Winnipeg Jets Training Camp

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Sad to see Capobianco waived. Stanley was the correct move but I dont think the Jets can admit they borked the Stanley draft pick.

It'll be interesting to see if there's outrage over losing him if he gets claimed the same way people were gutted about listing Essyimont or Kovacevic, as he's the best of the three imho

Agree. I think Capo is a far more versatile and effective player than Stan.

This makes sense from a "the Jets are committed to our Tree" standpoint. Not so much from a hockey one anymore.

Capo deserves to play more on a team that can use him. Hopefully he gets picked up somewhere and can claim a regular spot.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Agree. I think Capo is a far more versatile and effective player than Stan.

This makes sense from a "the Jets are committed to our Tree" standpoint. Not so much from a hockey one anymore.

Capo deserves to play more on a team that can use him. Hopefully he gets picked up somewhere and can claim a regular spot.
I would guess that the calculation was based on which player was more likely to be taken off waivers. Probably right, but as a straight hockey move it is hard to understand. Anyone who grabs Stan will have him on waivers again in short order imo.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It isn't about "stifling" Ehlers. It is about failing to get the value that is there. TOI and PP1 is what it is about.
Hey im down with the #freeehlers club but its not like its only Bones.... and despit reduced ice time ehlers scored at one of his highest rates under bowness... so are we absolutely sure that bowness was just not gunshy about losing ehlers for another 30 games...?

Like just before his first injury he played 21 mins... maybe wait for a few games this year before the crew adds this to the 'blame bones' show

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Hasn't Ehlers led the team in points per minute in at least the past two seasons?
1696812317341.png

Attachments

• 1696812317477.png
    1696812317477.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 2

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hey im down with the #freeehlers club but its not like its only Bones.... and despit reduced ice time ehlers scored at one of his highest rates under bowness... so are we absolutely sure that bowness was just not gunshy about losing ehlers for another 30 games...?

Like just before his first injury he played 21 mins... maybe wait for a few games this year before the crew adds this to the 'blame bones' show
yeah i think last year when he came back was a bit of injury management coming back from sports hernia surgery. i've never had it but i can imagine it would take a toll on your cardio, and especially explosiveness/power post-op.

KC played fine and had his best season away from Scheifele. id want ehlers playing with scheifele on LW to break-up the kc+scheifele top-line which i have have sparingly been a fan over the years.

i don't buy all the "team can't play with ehlers" narrative.... some of the best players in the league are similar to ehlers in high octane and rush-style offense. yet seems like teams don't have much trouble finding ways to make it work.

Hasn't Ehlers led the team in points per minute in at least the past two seasons?
at 5v5 he's usually one of the top players.

since 2020 - he also has has one of the highest points to total on-ice GF rates in the NHL with 91 pts on 117 GF (78% would rank 8th in the NHL w/ a minimum of 100 on-ice GF), and 16th when filtering it down to primary points.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241 and hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Our D game in our zone was better - and we were able to get things started from our zone as I noted.
But our N zone work was not better - it got worse when we took our foot off the gas when defending against the rush.
That's what I saw as the season progresses - and I don't know what stat you'd need to look at to argue my point - but I like to rely on what I see and that is what I saw.

And when you think about it, that explains why our dgame looked OK because we defended well behind our blueline - but we did not do the work needed to get it done in the N zone - and that's where the forwards pulled back on the effort they were showing us earlier.

Bones preached that game style all season - get on players before they can build anything off the rush.
If you watched the Sens game, they did it to a T - they smothered you in the N zone which slows your rush (or stops it in it's tracks).

Bones isn't asking these guys to play a defensive game - he's asking them to play a complete game where everyone is working with or without the puck.
We struggle with that - especially some of our top guys (Scheif / KC are the 2 most obvious who don't do much on the back check and would rather fight it out in our zone and turn it up ice).

I don't really disagree on those two. They cheat for offense. It's one of the reasons I'm a bit surprised there is talk of bringing Mark back. He doesn't actually fit the new template.

I'm on record as stating I want balanced players and that seems to be what the org is now targeting. But I still think coaching does have to help this team out more offensively with more robust ozone schemes. That and a much better pp would help.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

We'll see.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Interesting….. thanks for posting the Jersey schedule…

Is it me or does that chart list 40 home games broken down 3 /11/26 games…. But we should be playing 41 games ( home) in the 82 game season!
I count 40 as well, I guess they want to surprise everyone with the ceremonial burning of the Aviator jersey's after game party

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad