Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Discontent IV: Live Free or Be Discontented

Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
we got grichuk, diaz and solarte for relatively cheap. pretty good off season so far

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
we got grichuk, diaz and solarte for relatively cheap. pretty good off season so far

Still have some more needs though. Backup catcher, 5SP, a bullpen guy or two and maybe some more minors depth.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
yah hopefully we can address some of those needs when jd (hopefully) gets traded

I personally think you can use guys like Carrera and Loup (depending upon whether they want another LHP to upgrade him as the primary LHP, or another one to upgrade Mayza/Dermody as the secondary LHP) to find a backup catcher and maybe can dump Morales and prospects to get an overpriced 5SP if the FA market does not turn out. There are enough cheap and solid bullpen pieces you can get through FA still.

You do not even need to trade JD if you do not want, but if the Jays do, I can see maybe replacing him with a FA as well (Moustakas or Frazier are still out there for example).

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Still have some more needs though. Backup catcher, 5SP, a bullpen guy or two and maybe some more minors depth.
I would be perfectly fine with bringing in a Tillman or Vargas type on a cheap contract to be the fifth starter, Ross and/or Clippard for the bullpen, and someone like AJ Ellis for the backup catcher role. All of those players would not command much salary wise and can easily be dumped mid season if they are underperforming and one of the internal options is performing (Borucki, Ramirez, Mayza, etc).

That would give them a pitching staff of

Stroman-Sanchez-Happ-Estrada-Vargas/Tillman

Osuna-Barnes-Tepera-Biagini-Loup-Clippard-Ross

But given how cheap the bullpen arms and Ellis would come, they would likely still have the budget to bring in Garcia to be the fifth starter if they wished to do so.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I would be perfectly fine with bringing in a Tillman or Vargas type on a cheap contract to be the fifth starter, Ross and/or Clippard for the bullpen, and someone like AJ Ellis for the backup catcher role. All of those players would not command much salary wise and can easily be dumped mid season if they are underperforming and one of the internal options is performing (Borucki, Ramirez, Mayza, etc).

That would give them a pitching staff of

Stroman-Sanchez-Happ-Estrada-Vargas/Tillman

Osuna-Barnes-Tepera-Biagini-Loup-Clippard-Ross

But given how cheap the bullpen arms and Ellis would come, they would likely still have the budget to bring in Garcia to be the fifth starter if they wished to do so.

I prefer Jaime Garcia to Jason Vargas (less FB, better underlying skill when healthy), but agree in general. Biagini should be the team's primary 8th inning guy. I'm also hopeful Ramirez\Mayza can figure it out and put together a Barnes-like season.

Reactions: The Nemesis

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I prefer Jaime Garcia to Jason Vargas (less FB, better underlying skill when healthy), but agree in general. Biagini should be the team's primary 8th inning guy. I'm also hopeful Ramirez\Mayza can figure it out and put together a Barnes-like season.

If you were running for mayor I'd vote for you.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
1rlrp2.jpg

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Seems a bit low.

Seems very low in my opinion. I expected 10-12th at worst.

Two of the best prospects in baseball... one potentially generational. 2 more potential solid high ceiling prospects in Alford and Pearson. Warmoth, Jansen and Zeuch potential top 100 guys.

Decent remaining in the top 20... and added the best pitcher and best hitter from the 2017 IFA market according to MLB.com.

Should be higher and a lot to look forward to.

Likely have a deal done to add the #1 player from the 2018 IFA class with a high 1st.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I thought it was odd that he ranks Jays prospects at #2, 17, 44, and 100 and still thinks the system is only 17th best, but then someone mentioned Law always seems to value a high floor over a high ceiling. In that way, I guess it does make sense since he's probably more interested in systems with a ton of decent prospects instead of a few great ones (which is stupid, of course, but it explains how he arrived at 17th).

I still think Jansen is being horribly underrated.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The Morales stuff never made the slightest bit of sense unless there were way more pieces involved. It was funny to see some people get all panicky about it, though.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I thought it was odd that he ranks Jays prospects at #2, 17, 44, and 100 and still thinks the system is only 17th best, but then someone mentioned Law always seems to value a high floor over a high ceiling. In that way, I guess it does make sense since he's probably more interested in systems with a ton of decent prospects instead of a few great ones (which is stupid, of course, but it explains how he arrived at 17th).

I still think Jansen is being horribly underrated.

Borucki as well. Both should be borderline top-100 guys. He’s low on the system, which should not surprise anyone.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
What would it take to get Straily from the Marlins, if they are continuing to sell anyone valuable off of the roster?

And he is a fit for the team as a 5SP of course.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Seems very low in my opinion. I expected 10-12th at worst.

Two of the best prospects in baseball... one potentially generational. 2 more potential solid high ceiling prospects in Alford and Pearson. Warmoth, Jansen and Zeuch potential top 100 guys.

Decent remaining in the top 20... and added the best pitcher and best hitter from the 2017 IFA market according to MLB.com.

Should be higher and a lot to look forward to.

Likely have a deal done to add the #1 player from the 2018 IFA class with a high 1st.

Some of the pitching performances were due to injury as well (Zeuch and Maese).

I didn't know this

"The Blue Jays are the favorites to sign 15-year-old Dominican shortstop Orelvis Martinez."

2018-19 International Prospects Rumors - MLB Trade Rumors

When does the signings start?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Those 3 guys had a combined 1.6 WAR last year.

This team wasn't good enough last year and they've so far acquired no-one of substance and basically all the same holes still remain. Still no production from DH and no production or defense from the corner OF positions. Still a mixed-up mess in middle infield. Still no quality backup catcher. 2 starters on the roster who had over a 100 OPS+ last year. No upgrades to the pitching staff so far.

If Sanchez can come back and stay healthy, and if Smoak duplicates last year's performance, maybe this team can creep up to the .500 mark.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Those 3 guys had a combined 1.6 WAR last year.

This team wasn't good enough last year and they've so far acquired no-one of substance and basically all the same holes still remain. Still no production from DH and no production or defense from the corner OF positions. Still a mixed-up mess in middle infield. Still no quality backup catcher. 2 starters on the roster who had over a 100 OPS+ last year. No upgrades to the pitching staff so far.

If Sanchez can come back and stay healthy, and if Smoak duplicates last year's performance, maybe this team can creep up to the .500 mark.

I have a combined 2.7 WAR for those three players from Fangraphs. Granderson, Grichuk are upgrades in the outfield. They also have Hernandez and Alford in AAA. The defense in the outfield will be very good except when Pearce is playing.

The middle infield Solarte and Diaz are upgrades over Goins and Barney.

I would like to see another reliever and #5 starter added. Backup catchers are difficult to get at times. They also have Jansen and McGuire in AAA which they could play around the middle of the season.

I see this team finishing slightly above .500. They have improved some aspects but some of the players are getting old and will get banged up. If this team remains very healthy they will compete for a playoff spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->