Pre-Game Talk: Winter Classic: NY Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres - January 1, 2018 @ Citi Field - 1pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
That makes no sense, why should they get first dibs on the best seats and prices?

What I was told, each team has an allotment of tickets. The let the Sabres go first as whatever they do not take is being added to the Rangers allotment. Plus, the NHL handles all the ticket sales and prices. So, they can let whoever they want go first.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I'm fairly certain there is a decently sized Sabres fanbase on Long Island/Queens/Brooklyn. So there will be a good showing by them for the game.

Why would you think that? I am sure there are some kids from upstate who attend Stony Brook, New Paltz, Hofstra, Adelphi. But, why would there me a "decently sized" fanbase for the Sabres on LI, Queens, and Brooklyn?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Why would you think that? I am sure there are some kids from upstate who attend Stony Brook, New Paltz, Hofstra, Adelphi. But, why would there me a "decently sized" fanbase for the Sabres on LI, Queens, and Brooklyn?

Because a bunch of my friends who have lived on LI for a while have experienced this and have told me before.

Yes, I know, anecdotal evidence.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I lived on LI for almost 20 years, lived in Brooklyn for 2. Never knew a Sabres fan. So, maybe they all moved in since 2004? But then again, "decently sized" is relative and not a set amount of even an estimate. So, I guess it could be open to interpretation.

Last edited:

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I've lived on LI my entire life, and I've met a good chunk of Sabres fans. If that's indicative of the larger population, there's a decent amount of them in the area.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

90% of Sabres fans are from Western NY in my experience, so any coming down will be from there.

Either that or they're displaced fans in college downstate. I knew my share of Islanders fans at SUNY Brockport/Oswego simply because so many people were from LI.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
There are always tons of bills fans when the jets play them in NJ. If the giants have a home game against the bills the following season (and they don't suck) there will be even more bills fans there. I assume bills fans are also sabre fans and if they come to football games here they will also come to the WC wherever they live.

NYRangers88

Section 208 Row 15
Aug 7, 2007
Long Island, NY
There are always tons of bills fans when the jets play them in NJ. If the giants have a home game against the bills the following season (and they don't suck) there will be even more bills fans there. I assume bills fans are also sabre fans and if they come to football games here they will also come to the WC wherever they live.

To be fair, there a ton of Miami dolphin fans at jet games too. But that doesn't mean Panther fans would come to a hockey game here. I think that's comparing apples and oranges.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
To be fair, there a ton of Miami dolphin fans at jet games too. But that doesn't mean Panther fans would come to a hockey game here. I think that's comparing apples and oranges.

I think you are the one considering apples and oranges--Buffalo is completely different from Miami--about 60F different in January! Don't underestimate Sabre fans--while I'm sure there's a lot of overlap with the Bills, Sabre fans are plenty passionate about their team all on their own.

Time, distance and weather will not stop them from coming down to root the Sabres on.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Buffalo fans will travel to the game for the warmer weather. :D

There will be more Sabes fans than the Devils or Isles could muster in their Stadium Series games.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
The ticket prices are beyond insane for this! I'll watch from my warm comfy couch instead of paying $400 to freeze and not be able to see the puck.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I'm fairly certain there is a decently sized Sabres fanbase on Long Island/Queens/Brooklyn. So there will be a good showing by them for the game.

You are correct, and the same for WNY and Rangers fans. The cities and areas seem to trade people a lot which is fascinating. There will be a healthy amount there which is fine. Transportation prices from here aren't even that bad either unless you take a plane which is overpriced. Amtrak is like 60 bucks and a car ride is 1.5 tanks of gas, or less if you have a new car.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
The ticket prices are beyond insane for this! I'll watch from my warm comfy couch instead of paying $400 to freeze and not be able to see the puck.

You'll be able to see the puck from the $400 seats. You won't see anything from the $100 seats. Doesn't matter - they'll all be sold. I'm trying not to relent to my friends who want to go. I also don't want to spend money to freeze to watch a relatively meaningless regular season game.

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
The Rangers instagram posted a picture of McDonagh and Nash at Citi Field 5 minutes ago. Maybe we'll get to see the jerseys.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The Rangers instagram posted a picture of McDonagh and Nash at Citi Field 5 minutes ago. Maybe we'll get to see the jerseys.

I'd doubt it, but it would be really nice.

I think it's just going to be a regular boring presser.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
It may be nothing, but I find it odd that McD and Nash are there, but not Staal. I would think the whole leadership group would be there for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad