pick compensation that they'll get for letting Donaldson walk.

Reactions: trellaine201

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Will be an interesting battle for the top AL East spot. The Sox have a mean line up 1 - 9, but their pitching will likely be a weakness once again. Yanks have a solid rotation/bullpen and of course the best 2 - 4 in baseball, but will lack line up depth. Jays have the potential to be in the race if every single thing goes right for them.

I don’t wish for injuries but the Red and Yankees sure could use a few.....to the right guys.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I was all for trading him this off season and I understand why they didn’t. They are in a precarious situation trying to bridge the gap while Rogers’ wants to sell tickets.

Definitely a sobering offseason in terms of accepting (re-accepting?) the ownership meddling.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Jays avoided a horrible deal there. Don't think many teams are interested in him this year at all.

I have a feeling Bautista has a few 1 year / 2-3M deals in hand, but his ego is getting in the way. I could see him holding out until mid season in the hopes of getting a respectable deal once a team gets desparate.

Reactions: canucksfan

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This team is going to be horrible. Not Rays or O's horrible but middle of the pack horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad