Winnipeg Jets Training Camp

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
WINNIPEG, September 18, 2023 – The Winnipeg Jets today announced the schedule and roster for their 2023 training camp, which is taking place at hockey for all centre. Jets training camp will run from Thursday, Sept. 21 to Friday, Oct. 6.

Players are available to the media at the completion of their group’s on-ice session. One of the members of the Jets coaching staff will be available to the media following every day of training camp.

VIEW TRAINING CAMP GROUPS

**VIEW TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE**

Whileee

May 29, 2010
WINNIPEG, September 18, 2023 – The Winnipeg Jets today announced the schedule and roster for their 2023 training camp, which is taking place at hockey for all centre. Jets training camp will run from Thursday, Sept. 21 to Friday, Oct. 6.

Players are available to the media at the completion of their group’s on-ice session. One of the members of the Jets coaching staff will be available to the media following every day of training camp.

VIEW TRAINING CAMP GROUPS

**VIEW TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE**
A couple of observations about those groupings.

Based on the forward and defense groupings, it looks to me like the Jets might be considering:

Team Selanne

F lines
Niederreiter-Perfetti-Ehlers
Iaffalo-Lowry-Appleton

D pairs (just a guess)
Heinola/Chisholm-DeMelo
Dillon-Schmidt

Team Numminen

Connor-Scheifele-Vilardi
Barron-Namestnikov-Kupari

D pairs
Morrissey-Salomonsson (unlikely, but maybe?)
Samberg-Pionk

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.

Based on the forward and defense groupings, it looks to me like the Jets might be considering:

Team Selanne

F lines
Iaffalo-Lowry-Appleton

D pairs (just a guess)
Heinola/Chisholm-DeMelo
Dillon-Schmidt

Team Numminen

Connor-Scheifele-Vilardi

D pairs
Samberg-Pionk
I haven’t been around much over the summer, but pleasantly surprised to see you Posting again @Whileee .

We might have different views on some things, but I appreciate your contributions as they help me to consider another perspective.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Team Selanne

F lines
Iaffalo-Lowry-Appleton

D pairs (just a guess)
Heinola/Chisholm-DeMelo
Dillon-Schmidt

Team Numminen

Connor-Scheifele-Vilardi

D pairs
Samberg-Pionk

Yeah, looks like Perfetti is going to center Ehlers and one of Nino/Iafallo to start camp. I like the combination. Only issue is it seems they are loading up the Scheifele line with all our first shot scorers.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah, looks like Perfetti is going to center Ehlers and one of Nino/Iafallo to start camp. I like the combination. Only issue is it seems they are loading up the Scheifele line with all our first shot scorers.
I really don't like Connor and Scheifele together, but Vilardi has shown strong defensive metrics, so maybe he can offset their issues.

One data observation - the Connor-Scheifele duo was better together later last season in shot metrics (xGF%), but Connor's shooting woes left them below water in goal differentials at 5v5.

But it's easy to get enthusiastic about a Nino-Perfetti-Ehlers line.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Team Selanne

F lines
Iaffalo-Lowry-Appleton

D pairs (just a guess)
Heinola/Chisholm-DeMelo
Dillon-Schmidt

Team Numminen

Connor-Scheifele-Vilardi

D pairs
Samberg-Pionk

Over reading into the groups, I come up with

Connor Scheifele Vilardi

Niederreiter Perfetti Ehlers

Iafallo Lowry Appleton

Barron Namestnikov Kupari

Morrissey DeMelo

Dillon Schmidt

Samberg Pionk

I really want to see Vilardi at C. If he is ever going to move back to C he needs to do so sooner rather than later. We need a top 6 C this year. But next year we will need another. There is time to develop Perfetti at C. Not so much for Vilardi.

I don't want to see Connor and Scheifele together. Too much D weakness on one line.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I really like these lines... especially if they platoon scheif/vilardi as 1C like they did with pld last season

I would have sheltered perfetti a bit more bit if this clicks thats a homerun

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
I really want to see Vilardi at C. If he is ever going to move back to C he needs to do so sooner rather than later. We need a top 6 C this year. But next year we will need another. There is time to develop Perfetti at C. Not so much for Vilardi.

I don't want to see Connor and Scheifele together. Too much D weakness on one line.
They’ll give Sheif the player he wants to play with. If they’re still trying to resign him. I think he’ll pick Connor if asked.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I love how this narrative has taken on a life of its own. Last season isolated together, Scheifele and Connor were a 51.51 CF% and a 50.27 xGF%. Hardly black hole numbers, considering they are the teams 2 best goal scorers (by a pretty far margin).

Not too concerned about their metrics if they have Vilardi with them. He should be a significant upgrade in the dzone over Wheeler.

My main concern is there appears to be too much overlap in terms of offensive skill. All three like to shoot first. One of them likely Scheifele will have to alter his game to being more of a playmaker imo.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I'd bet on Bowness going straight back to Nino-Lowry-Appleton to start the season as they were effective to end the year. I feel like Iafallo-Lowry-Nino would be a similar but more effective line, but it we might want to keep Vilardi and Iafallo together as they played very well together last year. Barron-Lowry-Nino would probably work well.

Hard not to get excited for the season while going through the roster and imagining possible lines. Lot more to work with than in previous years.

Barron is a player that deserves a role higher in the lineup in my opinion. It was always impressive how noticeable he was in a good way with the ice time he got and the linemates he was playing with.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd bet on Bowness going straight back to Nino-Lowry-Appleton to start the season as they were effective to end the year. I feel like Iafallo-Lowry-Nino would be a similar but more effective line, but it we might want to keep Vilardi and Iafallo together as they played very well together last year. Barron-Lowry-Nino would probably work well.

Hard not to get excited for the season while going through the roster and imagining possible lines. Lot more to work with than in previous years.

Barron is a player that deserves a role higher in the lineup in my opinion. It was always impressive how noticeable he was in a good way with the ice time he got and the linemates he was playing with.
Bowness didn't have Iaffalo for the 3rd line or Perfetti for the 2nd. I think they like the idea of Nino on the 2nd and Iaffalo on the 3rd.

Remembering that Appleton had a really strong second half driving offense, despite the Jets scoring woes.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Bowness didn't have Iaffalo for the 3rd line or Perfetti for the 2nd. I think they like the idea of Nino on the 2nd and Iaffalo on the 3rd.

Remembering that Appleton had a really strong second half driving offense, despite the Jets scoring woes.
Did he have a strong second half, or a strong final month playing with Nino? I thought he was worse than useless before Nino was put on that line and Lowry was playing his best hockey until Appleton was put on his line.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and AlaskaJet

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Did he have a strong second half, or a strong final month playing with Nino? I thought he was worse than useless before Nino was put on that line and Lowry was playing his best hockey until Appleton was put on his line.

Lowry and Appleton ran at a 63 xG% last year at 5v5 over 250 mins. Appleton was good with Nino also but they only played 75 mins together.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I remember thinking Appleton was looking more and more effective once he was back to speed after his injury. His metrics seem to back that up. He was particularly good in combination with Lowry at 5v5.

1695091261821.png
1695091295790.png
1695091366744.png

Reactions: hn777 and Atoyot

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not too concerned about their metrics if they have Vilardi with them. He should be a significant upgrade in the dzone over Wheeler.

My main concern is there appears to be too much overlap in terms of offensive skill. All three like to shoot first. One of them likely Scheifele will have to alter his game to being more of a playmaker imo.
For the most part I don’t get to caught up in line combinations as they will get mixed and matched many times over throughout the season especially as we will be working in a new 2nd line center.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

My guess is they feel it best to develop Cole at C this year while they have two centers in Lowry and Scheifele that can take the tougher matchups while he gets comfortable at C. That might not be the case next year if Mark leaves or is dealt.at some point this year.

Reactions: hn777 and JetsUK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad