Pre-Game Talk: Winter Classic: NY Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres - January 1, 2018 @ Citi Field - 1pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I'm not sure that the NHL wants the optics associated with a Buffalo home game in NYC.

... I just wouldn't be surprised if the NHL MSG and the city reach an agreement ... to allow the rangers a one time exception to avoid having the NHL looking completely ridiculous.

i read this again every month, trying to conceive why the NHL could care?
what are the bad optics?
what is "completely ridiculous"?

the 'home team' here is a semantic point that no else seems to care much about, that has no value to it

MSG gets the double dip of revenue for this game and its full 41/44 game in-house home schedule
similarly for NYC, its completely new added revenue event

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
i read this again every month, trying to conceive why the NHL could care?
what are the bad optics?
what is "completely ridiculous"?

the 'home team' here is a semantic point that no else seems to care much about, that has no value to it

MSG gets the double dip of revenue for this game and its full 41/44 game in-house home schedule
similarly for NYC, its completely new added revenue event
There are no "bad optics". It is just another excuse for people to complain. The Sabres are paid as if the game was a sell out and they do not have to pay their part-time employees. It really does not matter who is the "home" team in a game like this. The last change is not a big deal and having more fans behind you won't matter either.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
So I tried to do the math on this in an extreme worst case scenario, and the best I could come up with is 12 million dollars in lost revenue for not showing the game at MSG, and that included no spectators.

Where do you take 'tens of millions' from?

He's talking about the taxes they would have to pay in perpetuity if they lost the exemption.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
There are no "bad optics". It is just another excuse for people to complain. The Sabres are paid as if the game was a sell out and they do not have to pay their part-time employees. It really does not matter who is the "home" team in a game like this. The last change is not a big deal and having more fans behind you won't matter either.
Maybe it's just me but the commute for us from Buffalo and having to stay in hotels vs the Rangers getting to drive like a half hour from their homes to get to the game seems like a disadvantage for us.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Maybe it's just me but the commute for us from Buffalo and having to stay in hotels vs the Rangers getting to drive like a half hour from their homes to get to the game seems like a disadvantage for us.

Nobody is requiring you to go and secondly, VERY few people will have a half-hour commute to the game. It might take you a half-hour just to get off the exit of the highway and into a parking spot. Secondly, the advantage/disadvantage doesn't really apply to the fans. Secondly, look at the Rangers road record/home record from last year. Tell me who has the advantage.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Nobody is requiring you to go and secondly, VERY few people will have a half-hour commute to the game. It might take you a half-hour just to get off the exit of the highway and into a parking spot. Secondly, the advantage/disadvantage doesn't really apply to the fans. Secondly, look at the Rangers road record/home record from last year. Tell me who has the advantage.
I was talking about the players themselves, not the fans. That's the advantage.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I was talking about the players themselves, not the fans. That's the advantage.

Is it really an that huge of an advantage if the Sabres are pretty much already in the area because they're playing the Islanders/Devils the week before and are likely staying around through NYE?

Sure, they'll be staying in a hotel the entire time, but it's not like they're traveling down to the area for just one game. And I highly doubt they'd be changing hotels, considering how close the three teams are.

At that point, they'll be traveling to Citi Field as much as the Rangers will be.

I don't know. Just spitballin' here.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Is it really an that huge of an advantage if the Sabres are pretty much already in the area because they're playing the Islanders/Devils the week before and are likely staying around through NYE?

Sure, they'll be staying in a hotel the entire time, but it's not like they're traveling down to the area for just one game. And I highly doubt they'd be changing hotels, considering how close the three teams are.

At that point, they'll be traveling to Citi Field as much as the Rangers will be.

I don't know. Just spitballin' here.
That's a fair point that I wasn't aware of. It would mitigate things but being on the road like that is still not as advantageous as being at home. There is a reason we are in the game and not the Pens, Caps, Bruins, Habs ect. : they never would've agreed to give up a home game under any circumstance. The whole thing just feeds into the Buffalo inferiority complex that I can't stand.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
That's a fair point that I wasn't aware of. It would mitigate things but being on the road like that is still not as advantageous as being at home. There is a reason we are in the game and not the Pens, Caps, Bruins, Habs ect. : they never would've agreed to give up a home game under any circumstance. The whole thing just feeds into the Buffalo inferiority complex that I can't stand.

Hey man! Agree. Not huge but yeah being on the road for a while sometimes wears people a little thin as opposed to being home and surrounded by familiar stimuli.

I think even though you mentioned players spedificallly Buffalo fans will get there. The drive is pretty easy on the 90 or 390/86/17 through PA or by train/flying. I think it'll be a fun time. Sabres looked good before everyone got injured right out of the gate last year and some guys who looked good in dev camp here a couple weeks ago are probably going to push for spots. Could be a tight game with fast pacing for either team and imo think advantages could be washed out by it

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013

Yeah but you get the Anchor Bar whenever you want. Or Beef on a Weck.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
I just remember it was ****ing freezing at the Devils game. I sold my tickets vs the Islanders because it was as cold and at night.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I would die if we got Lady Liberty jerseys for the WC

Lady Liberty vs Buffalo Head throwbacks.

PLEASE NHL, I BEG OF YOU. DO THIS.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Excited for the pre-game tailgate.

The Devils game at the Stadium was nuts. One of my favorite games. Absolutely freezing, thought I was gonna lose my foot. Was able to prepare better for the Islanders game, ie was able to drink enough prior to stay warm.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Excited for the pre-game tailgate.

The Devils game at the Stadium was nuts. One of my favorite games. Absolutely freezing, thought I was gonna lose my foot. Was able to prepare better for the Islanders game, ie was able to drink enough prior to stay warm.

Also boges.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I just remember it was ****ing freezing at the Devils game. I sold my tickets vs the Islanders because it was as cold and at night.

I was at that one as well. I had 5 layers on up top and 3 on the bottom including my heaviest pair of sweats and thermals.

Great game though.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
After consideration, I think I might skip on this one and watch it on TV. Save the money to go see the Rangers at MSG.

After all, I haven't even done that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille