Pre-Game Talk: Winnipeg Jets @ the Detroit Red Wings Jan 13th maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He's going to get a shot there. It looks like. I am not sure that's a great line, as Perfetti has to do some of things that Svetchnikov did, and more recently Harkins, to bring success, and that's some digging. Defensively it will be interesting to see if he can have the success either of those two guys were.

I'm more worried about the impact of Stastny's injury. This team has shown all year to have a drop off when Stats isn't in the lineup.

If the result is Copp being pushed up to the top 6, and Harkins taking Suess's spot when he comes back, frankly that's not a great top 9.
4th line is ok. But there is a talent shortage at forward. If Stanley is out for a minute, I hope we bring Heinola up, and use Beaulieu as 7th d on the PK.

I don't know how the Covid situation with the Moose will affect callups, but this roster is thin, I don't know any way around it. Somebody is going to have to step up with a big game. You would expect the Michigan guys to be amped up, and some of the Ontario players might get the chance to play in front of family. Detroit's lineup is improved, particularly their defense, I think the Jets chance to win the game is being stronger up the middle.

Perfetti once he gets acclimatized will be just fine in his end. He is good at getting it out with control and he is usually in good position with an active stick. It just will likely take him a handful of games to get comfortable with NHL game speed. I'm basing this on his adjustment period in the AHL over the past few years.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Atoyot

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Perfetti once he gets acclimatized will be just fine in his end. He is good at getting it out with control and he is usually in good position with an active stick. It just will likely take him a handful of games to get comfortable with NHL game speed. I'm basing this on his adjustment period in the AHL over the past few years.

I think he gets a shot against Detroit. I'd be surprised if his family doesn't come to watch him for that game.

Beyond that my expectations are very low. I am not expecting a saviour. I am hoping he gets on the scoreboard in Detroit, maybe earns another game.

But we're getting into a tough part of the schedule here. Teams that are ahead of us in points, at home.

Perfetti hasn't exactly stood out in any of his appearances. He has the worst Corsi of any player on the team, and I would say that is a young player trying to adapt to the speed of a faster game. Ideally you would like to save some of the 9 games for his ELC for home games, to give him better matchup protection, because he did look amateur out there against the top guns. And there are more coming.

I expect him to stay with the team, practice with the team, while the Jets are on the road. I am not sure how many games he will get, I suppose his performance will be measured, like any other player. If everyone is healthy (excluding IR players) I think that he, Suess and Berdin form the taxi squad at some point, with Beaulieu as the extra roster player.

I don't know how the Covid outbreak on the Moose will affect callups, but there might not be any, as a result.

Reactions: FinJetster

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
To add to my "I have no concerns about Perfetti's scoring ability" comment, I have no concerns about his defensively play either. He doesn't cheat and he knows exactly where to be to disrupt plays. I wish there wasn't such a size bias in the NHL because I think he would be best used as a center.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think he gets a shot against Detroit. I'd be surprised if his family doesn't come to watch him for that game.

Beyond that my expectations are very low. I am not expecting a saviour. I am hoping he gets on the scoreboard in Detroit, maybe earns another game.

But we're getting into a tough part of the schedule here. Teams that are ahead of us in points, at home.

Perfetti hasn't exactly stood out in any of his appearances. He has the worst Corsi of any player on the team, and I would say that is a young player trying to adapt to the speed of a faster game. Ideally you would like to save some of the 9 games for his ELC for home games, to give him better matchup protection, because he did look amateur out there against the top guns. And there are more coming.

I expect him to stay with the team, practice with the team, while the Jets are on the road. I am not sure how many games he will get, I suppose his performance will be measured, like any other player. If everyone is healthy (excluding IR players) I think that he, Suess and Berdin form the taxi squad at some point, with Beaulieu as the extra roster player.

I don't know how the Covid outbreak on the Moose will affect callups, but there might not be any, as a result.

My opinion is do you want to live with the growing pains now so that he might be ready to contribute down the stretch or do you defer it one year.

Based on what I've seen of this team as a whole this year I'm not optimistic they will be a major competitor and as such i would be fine breaking in some kids now so that 10 to 20 games from now or next year they are big contributors and help us get back to that level.

I feel theborg should have done similar with Heinola last year instead of dressing the crap on defense that we did.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
To add to my "I have no concerns about Perfetti's scoring ability" comment, I have no concerns about his defensively play either. He doesn't cheat and he knows exactly where to be to disrupt plays. I wish there wasn't such a size bias in the NHL because I think he would be best used as a center.

That's encouraging, because the time might come when a coach wants to make Scheifele a winger. That would strengthen our RW position, which is depth poor, especially without Wheeler.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
My opinion is do you want to live with the growing pains now so that he might be ready to contribute down the stretch or do you defer it one year.

Based on what I've seen of this team as a whole this year I'm not optimistic they will be a major competitor and as such i would be fine breaking in some kids now so that 10 to 20 games from now or next year they are big contributors and help us get back to that level.

I feel theborg should have done similar with Heinola last year instead of dressing the crap on defense that we did.

The team made the playoffs last year, even won a round. So it's hard to argue with the way it was done.

This team is in a bigger fight for the playoffs, and honestly if you get to the deadline on the outside, you sell Copp, you sell Stastny, and then you are trying out young players. And frankly at that point I wouldn't want to see guys like Eyssimont or Mallott playing because you are protecting Perfetti's ELC year. At that point you would be building for next year's team.

I wouldn't say that Perfetti has shown enough to dislodge any of the starting 12 players currently here, with Gustafsson still trying to become a regular too. But like you said 3 games is just getting a taste...you do expect improvements.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The team made the playoffs last year, even won a round. So it's hard to argue with the way it was done.

This team is in a bigger fight for the playoffs, and honestly if you get to the deadline on the outside, you sell Copp, you sell Stastny, and then you are trying out young players. And frankly at that point I wouldn't want to see guys like Eyssimont or Mallott playing because you are protecting Perfetti's ELC year. At that point you would be building for next year's team.

I wouldn't say that Perfetti has shown enough to dislodge any of the starting 12 players currently here, with Gustafsson still trying to become a regular too. But like you said 3 games is just getting a taste...you do expect improvements.

Yes I expect to see continued improvement from him if he keeps getting comsistient minutes. I think the org clearly doesn't care about protecting his ELC as if they did he wouldn't be up here right now and they wouldn't be working him into a pp/top 6 role. They clearly can change their mind in another 3 to 4 games if he's not progressing as expected but I think they are fine with integrating him if he keeps improving. The ELC doesn't matter as our window is over when it expires whether it starts this year or next. This team clearly needs some depth scoring and perhaps he can help that this year. None of Harkins, Ves, Toninato and Lowry so far have shown to be an answer there. Nobody expects a 20 year old kid to be a savior, but if he can come in and chip in at a reasonable amount and help our second unit PP then that will help this team. It's about adding to what we have.

Imo you have to balance now vs what is ultimately going to help this team win a championship. Getting Perfetti up to speed now may pay significant gains at some point this year.

Let's be frank neither Svech/Harkins have really helped that second line the last few games. Might as well see what Cole can do.

We also imo need to solidify our bottom 6 and we need Copp back with Lowry and perhaps with Harkins to add some speed to that line.

Svech, Toninato and Ves look good as a fourth line that can give us some minutes and maybe pot a goal or two.

Reactions: Jets 31

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think most teams put them on the second pair with a vet or on a sheltered offensive third line.

The Dubois line is probably the closest we have to that Sheltered offensive line given Lowry wants to hard match the Scheifele and Lowry lines against the other teams best.

So to me I'm not really looking at it as top 6 vs bottom 6. I'm looking at it as let's put him out with good players against softer competition which I think Lowry is doing playing him with Dubois and Conner.

If you need to send a kid down the line up due to needing something else or inconsistent play from time to time sure. But for these kids you need to balance that against the kids confidence level. Keeping that confidence high while they are breaking in is probably the biggest thing that needs to happen.
Totally agree with the confidence angle. You can take a fantastically talented kid and break them with the wrong approach. I really don’t think you can overstate the mental angle of development.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yes I expect to see continued improvement from him if he keeps getting comsistient minutes. I think the org clearly doesn't care about protecting his ELC as if they did he wouldn't be up here right now and they wouldn't be working him into a pp/top 6 role. They clearly can change their mind in another 3 to 4 games if he's not progressing as expected but I think they are fine with integrating him if he keeps improving. The ELC doesn't matter as our window is over when it expires whether it starts this year or next. This team clearly needs some depth scoring and perhaps he can help that this year. None of Harkins, Ves, Toninato and Lowry so far have shown to be an answer there. Nobody expects a 20 year old kid to be a savior, but if he can come in and chip in at a reasonable amount and help our second unit PP then that will help this team. It's about adding to what we have.

Imo you have to balance now vs what is ultimately going to help this team win a championship. Getting Perfetti up to speed now may pay significant gains at some point this year.

Let's be frank neither Svech/Harkins have really helped that second line the last few games. Might as well see what Cole can do.

We also imo need to solidify our bottom 6 and we need Copp back with Lowry and perhaps with Harkins to add some speed to that line.

Svech, Toninato and Ves look good as a fourth line that can give us some minutes and maybe pot a goal or two.

See for me Perfetti hasn't been better than Reichel. Not in terms of goals, not in terms of skating, not in terms of physicality, not in terms of defensive ability, not in terms of positioning. So I don't see why Reichel comes out of lineup that probably needs RH shots. If anything I'd be giving Reichel some PK reps, because his skating is big league.

Harkins scored a big goal in Vegas, and was setting up chances with a tenacious forecheck.

If I am reading the lineup though, maybe Perfetti is a placeholder for Stastny, who protects Dubois on the draw. And Harkins goes back to Lowry's line, in Suess's place, with Reichel. That's a WHL checking line, with a lot of speed on the wings.

Putting Copp up with Scheifele, allows Copp to play more centre, and Scheifele to play more wing, which might prevent goals in our net.

This isn't a championship team, it's not even a playoff team at this point. Can Perfetti add offense? He hasn't yet, and with our prospects I think a lot of the hope is just that, hope, even when the results aren't there.

It wasn't long ago Vesalainen was a slam dunk 2nd liner on these boards, and now he is barely a 4th liner. Gustafsson is a guaranteed 3rd liner, but he hasn't even been better than Toninato as a 4th liner in a short stint.

Perfetti has a higher ceiling, but I don't think he is quite ready. PP is the one place where I think he could help, but that would take Lowry benching his son, unless Stastny is out.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
See for me Perfetti hasn't been better than Reichel. Not in terms of goals, not in terms of skating, not in terms of physicality, not in terms of defensive ability, not in terms of positioning. So I don't see why Reichel comes out of lineup that probably needs RH shots. If anything I'd be giving Reichel some PK reps, because his skating is big league.

Harkins scored a big goal in Vegas, and was setting up chances with a tenacious forecheck.

If I am reading the lineup though, maybe Perfetti is a placeholder for Stastny, who protects Dubois on the draw. And Harkins goes back to Lowry's line, in Suess's place, with Reichel. That's a WHL checking line, with a lot of speed on the wings.

Putting Copp up with Scheifele, allows Copp to play more centre, and Scheifele to play more wing, which might prevent goals in our net.

This isn't a championship team, it's not even a playoff team at this point. Can Perfetti add offense? He hasn't yet, and with our prospects I think a lot of the hope is just that, hope, even when the results aren't there.

It wasn't long ago Vesalainen was a slam dunk 2nd liner on these boards, and now he is barely a 4th liner. Gustafsson is a guaranteed 3rd liner, but he hasn't even been better than Toninato as a 4th liner in a short stint.

Perfetti has a higher ceiling, but I don't think he is quite ready. PP is the one place where I think he could help, but that would take Lowry benching his son, unless Stastny is out.

You are putting way too much weight into such small samples. Perfetti was skating circles around Reichiel in the AHL this year.

I'm willing to be patient with the kid.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You are putting way too much weight into such small samples. Perfetti was skating circles around Reichiel in the AHL this year.

I'm willing to be patient with the kid.

Small samples is also called results. The ceiling for Perfetti is high, but no one would put Perfetti on a checking line now, because his game isn't suited for it. Reichel looks like he belongs on the bottom lines in the NHL. If Perfetti belongs in the top 6, he should get his chance to prove it on this road trip.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013

You make some good points. And if I may add to this of yours: "This isn't a championship team, it's not even a playoff team at this point." especially if Lowry is on the PP. (It's a head-scratcher to me that he gets any PP time at all.)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You make some good points. And if I may add to this of yours: "This isn't a championship team, it's not even a playoff team at this point." especially if Lowry is on the PP. (It's a head-scratcher to me that he gets any PP time at all.)
Again i'll say it's time to try Scheifele, Connor, Dubois , Ehlers and Pionk on the #1 PP . The #1 PP usually gets more PP time so i'd like to try our best offensive players out there all together. If it doesn't work at least we can say we tried and move around guys after.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

The funny thing to me is that our fans can't even see that the problem is that both the top 2 centres are now -s. That's the guys that are supposed to win matchups, that aren't. Lowry is still a plus 5 on 5, marginally. Yet the scapegoat in our losses is him for lack of secondary scoring instead of primary defense. The special teams is the icing on the cake. I do think that Perfetti could make a difference, as I would like to see Stastny in front of the net on the 2nd unit, but that's not the Jets biggest problem.

Having two top centres that struggle on the draw, and struggle in d-zone coverage is. Also Stanley on that 1st PK unit is a problem, and after the Avalanche game the Jets have 4 players left averaging under 10 g/60 or broken down, able to kill off 3 penalties in a row, those are Stastny, Connor, Beaulieu and Morrissey.

That's to me the signs of a non playoff team. And promoting Cole Perfetti because he had AHL success, is not the answer to all our problems. This team in my opinion is built wrong, and still not accountable. God help us if Stastny is out for any length, because he's been the one consistent positive to me, whichever line he is on plays well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad