Speculation: Winnipeg Jets to get 3rd Jersey next season - with a new logo

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
But why do we ever talk franchise records? Or, more to the point, do we ever talk franchise records? The talking heads on TV do it, but does anyone care when they do? Well, apparently you do. But why? Completely meaningless.

The way I look at it, Jets 1.0 went broke (they did). The assets of the dead franchise were sold to a new owner in Phoenix. The assets included player contracts and rights plus the league licence, that is the franchise. But that is all it was. Just the remaining assets of a dead entity.

It was the same when we got the Thrashers. The history can be moved on paper but history doesn't work that way. It is not just an asset. It is what happened and that doesn't change when an accountant moves some numbers from one ledger to another. Jets 1.0 happened in Winnipeg, not Phoenix. Did Poland's history transfer to Germany in 1939?

We talk franchise records because it was not an expansion team.

If an original 6 team re-located would you ignore franchise records? I doubt it.

Players moved with that team. For example, our current captain.

It is just reality.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Aavco finding what I couldn't.

It's too subtle for N. American hockey fans. It needs to be something more like this... (now that is a jet airplane!)

kisscc0-douglas-dc-8-douglas-dc-3-airplane-aircraft-silhou-douglas-dc-8-silhouette-5b741314bc42b1.2108373215343337167711.png

T-shirts could be something like this...

kids-airplane-t-shirt-cool-jet-silhouette-flying-overhead-12-white

Reactions: HannuJ

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

If an original 6 team re-located would you ignore franchise records? I doubt it.

It is just reality.

I could not possibly disagree more. Reality is that what happened in Winnipeg is Winnipeg's history. Phoenix doesn't own it. The Coyotes don't own it. The NHL doesn't own it. They can't sell it, or move it.

Players move all the time. Do EK's records now belong to San Jose? Does what Wheeler has done in Winnipeg belong to Atlanta?

If the Habs moved to Kansas City, Montreal would still have all of that history. The banners might hang in an arena in KC but the banners are not the history. Read a book on Montreal's history written 10 years after the team moved and it will be full of the Habs history in Montreal. You'll read about the Maurice Richard riot. It happened in Montreal. It won't mention a word about what happened after the team left. That riot won't somehow become part of KC's history.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hopefully there are red pants .:naughty: Seriously though these are boring , like others have said already , i hope when they have everything on it helps .

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

stimpsoncat

Jan 5, 2014
I think this actually is gonna look awesome once it's on a player, the render of it is super skinny and weird looking - even the heritage would look bad with those dimensions
I hope so, waiting for the actual reveal to see how they look on the players.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

It is just reality.

Here's another way of looking at it Cellee. The CFL considers all clubs that have played in Montreal as one franchise dating back to 1946, and considers the Alouettes to have suspended operations in 1987 before returning in 1996. Even though the current Alouettes team was a relocation of the Baltimore Stallions, neither the league nor Alouettes recognize the Baltimore franchise, or it's records, as part of the Alouettes' official team history.

We can also cite the Cleveland Browns as an example. The owner, Art Modell, moved the team to Baltimore following the 1995 season. Cleveland was allowed to retain the team's history and also awarded an expansion franchise to start in 1999. Technically, the Baltimore Ravens were the Cleveland Browns as all the players, coaching staff, etc., including the owner all relocated from Cleveland to Baltimore. Yet the NFL allowed the city of Cleveland to retain the Browns history and continue it with the new team in 1999.

There is also the example of the NBA Charlotte Bobcats being allowed to retake the history of the Hornets a number of years after the original Charlotte team relocated to New Orleans but decided to change the team name to Pelicans even though they had already gone by Hornets for several seasons in New Orleans.

It has been done by other leagues as they recognize the importance a team means to a particular city. Just because the NHL doesn't follow suit by allowing Winnipeg to retain the records of Jets 1.0 for whatever reason, it doesn't mean the historical events never happened here. The players may have moved to Phoenix in 1996 but the fans with the memories remained here. The history of all Winnipeg Jets teams belong here just as much, if not more, than those of the Montreal Alouettes, Cleveland Browns or Charlotte Hornets.

:jets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad