Speculation: Winnipeg Jets to get 3rd Jersey next season - with a new logo

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hell yeah, green. You skate out in Riders colours, that crowd is yours. Probably sell a million of them in Saskatchewan. See that below, she's a beauty, eh? Do it, True North! :nod:

193685.jpg

Full disclosure: I am a Riders fan.
Don't people know that if something turns green it's spoiled and needs to be thrown out immediately !!!!!

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I feel like you are in the minority here.
The support and DEMAND to call the team the Jets was unquestionable.
The "team" in Phoenix is the Coyotes.
So little of the Jets 1.0 went with them and the roster was so different from the get go.

People are celebrating professional hockey in Winnipeg.
The history of a financial transaction pale in comparison to people's actual memories of NHL hockey in our city.
I for one shed a tear when Chipman said the words "Winnipeg Jets" at the 2011 Draft.

I support True North with their preference to have their own logos but will always prefer the Heritage jerseys we've seen and I echo the love for the 90's Jets jersey.

Very well said and there are many of us that hold the same view. Our history as it relates to the Heritage Classic is not that of Atlanta as we were not witness to the hockey played there. Like the previous Heritage Classic in 2016, this one will also be a celebration based on hockey played in the prairies.

I'm not surprised reading comments on the main board emphasizing that our history is that of the Thrashers and that of Jets 1.0 now belongs to Arizona. However, I am surprised when I read those same comments on our Jets board. Just because the NHL manages their records that way doesn't mean that we as Jets fans have to agree. We are the same fans that cheered on all versions of teams named the Winnipeg Jets. Our memories weren't suddenly transferred to the fans in Arizona just because the assets of the team were sold by Barry Shenkarow to Richard Burke and Steven Gluckstern in 1995 for relocation to Phoenix. It's the fans that make the team relevant not the other way around.

Ilya Kovalchuk will never mean anything to us simply because he played for the fans in Atlanta and not us. That's not meant to disparage him in any way as he was a great player but he wasn't ours. Our memories will always be of players like Hull, Hedberg, Nilsson, Hawerchuk, Selanne and now Byfuglien, Laine, etc. Those are the players that played for (or are currently playing for) us fans in Winnipeg and no league mandate can change that.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Love to see the team eventually come up with a significantly new design eventually for one of its New Jersey’s vs just putting these old 1.0 jerseys.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Very well said and there are many of us that hold the same view. Our history as it relates to the Heritage Classic is not that of Atlanta as we were not witness to the hockey played there. Like the previous Heritage Classic in 2016, this one will also be a celebration based on hockey played in the prairies.

I'm not surprised reading comments on the main board emphasizing that our history is that of the Thrashers and that of Jets 1.0 now belongs to Arizona. However, I am surprised when I read those same comments on our Jets board. Just because the NHL manages their records that way doesn't mean that we as Jets fans have to agree. We are the same fans that cheered on all versions of teams named the Winnipeg Jets. Our memories weren't suddenly transferred to the fans in Arizona just because the assets of the team were sold by Barry Shenkarow to Richard Burke and Steven Gluckstern in 1995 for relocation to Phoenix. It's the fans that make the team relevant not the other way around.

Ilya Kovalchuk will never mean anything to us simply because he played for the fans in Atlanta and not us. That's not meant to disparage him in any way as he was a great player but he wasn't ours. Our memories will always be of players like Hull, Hedberg, Nilsson, Hawerchuk, Selanne and now Byfuglien, Laine, etc. Those are the players that played for (or are currently playing for) us fans in Winnipeg and no league mandate can change that.

I completely agree with you.

The whole "Jets history belongs to the Coyotes" is garbage.

The perfect example is when the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats rebranded as the Charlotte Hornets 2.0.

All the history of the Charlotte Hornets 1.0 that was residing in New Orleans was transferred back to Charlotte.

The sun did not explode and the NBA didn't fold just because the history was transferred.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/10958580/charlotte-bobcats-officially-change-nickname-hornets

Whitfield also announced that, in collaboration with the NBA and the Pelicans, all the statistical information, records and history of Charlotte NBA basketball will be restored to the franchise.

That means the Hornets will now own and have access to all the historical elements from the recent Bobcats era (2004-14) as well as the original Hornets teams that played in Charlotte -- including stats from stars such as Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning and Muggsy Bogues.

All Hornets records from their years in New Orleans will revert to the Pelicans' history, Whitfield said.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I completely agree with you.

The whole "Jets history belongs to the Coyotes" is garbage.

The perfect example is when the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats rebranded as the Charlotte Hornets 2.0.

All the history of the Charlotte Hornets 1.0 that was residing in New Orleans was transferred back to Charlotte.

The sun did not explode and the NBA didn't fold just because the history was transferred.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/10958580/charlotte-bobcats-officially-change-nickname-hornets

Whitfield also announced that, in collaboration with the NBA and the Pelicans, all the statistical information, records and history of Charlotte NBA basketball will be restored to the franchise.

That means the Hornets will now own and have access to all the historical elements from the recent Bobcats era (2004-14) as well as the original Hornets teams that played in Charlotte -- including stats from stars such as Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning and Muggsy Bogues.

All Hornets records from their years in New Orleans will revert to the Pelicans' history, Whitfield said.

Exactly. Both the NBA and NFL have proven it can be done. I'm not sure why so many (especially on the main board) get so bent out of shape at the thought of the NHL following suit. It would be simple to have the Coyotes history begin as of 1996-97 when it was the first season of NHL hockey in Phoenix. The players league stats would never disappear but it would just be treated the same way as when a player is traded from one team to another. When the Jets traded Hawerchuk to the Sabres his stats with Winnipeg didn't continue on to become part of those with Buffalo but they did still accumulate with those of his overall stats in the NHL. Records should be kept with the city where they were made especially in cases in which the team name remains the same.

Reactions: Guardian17

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Exactly. Both the NBA and NFL have proven it can be done. I'm not sure why so many (especially on the main board) get so bent out of shape at the thought of the NHL following suit. It would be simple to have the Coyotes history begin as of 1996-97 when it was the first season of NHL hockey in Phoenix. The players league stats would never disappear but it would just be treated the same way as when a player is traded from one team to another. When the Jets traded Hawerchuk to the Sabres his stats with Winnipeg didn't continue on to become part of those with Buffalo but they did still accumulate with those of his overall stats in the NHL. Records should be kept with the city where they were made especially in cases in which the team name remains the same.
It was ridiculous to the point of laughable to have seen Phoenix retire Hawerchuk and Steen's jerseys. The same would hold true if we honoured Kovalchuk, Heatley or Hossa. Silliness.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Also very well said. :thumbu::thumbu:

Reactions: DowntownBooster

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Completely agree - except I don't think the team name really makes any difference. I know it seems to, but deep down it doesn't make any difference at all.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Hell yeah, green. You skate out in Riders colours, that crowd is yours. Probably sell a million of them in Saskatchewan. See that below, she's a beauty, eh? Do it, True North! :nod:

193685.jpg

Full disclosure: I am a Riders fan.

They should come out in Bomber colours ...... that would be a great heel move ....

:naughty:

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Love to see the team eventually up with a significantly new design eventually for one of its New Jersey’s vs just putting these old 1.0 jerseys.
Isn't the idea of a Heritage game to remember the past? Old jerseys is what this is about. They already went with a new design for the third jersey the Aviator which was not well received.

Reactions: jetsforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad