Speculation: Winnipeg Jets to get 3rd Jersey next season - with a new logo

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
My girlfriend who knows little or nothing about the Jets loves the Heritage classic jersey and dislikes the new one. Is nostalgia the reason she likes the Heritage classic logo/design? Isn't it just *possible* the Heritage classic logo/design and some other retro designs out there are more popular because it's well designed?

The Jets pie plate logo is not well designed.

FYI I own a Heritage Classic Jersey and love it. But the logo would get laughed out of town if it was a new design.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
We will have to agree to disagree on that one.
the pie plate logo is awful. it's only great now because of the kitsch.
want a nice logo from that era?the Devils' logo is classic (their jersey? not so much). nordiques had a great logo as well. the Whalers' logo was intelligent but i always hated the colours

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
the pie plate logo is awful. it's only great now because of the kitsch.
want a nice logo from that era?the Devils' logo is classic (their jersey? not so much). nordiques had a great logo as well. the Whalers' logo was intelligent but i always hated the colours

When Jets 2.0 logo first went out I should it to a bunch non hockey fans. Most felt the old logo was better when I showed them that logo beside it. Don't get me wrong, I think the current logo is solid. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. It's hard to measure the quality of something subjective like a logo/jersey design because it comes to taste.. What is measurable is sales. Based on that, the Heritage classic jersey is a big winner.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You see there is where we differ. I DO NOT like the old uniforms for "nostalgia". I simply like the design..regardless of *when*" it was made. Period. So when something harkens back to that design, I tend to also like it because it using elements of a design I already like. It's not because of "nostalgia". There are many designs in my youth (some associated with good memories) that I did not like then and do not like now. By that same token, there are many new designs from today that I like way better than some from the past. My gf who is not a Jets fan, has little knowledge of the team and likes allot of "trendy" new things, really likes the Heritage classic jerseys. Does that mean she's being "nostalgic"?
So, we agree in our approach. Appreciate things for how they are, not just because they are traditional.

I'm like the Jets history (Habs, too), but I don't need everything to reference their history to retain the nostalgia and memories. As I noted, I would have been okay with changing to a name other than Jets. It wouldn't have erased memories or appreciation for the old Jets history, for me.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Fact is pole after pole here and on the main boards show that not only are the heritage and 1.0 jerseys more popular, it's not even close.

And yet we're still subjected to people claiming that others are clinging to the past when in reality it's just better taste and better quality of design

The third jerseys we have don't suck necessarily, they just suck compared to what we could have had. You know what the Blue Bombers for the last 20 years before they got smart and went with the royal blues.

critics who crap on the old logos and Legacy of the Jets 1.0 read like a bunch of hipster contrarians to me

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Fact is pole after pole here and on the main boards show that not only are the heritage and 1.0 jerseys more popular, it's not even close.

And yet we're still subjected to people claiming that others are clinging to the past when in reality it's just better taste and better quality of design

The third jerseys we have don't suck necessarily, they just suck compared to what we could have had. You know what the Blue Bombers for the last 20 years before they got smart and went with the royal blues.

All these are critics who crap on the old logos and Legacy of the Jets 1.0 read like a bunch of hipster contrarians to me
You realize that posters here might not be fully representative of the general public or fan community, right?

Reactions: kellhunter

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
Fan edit adding red as an accent color.

I'd like that way more. The actual one looks unfinished. I like the simplistic approach, but the result is just... meh. The team colors and imagery give such good tools to create cool jerseys, but tbh, I've liked most of the fan mockups better.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
A little red to me says “Winnipeg Jets”. Didn’t always feel that way but with the heritage jersey it’s brought me over. I like the shade of blue and the lettering(my first name starts with a “J” so I may be bias ;) ). Feels like they are trying to separate themselves from the old Jets.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
When Jets 2.0 logo first went out I should it to a bunch non hockey fans. Most felt the old logo was better when I showed them that logo beside it. Don't get me wrong, I think the current logo is solid. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. It's hard to measure the quality of something subjective like a logo/jersey design because it comes to taste.. What is measurable is sales. Based on that, the Heritage classic jersey is a big winner.
there is nothing wrong with our current logo. i'd put it in the top half of the league's logos. it looks great on a jersey. we're at the point now where most league logos are very good to great. the Caines, Kings, Canucks, Sens, (arguably) Ducks, Wild, Columbus, Avs, Tampa Bay and Dallas are the worst and can use tinkers or total reboots.

the Canucks bringing back the Skate. the Skate is awful. it's ridiculous. it's a 1980's neon sign. they should have at least adjusted the colours and some of the stripes to make it more palatable. buutt....that said, it has kitsch. so it works when used sparingly. same with our Heritage logo.
i'd side in the camp of wanting "Winnipeg" in the tail of the JETS logo, and simply for the reason to make it look a bit more complex or thought out.
also, the lack of shoulder bar is interesting, and maybe not in a positive way.

like i posted before, i waver from liking it to thinking that it looks like a beer-league jersey. so it's not awful. but it's not sexy.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

critics who crap on the old logos and Legacy of the Jets 1.0 read like a bunch of hipster contrarians to me

You make several good points White Out 403, especially in regards to what people are saying on the main boards about these new thirds. It's easy for some of the posters on this board to claim only the old-timers like the HC jerseys and are living in the past. I've read so many comments on the main boards just trashing these jerseys as being the worst in history or the most boring and they can't figure out why the Jets wouldn't stick with the HC jerseys instead. The March 7, 2017 magazine ranked the Jets HC jerseys #1 as the best alternate in the league. When the Jets first released the images of them for the HC game in 2016 there was widespread applause for the look (and that was from people outside our market). I suspect that a majority of the people that had high praise for the HC jerseys weren't even around when the WHA was in existence but simply liked the look of them.

As you also pointed out, the Bombers waited so many years to finally bring back the royal blue. People's taste in uniforms is not always based on age either. The fans speak with their wallets - young and old. They either like it or they don't. I always find it funny when individuals play the age card and comment that it's time for a fresh look. I still see many young people wearing Canadiens and Leafs jerseys around town. None of them appeared to be 50 year olds disguised as 15 year olds. For some reason the assumption has been made that if a person doesn't like the new third jerseys they don't like the current version of the Jets or they are living in the past. The truth is we all love the Jets. We simply have different opinions on what looks good and what doesn't. I'll still continue to support the Jets (and the Bombers) but I know both teams would make more money from me if I like what it is they are selling. I know that somewhere on Long Island an individual thought the Fisherman jerseys were they way to go only to find out that people actually were quite happy with the Islanders original look regardless of their age.

:jets

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I have to agree about the living in the past thing. There are some things that could age forever, but some things we need to move on from. But I think one day we'll be back to the old Jets logo as an alternative to start.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I find it fascinating how polarizing this is. The new jersey basically is a dead ringer for the 90's jersey in its design and but it's "trash", "garbage", "worst in history". If it were darker blue with red accents on the white stripes instead it would be "beautiful" and TNSE would sell "billions".

Not a huge fan of the wordmark logo but I'm sure it will grow on me.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

And yet again you are completely wrong here in stating that the old Jersey's and logos are better taste and better quality of design. That is subjective and is only an opinion which you don't seem to get. I look at the old Jersey's and logos and want nothing to do with them, I think they suck and I am glad they they left them in the past and many others do as well. Of course I don't gave the data as to how many people prefer this or that cause the opinions vary dramatically. Now I still love the Jets of the past but the logos and unis to me should stay in the past. One caveat for me is that the heritage Jersey with the new logo would be real sweet and I am not completely over the moon with the new third Jersey but I'm not appalled by it either. I just hate the notion that the ugly (to me) logos of the 80s and 90s should be brought back and that True North is disrespecting the past because they are not bringing them back when I thank god that they have the brains to leave them there and go in a new direction.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
So you honestly look at the pie plate logo and think it's well designed? OK then.

It's all about personal taste. For me it is well designed. Or maybe I should just say it's pleasing to the eye for me. Yes, It's all in the eye of the bolder. Tie breaker for me would be something measurable like sales. And I have a strong hunch in the end the Heritage classic jerseys will out sell the new 3rd jerseys.

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I agree that looking to the past jets ideas is dumb. The thing is, you have to come up with something else. Third jerseys are supposed to be fun. Not boring. I'd rather go with a crazy ugly jersey than a boring one.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
On the main board there is a mock up of the new logo on the heritage classic jerseys style and that would be my ultimate wish. I guess what I really detest is the logos of the 80s and 90s and I vastly prefer the new logo to those ugly eyesores. The look of a blue Jersey with red pants and red trim or the white version with the new logo is really quite nice in my opinion and would be among the best in the league.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad