Winnipeg Jets Training Camp

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The guys they brought in can score though like vilardi or nino. No one will be displeased over that.
I agree - probably shouldn't have mentioned that some might not be on side with this direction -
The post was more about the fact that the guys they are picking up have size (with skill) and whether or not that was the intention.
I think it was.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I just went back and listened to Bones interview from today and he didn't come out and say Villie's position on the team depended on tonight. When asked if he made the final roster he said we will find out tonight, then he went onto gush about Villie's play so far in the preseason. It sounded like a pat answer he would have if was asked about anyone that didn't have a guaranteed job coming into camp.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Or that is what a coach has to say. They will say that the position is open until the final cuts. He is basically telling Villie the job is there for you, go and grab it.

Then it wouldn't have hinged on a single play.

True - but if he had any chance, that play killed it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes, I agree -
Didn't want anyone to assume I meant heavier with poor hockey skills.
They would want skill to go with the size - but it could be that they want the size as part of the equation.

I agree - probably shouldn't have mentioned that some might not be on side with this direction -
The post was more about the fact that the guys they are picking up have size (with skill) and whether or not that was the intention.
I think it was.

I agree that it is by design. The org going back to its first year has prioritized size though so indont think anything changed there. They will always take it when they can.

I think they have just moved past the idea of a clear top 6 and a clear bottom 6 system and are now following more of a Vegas Golden Knights model where they will try to win via depth more so then high end skill.

I just went back and listened to Bones interview from today and he didn't come out and say Villie's position on the team depended on tonight. When asked if he made the final roster he said we will find out tonight, then he went onto gush about Villie's play so far in the preseason. It sounded like a pat answer he would have if was asked about anyone that didn't have a guaranteed job coming into camp.

So, do you think he has won a job based on his answers?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree that it is by design. The org going back to its first year has prioritized size though so indont think anything changed there. They will always take it when they can.

I think they have just moved past the idea of a clear top 6 and a clear bottom 6 system and are now following more of a Vegas Golden Knights model where they will try to win via depth more so then high end skill.

So, do you think he has won a job based on his answers?
He really did gush about him. Came to camp bigger and stronger. He is skating the puck out like they want. Moving the puck quicker. Defense is much improved. Yeah, I would say he will be on the opening night roster.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He really did gush about him. Came to camp bigger and stronger. He is skating the puck out like they want. Moving the puck quicker. Defense is much improved. Yeah, I would say he will be on the opening night roster.

Good to hear. Sounds like a coach who is happy that their direction was followed.

We need Ville to hit. If he does I think we have our future second pairing in him and Snerg.

If Salmonsson also hits that sets us up pretty well at defense.

Ville has done enough already to have earned a spot. 1 pre-season game should not make the decision. Just like that 1 bad play by Harkins shouldn't have gotten him waived.

Had hoped they would keep Salomonsson here. I think AHL is a shorter route to the NHL than continuing to play in Europe.

My guess is they left it up to Salomonsson.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Good to hear. Sounds like a coach who is happy that their direction was followed.

We need Ville to hit. If he does I think we have our future second pairing in him and Snerg.

If Salmonsson also hits that sets us up pretty well at defense.

My guess is they left it up to Salomonsson.

Probably. Doesn't change my thinking. Euro leagues do not play NA hockey and they are not development leagues. I prefer to see prospects develop in AHL.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think highly likely heinola Is playing game 1 if Schmidt is still hurt. Bowness was big on pp or pk duties. Schmidt pp so makes sense heinola is in.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

- Also praised his ability to skate the puck out with control and do things with it
- Likes the combo with Samberg, thinks they offer complementary skillsets
- Very happy with how he's performed, liked his attitude over the summer and when he came to camp, has done everything asked of him
- Looking for mobility and ability to make plays on and off the puck, has produced there
- Competing hard in the corners, winning puck battles
- Overall more comfortable, less tentative

Good early report card, hopefully keeps it up over the rest of the terms

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Probably. Doesn't change my thinking. Euro leagues do not play NA hockey and they are not development leagues. I prefer to see prospects develop in AHL.
The vast majority of Europeans prefer to play in Europe, close to home, for more money and for teams that allow for easier participation in international play. ELC minor league pay just does not entice players from overseas. Likely especially true for a kid that just turned 19 a couple months ago.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He played top 4 in Skelleftea last season. I was hoping he'd stay here just because he likely won't get much power play time in the SHL with Sandin-Pellikka crushing it, but overall it's a better league and if he's playing top 4 minutes I don't think it's an issue.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Based on Bones interviews the past day or two

Connor - Scheifele - Vilardi
Ehlers - Perfetti - Niederrieter
Iafallo - Lowry - Appleton
Barron - Kupari - Namestnikov
Gustafsson

Morrissey - Demelo
Samberg - Pionk
Dillon - Heinola
Stanley - Chisholm
Schmidt (IR)

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

Is my feeling for what the opening day roster will be. Once Schmidt is back it's a toss-up if they waive Stanley or Chisholm to make room

Reactions: DRW204

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The vast majority of Europeans prefer to play in Europe, close to home, for more money and for teams that allow for easier participation in international play. ELC minor league pay just does not entice players from overseas. Likely especially true for a kid that just turned 19 a couple months ago.

Of course. But that has nothing to do with where and how they can best be developed for the NHL.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He played top 4 in Skelleftea last season. I was hoping he'd stay here just because he likely won't get much power play time in the SHL with Sandin-Pellikka crushing it, but overall it's a better league and if he's playing top 4 minutes I don't think it's an issue.

I'm not saying going back to Europe is a bad thing. But I believe the AHL would be better. Obviously, Jets don't think it is a big issue either or they would have kept him here.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not saying going back to Europe is a bad thing. But I believe the AHL would be better. Obviously, Jets don't think it is a big issue either or they would have kept him here.
The kid has been developing well and IMO at his age having him feeling comfortable and settled at home is important. He is playing a high level of hockey that will push is game forward. He will be a shoe in for the World junior championship. We likely see him back late in the AHL season due the timing differences in league seasons.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The kid has been developing well and IMO at his age having him feeling comfortable and settled at home is important. He is playing a high level of hockey that will push is game forward. He will be a shoe in for the World junior championship. We likely see him back late in the AHL season due the timing differences in league seasons.

OK, sure. Nothing there to change my mind. No matter how good that may be I think Moose would be better.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com

The Jets hit the ice for the last time this weekend before they have a few days off. Following skate we heard from Jets head coach Rick Bowness who gave an update on Ville Heinola and touched on a number of other topics including:

1) Ville Heinola update.
2) Is there a more definite timeline cause it's a fracture? :)28)
3) What does he say to Ville? :)59)
4) Is surgery a possibility? :)1:31)
5) Does he see Nate Schmidt paired up with Dillon? (1:56)
6) Was it always in the plan that Nikolaj Ehlers wasn't going to skate today? (2:41)
7) Need for additional roster moves? (3:21)
8) Did Parker Ford raise his stock this camp? (4:02)
9) Does he feel like he's got a good grasp on his team? (4:59)
10) Thoughts on the top power play unit? (5:47)

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Jets have always been tight lipped about injuries so if Ehlers is not in the lineup against the Flames it might be a while before he gets into the lineup. No preseason games plenty of time to heal a neck strain and still no time table might mean it's more severe than they are letting on.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like that that the organization allows players in his position to have input in where he plays. Helps build a relationship with the kid and the loyalty they will hope for later in his career.

Yes. And I guess that is the justification.
But I will remain disappointed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad