Winnipeg Jets Training Camp

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
“The most important thing is ‘has a veteran played so poorly that he’s played himself off the team?’ No,”

Why is that the most important thing? "Sure the kid is lighting it up, but the vets have been no worse than last year!". Yeesh.
What would you like to be said publicly? The coach is opening the door for the kid, to expect a pillaring of a vet at the same time is a little unrealistic.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Where would Heinola fit?

Morrissey, Demelo, Pionk, Schmidt, Dillon, Samberg, with Heinola as the 7th with Stanley waived/traded i
As for Heinola I have to hand it to him, he took the perceived flaws and critique in his game and has came back this year ready to knock down the door. Confident and steady on the backend to go with his offensive play bodes well for the coming years. Does he unseat a vet? maybe he should but that's not the Jets way of doing things.
If my math is correct all 82 games divided evenly among 7D comes to 70 games each. Maybe there’s hope for Heinola playing a full(ish) season for once!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If my math is correct all 82 games divided evenly among 7D comes to 70 games each. Maybe there’s hope for Heinola playing a full(ish) season for once!
Except they are not going to divide up the games equally among 7 defenseman. Heinola will need to be seen as having pushed into the top 6 or there are enough games due to needing an injury replacement where he gets inserted into the lineup, for him to get a full season in the NHL.

Reactions: surixon and DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I highly highly doubt they will implement this sort of rotation among all the defenseman

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If the Jets keep Heinola as the 7th D, and Bowness is open to using him in somewhat of a platoon role (i.e. play him for certain match-ups, etc.), then I think that along with the inevitable injuries Heinola will get plenty of playing time to justify keeping him up. The "big" question mark on D right now is what the Jets plan to do with Stanley. Keeping him on the roster at the 7D is undeserved, in my view.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If the Jets keep Heinola as the 7th D, and Bowness is open to using him in somewhat of a platoon role (i.e. play him for certain match-ups, etc.), then I think that along with the inevitable injuries Heinola will get plenty of playing time to justify keeping him up. The "big" question mark on D right now is what the Jets plan to do with Stanley. Keeping him on the roster at the 7D is undeserved, in my view.
My guess is Heinola pushes into the top 6 at some point. I also think we see a defenseman moved. Just my guess.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
IF they keep Heinola (and they should), and even if they run 13/8, they'll have to waive one of Chisholm or Stanley. If they prefer the more traditional 14/7, they'll have to waive them both

That also assumes that Capo is waived... maybe they waive all 3 at the same time and hope that there isn't a huge demand for depth LHD so they'll only lose one of them?

It'll be an interesting few days around here

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Pionk or Nate... pionk probably is perceived to get u more. Maybe pionk for a prospect and pick but I feel nate is the guy they move. Maybe sj or Anaheim

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
trades take time if thats what they decide. heinola being waiver exempt gives them some time to move someone if thats what they decide to do. he wont be kept up to sit in pb that wont help him at all.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Schmidt is our best option for a trade imo - he's a locker room guy and his metrics on 3rd pairing are pretty good... If I was a GM I wouldn't trade for Pionk

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Do you mean Stanley deserves to be in thebtop 6 or that he doesn't deserve to be on the roster in general?

I am very interested in what management is going to do here. Has Ville usurped Schmidt's position and if so I doubt Nate will be happy to sit in the PB.

You have to think Chevy has to make a move here.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Do you mean Stanley deserves to be in thebtop 6 or that he doesn't deserve to be on the roster in general?

I am very interested in what management is going to do here. Has Ville usurped Schmidt's position and if so I doubt Nate will be happy to sit in the PB.

Schmidt's been dealing with something hasn't he? Like flu or a minor injury issue.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
IF they keep Heinola (and they should), and even if they run 13/8, they'll have to waive one of Chisholm or Stanley. If they prefer the more traditional 14/7, they'll have to waive them both

That also assumes that Capo is waived... maybe they waive all 3 at the same time and hope that there isn't a huge demand for depth LHD so they'll only lose one of them?

It'll be an interesting few days around here
There is a good chance none get claimed as there is a waiver wire flood the last couple days prior to final cutdowns. There may also may be players made available the Jets are interested in which may force additional guys going on waivers if the Jets make a claim.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Agreed. I think a move is coming. Though if it is Schmidt it likely requires a sweetener from us and retained salary. Maybe Stanley gets a mid to late round pick?

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Schmidt is our best option for a trade imo - he's a locker room guy and his metrics on 3rd pairing are pretty good... If I was a GM I wouldn't trade for Pionk

Pionk is the one we SHOULD move but I agree Schmidt would be easier to move - if he is healthy.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad