Speculation: Winnipeg Jets to get 3rd Jersey next season - with a new logo

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Interestingly I just saw a photo of the Jets gear store. It shows T-Shirts on sale with the new word mark logo and it does have "Winnipeg" on it very similar to the fan mock-up thats been posted in this thread.

Oof gonna take a lot of self control not to order in one of those tshirts.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
The t-shirt isn't so bad, I'll probably buck up for one of those. Still no chance on that jersey though.

Yeah I like the shirt. But at the same time that tells you exactly what is wrong with the Jersey. It just looks too boring, uninspired and dull. It's a design that works well with an everyday t-shirt that doesn't want to pop out but not really with a jersey.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I find it strange how many people are slamming the jersey. Something has to be wrong here... sales seem to be going very well?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I was a little underwhelmed when I first saw the picture, but wanted to give it a chance. I saw it in person at the Fan Fest and with the name and numbers and the whole uniform, I'm starting to like it.

I think they made a mistake not putting the "Winnipeg" in the bottom of the logo. It's on pretty much all the other merch that I saw, and now not only does the jersey and merch not match, but the merch that has the Winnipeg looks better IMO.

Reactions: purdy44

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

Ok this photo makes everything look waaay better. The pants and gloves don't look mismatched

Maybe it was the lighting in some pictures that made the pants look purple at the unveiling but you're right that it does look better in this picture. I think if they had gone with black pants it would have erased any concerns that the jersey color was a mismatch with the pants but then again black isn't really one of the Jets colors anyway. I guess it can be tricky when trying to match certain shades of blue especially when different fabrics are involved.

:jets

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I find it amusing when people post about some Jets fans living in the past. Are fans of the Canadiens living in the past because the Habs don't change their uniforms every 5 years? Maybe they just appreciate a classic uniform and don't think a team needs to "change with the times". Did the fans of the Subban and Roy era of the Canadiens refer to the era of Lafleur, Beliveau or Richard as something in the past and it's time to focus on a new era of stars? No, that would be absurd. You can be a really big fan of the current players on your team without ignoring the stars of the past. It's called respecting your heritage. It's something worthy of building upon rather than ignoring or ridiculing.

Yes, I understand that some people believe you need to sever ties from the past and start fresh. They would say - "Forget the Beatles and Rolling Stones, time to move on to Adele and Drake". No, you don't have to forget about the past in order to appreciate the present. A lot of teams make a big mistake changing their uniforms in order to be trendy. Anyone remember the Buffaslug uniforms (Buffalo Sabres) and the Gortman's Fisherman uniforms (New York Islanders) because someone thought a change was needed? An outcry from each of those teams fan bases occurred and they went back to their traditional uniforms. Sometimes it's just a matter of the fans knowing what they like and what they don't like.

If we're making a music analogy, wouldn't put the 80's-90's Jets in the same league as Beatles and the Rolling Stones, or Bach or Mozart as another poster alluded.

I'm 47 years old, a lifelong Winnipegger. I remember Jets 1.0 fondly, but I'd rather live in the now.

Jets 1.0 were not great. They missed the playoffs 6 times, went out in the first round 9 times, and out in the second round 2 times. 'But hey they made the playoffs 11 times!' you might say? Well, in the old structure it was easier to make the playoffs. 7 of those times, they had a < .500 regular season record. Heck in '85 they somehow got in with a terrible 26-47-7 record. That's right; 59 pts in 80 games was all it took to make the playoffs (swept by the Flames).

The Jets 1.0 finished with a record of 506-660-172.

Respect the past? Sure. I think they've already done that. By the name choice, and by the release of the HC jerseys. TN didn't have to do either, and if I recall properly in 2010 there were some that wouldn't even have minded a different name; we just wanted a team back.

The Jets 2.0 team has gone farther in the NHL postseason than the previous iteration. Their logo has already been in use 2 years longer than the 90's jets logo. In another 2, it will have been in use just as long as the 80's logo.

A good portion of this roster, has more seasons under their belt as a Jet than say, Teemu Selanne (4 seasons). And in a few years, as many as Dale Hawerchuk. Will they be cherished as much, I wonder? I hope so.

IMHO this team isn't so much for my generation, as it is for the current, and the next.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nordiques1979

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
If we're making a music analogy, wouldn't put the 80's-90's Jets in the same league as Beatles and the Rolling Stones, or Bach or Mozart as another poster alluded.

I'm 47 years old, a lifelong Winnipegger. I remember Jets 1.0 fondly, but I'd rather live in the now.

Jets 1.0 were not great. They missed the playoffs 6 times, went out in the first round 9 times, and out in the second round 2 times. 'But hey they made the playoffs 11 times!' you might say? Well, in the old structure it was easier to make the playoffs. 7 of those times, they had a < .500 regular season record. Heck in '85 they somehow got in a terrible 26-47-7 record. That's right; 59 pts in 80 games was all it took to make the playoffs (swept by the Flames).

The Jets 1.0 finished with a record of 506-660-172.

Respect the past? Sure. I think they've already done that. By the name choice, and by the release of the HC jerseys. TN didn't have to do either, and if I recall properly in 2010 there were some that wouldn't even have minded a different name; we just wanted a team back.

The Jets 2.0 team has gone farther in an NHL playoff series than the previous iteration. Their logo has already been in use 2 years longer than the 90's jets logo. In another 2, it have been in use just as long as the 80's logo.

A good portion of this roster, has already more seasons under their belts as a Jet than say, Teemu Selanne (4 seasons). And in a few years, as many as Dale Hawerchuk. Will they be cherished as much, I wonder? I hope so.

IMHO this team isn't so much for my generation, as it is for the current, and the next.

You can't simply equate heritage with winning. The Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1967. That's over 50 years ago. Again, over 50 years. In spite of the Stanley Cup drought, the Leafs are still proud to maintain their history and tradition.

I agree with you the Jets didn't have a stellar record in the 80's but they did play some pretty good hockey when they had players like Hawerchuk, MacLean, Mullen, Boschman, Ellett, Essensa, etc. and they gave Edmonton a pretty good run for their money at the time. Had they been able to get past the Oilers, who knew what the possibilities were?

I go back a little further than you as a Jets fan having the opportunity to watch the Hot Line of Hull, Hedberg and Nilsson play some of the most exciting hockey in this city. Winning 3 Avco Cup championships also helped establish a foundation to build upon in future years of the Jets. Players like Dale Hawerchuk were very aware of the history of the team with players like Bobby Hull and the success the team had previously. And as previously mentioned about the Oilers, if they weren't such a dominating team, it's quite likely the Jets records in the 80s would have been so much better.

What are your thoughts regarding the heritage of the Canadiens? They haven't won the cup since 1993. Should they change their name, colors, logo? Go with something trendy? It's the heritage in hockey that motivates players getting into the game in the first place. It meant something for Beliveau to play on the team that Richard had played for and the same for Lafleur to play on the team Beliveau played for. The team name and logo meant something to those players and gave them a sense of belonging to something greater than themselves. You don't get that with a team that changes its uniforms (or name) every few seasons.

In regards to the Beatles and Rolling Stones, the point was that it's so easy for someone to just say "that's in the past" or "it's time to move on to something current". It really isn't that difficult to appreciate the past and like the current at the same time. You don't have to ignore/dismiss one in order to embrace the other. You actually can like both.

True North did the right thing by naming the team the Jets. We have a unique hockey history in Winnipeg and it shouldn't be disregarded. The Jets were never just simply another expansion team. The team was torn away from us, it was never rejected by the fans here. Sure, the players are different but they change all the time. It's the fans that always remain whether or not the players come and go. It's the history that binds it all together for the fans.

I enjoy the current Jets as much as all the rest that played for us in this city. I want to see Blake Wheeler hoist the Stanley Cup just as I did when Lars-Erik Sjoberg hoisted the Avco Cup for the hockey fans of Winnipeg. I'm living in the present with these Jets while always remembering the past. Both can be done at the same time.

Reactions: Guardian17

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ultimately TNSE will gauge the success/failure of this 3rd jersey by sales. Something tells me it will be seen as a success.
Yes, the real purpose of a 3rd jersey is to sell more gear. I think they'll do alright, though I'm pretty lukewarm on the the new look.

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
I was looking for the info when these new 3rds are making the debut (perhaps it's already said somewhere in this thread) but if anyone else is wondering icethetics.co's blog post states "The new third jersey makes its on-ice debut Oct. 14 when the Jets host the Hurricanes."

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
I was looking for the info when these new 3rds are making the debut (perhaps it's already said somewhere in this thread) but if anyone else is wondering icethetics.co's blog post states "The new third jersey makes its on-ice debut Oct. 14 when the Jets host the Hurricanes."
The 14 Aviator Jersey nights are listed on this webpage... Winnipeg Jets Aviator Jersey

Reactions: Dessert Nights

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
Interestingly I just saw a photo of the Jets gear store. It shows T-Shirts on sale with the new word mark logo and it does have "Winnipeg" on it very similar to the fan mock-up thats been posted in this thread.

It says Winnipeg on the players' helmets.

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
My gf is coming into town for the weekend. She's from Hamilton and has zero interest in sports, making her truly an outsider to this debate. I'm going to bring her to the Jets Gear Store and see what she thinks of the new logo/merch. Will be interesting to see which (if any) merchandise she gravitates to.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The 14 Aviator Jersey nights are listed on this webpage... Winnipeg Jets Aviator Jersey

Over a third of my games are Ugly Jersey nights.

tenor.gif

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Our home games are gonna look so weird. You are going to get the bunch that will wear the normal home jersey, then you will get the bunch that will wear the HC jersey, then you will get a bunch wearing the new 3rd jersey. At least in the playoffs everyone looks the same.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Our home games are gonna look so weird. You are going to get the bunch that will wear the normal home jersey, then you will get the bunch that will wear the HC jersey, then you will get a bunch wearing the new 3rd jersey. At least in the playoffs everyone looks the same.

In protest of this madness, I'm just going to wear Riders gear to games this season. :)

Reactions: cbcwpg

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

Well I guess one way of looking at it is that no matter what version of Jets jerseys are being worn, the seats are always full. :thumbu:

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

Oh you humans and your racism.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
What are your thoughts regarding the heritage of the Canadiens? They haven't won the cup since 1993. Should they change their name, colors, logo? Go with something trendy? It's the heritage in hockey that motivates players getting into the game in the first place. It meant something for Beliveau to play on the team that Richard had played for and the same for Lafleur to play on the team Beliveau played for. The team name and logo meant something to those players and gave them a sense of belonging to something greater than themselves. You don't get that with a team that changes its uniforms (or name) every few seasons.

In regards to the Beatles and Rolling Stones, the point was that it's so easy for someone to just say "that's in the past" or "it's time to move on to something current". It really isn't that difficult to appreciate the past and like the current at the same time. You don't have to ignore/dismiss one in order to embrace the other. You actually can like both.

Well, this isn't a change, as it is an option. That's what TNSE has done: given us more options to like (or dislike), and gotten lambasted for it here by a few (someone said, "Cheapman disrespecting the past and the fans, forcing this down our throats etc").

Like the Heritage Classic jerseys? TNSE gave us a Heritage Classic jersey. For sure there are going to be more runs of them, there are plenty in circulation, and you will see them on the ice again.

Like the current jersey? Well then you can get it in home and away colors. Camo and pink too, actually.

Want something different? Clean in lighter blue? Well then there's the alternate jersey.

The past will always be there; you can find retro gear everywhere, the footage and photos will always be in archives somewhere, and in our memories. But the best way to build new, unique memories is by...trying something new.

I don't mind retro - I own one of the mustard-yellow Winnipeg Falcons jerseys and I actually love it. But never be afraid to embrace the new. I like this alternate jersey, it's a pretty fresh look IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad