Pre-Game Talk: Winter Classic: NY Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres - January 1, 2018 @ Citi Field - 1pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I'll take any good news I can get right now. But this is really awesome, I'll definitely expect to be there :)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Looking forward to when tickets come out. I'm in Bayside, so this is pretty close! :D

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
>game at Citi Field
>away game for NYR

So this is the actual Winter Classic and not one of the 25 knock-off games they've tried to make a thing? Cool stuff, would love to go to one of these.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
giphy.gif

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I don't think you can say it's been confirmed that the sabres are the hosts. It's certainly likely with the tax rules imposed on MSG but that's about it.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I'm not sure that the NHL wants the optics associated with a Buffalo home game in NYC.

they gave the Devils one

NYR simply cannot play a home game away from MSG,
or their outdated tax break deal will be violated
and NYC has no incentive NOT to cancel it at first opportunity

anyway they'll both wear special jerseys,
aside from sequence of faceoff lineups there's not much impact

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I'm even more sure MSG is not going to lose tens of millions of dollars just for one game.

The exemption does not specifically say that the rangers cannot play any home games outside MSG, just that they not cease playing in MSG but that's how it's been interpreted (remember this was when msg threatened to move the knicks and rangers outside nyc). I just wouldn't be surprised if the NHL MSG and the city reach an agreement (probably in exchange for some $$$) to allow the rangers a one time exception to avoid having the NHL looking completely ridiculous.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The exemption does not specifically say that the rangers cannot play any home games outside MSG, just that they not cease playing in MSG but that's how it's been interpreted (remember this was when msg threatened to move the knicks and rangers outside nyc). I just wouldn't be surprised if the NHL MSG and the city reach an agreement (probably in exchange for some $$$) to allow the rangers a one time exception to avoid having the NHL looking completely ridiculous.

this is completely wrong. they can't play any home games outside of msg. thats why we were the road team in both games at yankee stadium and will be the road team in this game

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
this is completely wrong. they can't play any home games outside of msg. thats why we were the road team in both games at yankee stadium and will be the road team in this game

They were the road team against 2 local teams so not much of a stretch. Like I said, I think something could have been worked out though I just called MSG and was told it was not a home game for the Rangers. I just think it will look really weird for the 10th anniversary WC with the Sabres as the host team in NYC.

Anyway, I really don't get the matchup. Rangers haven't even been in the same division as the sabres since it was called the East division in 1974. Bettman calling it an interstate rivalry is really a stretch.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Taking the wife and kid from Houston for a week up there. We'll be catching the game at Citi for sure.

Was hoping to do the same thing (except for the 'from Houston part) except that the wife immediately said 'no' because apparently NYC in the middle of winter will be no fun for her and the kids. Killjoy... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->