Speculation: Winnipeg Jets to get 3rd Jersey next season - with a new logo

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I'm willing to meet half way to all those saying we shouldn't go back to the past for a design if we can at least agree on the notion that using or incorporating some elements of the past should at least be considered as an *option* and not be discounted unilaterally simply because it is "old". Whether you like the old logos or not is subjective. I'm putting that aside. In many walks of life we use past experiences/influences to help us shape the present. Why can't this apply to Jersey designs?

Last edited:

JetsCameHome

Sep 19, 2011
Anyone else find almost all the media folks slurping up the design. I find it hard to believe they all somehow like it.

BobEssensa

Jun 16, 2011
20 years from now, we will look back fondly on these jerseys and remember that these were debuted the season we won our first Cup. You see, when it comes to jerseys, as time goes by, it's not so much how the jersey looks, but rather the accomplishments the team reached while wearing them. I am ready to love these.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I'm willing to meet half way to all those saying we shouldn't go back to the past for a design if we can at least agree on the notion that using or incorporating some elements of the past should at least be considered as an *option* and not be discounted unilaterally simply because it is "old". Whether you like the old logos or not is subjective. I'm putting that aside. In many walks of life we use past experiences/influences to help us shape the present. Why can't this apply to Jersey designs?

The write up on the website says the design and stripes are lifted from the 90s jerseys, the script logo is inspired by 70s script logos and the jet in the crossing of the T is a nod to all the previous logos that found a way to incorporate a jet. Is that not enough because it's a different shade of blue and theres no red?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I really dislike our current logo. I don't really like wordmarks that much but this jersey is pretty sweet.

People saying the 80's or 90's logos were poorly designed aren't really being fair. It's like saying a 1980 Vega isn't well designed. Well, according to today's standards, of course not.

When you look at the logos being designed in the 70's and 80's our logo was very in line with what was a standard of excellence.

For me it stands the test of time because of the history, just like the original Penguins logo (which LEGITIMATELY looks like a child drew it).

Unfortunately we are stuck with our primary logo and confusing jersey, but luckily I don't worry about it too much. I'm more interested in the hockey :)

Reactions: Jetsfan79

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The write up on the website says the design and stripes are lifted from the 90s jerseys, the script logo is inspired by 70s script logos and the jet in the crossing of the T is a nod to all the previous logos that found a way to incorporate a jet. Is that not enough because it's a different shade of blue and theres no red?
More cowbell I mean more red.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
I have to agree about the living in the past thing. There are some things that could age forever, but some things we need to move on from. But I think one day we'll be back to the old Jets logo as an alternative to start.

We all signed up for living in the past as soon as (1) The new ownership decided to buy into (and cash in on) the JETS name and (2) we became a Canadian NHL team releasing third jerseys. It's all pretty obvious I don't know why some can't see how invested in Jets 1.0 the ownership and the city is. If we were going to break away from it we wouldn't be the JETS.

Reactions: DowntownBooster

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

You can reach for the past and come up with something thats good or not. (Heritage classic = good IMO). The new 3rd jersey looks plain and dull no matter what the inspiration was (in my opinion). The post I made was in response to the notion that we shouldn't even be looking at the past at all for design concepts.

But you actually bring up a good point. Some are saying they like the new 3rds because it's new and fresh. But ironically, it is based/inspired by on an earlier design.

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

I have to admit that I like the way they incorporated the jet into the script on the logo. Very clever.

:jets

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
You make several good points White Out 403, especially in regards to what people are saying on the main boards about these new thirds. It's easy for some of the posters on this board to claim only the old-timers like the HC jerseys and are living in the past. I've read so many comments on the main boards just trashing these jerseys as being the worst in history or the most boring and they can't figure out why the Jets wouldn't stick with the HC jerseys instead. The March 7, 2017 magazine ranked the Jets HC jerseys #1 as the best alternate in the league. When the Jets first released the images of them for the HC game in 2016 there was widespread applause for the look (and that was from people outside our market). I suspect that a majority of the people that had high praise for the HC jerseys weren't even around when the WHA was in existence but simply liked the look of them.

As you also pointed out, the Bombers waited so many years to finally bring back the royal blue. People's taste in uniforms is not always based on age either. The fans speak with their wallets - young and old. They either like it or they don't. I always find it funny when individuals play the age card and comment that it's time for a fresh look. I still see many young people wearing Canadiens and Leafs jerseys around town. None of them appeared to be 50 year olds disguised as 15 year olds. For some reason the assumption has been made that if a person doesn't like the new third jerseys they don't like the current version of the Jets or they are living in the past. The truth is we all love the Jets. We simply have different opinions on what looks good and what doesn't. I'll still continue to support the Jets (and the Bombers) but I know both teams would make more money from me if I like what it is they are selling. I know that somewhere on Long Island an individual thought the Fisherman jerseys were they way to go only to find out that people actually were quite happy with the Islanders original look regardless of their age.

This. Especially agree with the bolded.

BobEssensa

Jun 16, 2011
I am at the Jets gear store. The blue isn't as light as I thought it would be. Definitely growing on me. I will pick one up when they go on sale

Also, they've got a sweet fitted cap with the 80s Jets logo for those who collect hats. It's not the regular wool either. Pretty sweet.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
This is just a home uni so like baseball no need to put the name of city on the home jersey not to mention the original crest they modeled it aftet didn't have it

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I really like our 2.0 logo, thought it was sharp from the get go. I like our current darks, destain our white jerseys with the weird arm bands intersecting the shoulder stripe.

But when I saw the heritage jerseys, that classic logo with the darkened blue, it instantly connected 25 years of hockey past with me. It was like seeing an iconic logo, it instantly connects you to the product and all its history.

That and it just pops, looks amazing on the jersey, and I find myself wishing it was our permanent logo again.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
This is just a home uni so like baseball no need to put the name of city on the home jersey not to mention the original crest they modeled it aftet didn't have it

Interestingly I just saw a photo of the Jets gear store. It shows T-Shirts on sale with the new word mark logo and it does have "Winnipeg" on it very similar to the fan mock-up thats been posted in this thread.

Last edited:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Interestingly I just saw a photo of the Jets gear store showing T-Shirts on sale with the new word mark logo and it does have "Winnipeg" on it very similar to the fan mock-up thats been posted in this thread.

Think they were trying to stay true to the original jersey crest they modeled it after. T-Shirts and that are a little diffrent.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Looks fine to me. Hot seller at fan fest.. I know you guys on here might not agree but its quite apparent that hfboards jets is a vocal minority. The ppl *****ing on twitter.. Likely The same ones *****ing on here .

Time to probably come to grips with that.. Vocal minority

That must be true. It was the vocal minority that bought up all the HC gear. It's always surprising to see how few people are wearing them at Jets games. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Guardian17

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
That one with toyish blue color is excellent apart from couple of minor things:

-that color is ridiculous
-text "logo" is no logo, looks just generic crap
-shoulders look empty
-white stripes are way too wide/tall and look off based
-Scheifele's #55 has an odd top right corner shape

tl;dr: other than color, shapes, logo and numbers the new jersey is okay. Scheifele's facial expression sums it up quite nicely.

Edit: I forgot to add that deep blue pants matches with that toy blue shirt like... like... well. I am speechless.

That darker version with white shoulders is not nearly as bad. Add those fan-made red pants and it's almost good apart from the logo.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
That must be true. It was the vocal minority that bought up all the HC gear. It's always surprising to see how few people are wearing them at Jets games. :rolleyes:

Move on from the past. Open up your very own portage and main. Its time to let it go. Heritage stuff is fine too tho.. I own a Helle one myself but the Heritage is just that.. The Heritage jersey. This one is a 3rd Jersey. Deal with it .You are a vocal minority. Nothing wrong with that but the avg fan.. They dont give 2 craps .

E C DUB E C DUB E C DUB.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Looks fine to me. Hot seller at fan fest.. I know you guys on here might not agree but its quite apparent that hfboards jets is a vocal minority. The ppl *****ing on twitter.. Likely The same ones *****ing on here .

Time to probably come to grips with that.. Vocal minority
What does that have to do with anything? Vocal minority? How is that a surprise?
I just dont like jersey, glad others do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad