Pre-Game Talk: Winnipeg Jets @ the Detroit Red Wings Jan 13th maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Restrictions now in place here until February 1st .:banghead: They are going to have a hell of a time trying to make up these games. :dunno:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Restrictions now in place here until February 1st .:banghead: They are going to have a hell of a time trying to make up these games. :dunno:

Yup, they will likely have to have a few games in an empty arena at this point.

I don't agree with extending the restrictions but we will just have to live with them.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
February is largely void of games because of the Olympic break. Only 4 road games scheduled. We currently have 9 games to make up but the postponements have to stop now, even if it means empty arenas.

It’s obviously a moving target (that might be intoxicated) but this season will be another year of compromised HRR for Canadian teams. Lots of home games jammed into Feb March April. Who knows what the capacity story will be.

Feels like a Monty Python Cheese shop skit.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
It does sound like they are looking to play in empty arenas. The following is part of a message I just received for my game on Jan 25. It seems to indicate refunds might be coming.

"In light of the Province’s extension of the public health order limiting large gatherings, attendance restrictions will remain in place at Canada Life Centre until at least Feb. 1, 2022. You will receive a message in the coming days with an account update and options for any tickets you have for the Jan. 25 and 27 Winnipeg Jets game(s)."

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
So Cole is with Dubois and Conner. To me that is a clear indication he's going to get a top 6 opportunity next game.

Copp looks to be the place holder for Paul on line 1.

I know you've been banging about the need to put talented players in positions to succeed and I agree with that. But it's possible we've been a little burned by years of PoMo's overly-hierarchical and role-oriented approach.

I think there can be a lot of value to slotting "talented" players into a grinder line or low minute 4th, just to send the message that you do have to work your ass off and earn it, and you're not getting anything handed to you just because you were drafted high. Don't forget these are 18-20 year olds and you need to get this right from a psychological perspective too.

As long as it's not an extended "this is where you play now and guys above you have more seniority", and risks actually are taken and ultimately young guys are put into positions to succeed, I have no problem with a bit of tough love.

I also really like how coach Lowry doesn't seem opposed to giving guys like Vesa and Harkins a shot up the line-up to see how better linemates affect their performance.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So Cole is with Dubois and Conner. To me that is a clear indication he's going to get a top 6 opportunity next game.

Copp looks to be the place holder for Paul on line 1.

Maybe Copp will be on line 1 and Cole is the place holder for Stastny.

Nov 24, 2006
I know you've been banging about the need to put talented players in positions to succeed and I agree with that. But it's possible we've been a little burned by years of PoMo's overly-hierarchical and role-oriented approach.

I think there can be a lot of value to slotting "talented" players into a grinder line or low minute 4th, just to send the message that you do have to work your ass off and earn it, and you're not getting anything handed to you just because you were drafted high. Don't forget these are 18-20 year olds and you need to get this right from a psychological perspective too.

As long as it's not an extended "this is where you play now and guys above you have more seniority", and risks actually are taken and ultimately young guys are put into positions to succeed, I have no problem with a bit of tough love.

I also really like how coach Lowry doesn't seem opposed to giving guys like Vesa and Harkins a shot up the line-up to see how better linemates affect their performance.
I think every player in the NHL has worked their ass off to be where they are. I just want coaches putting the right guys in the right spots so that they can succeed and the team does too.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I could see the tough love approach being applicable if the kid in question wasn't bringing it everyday or had work ethic issues.

I think it worked when we sent Conner down after camp in 2017 and it hammered home he needed to work every day.

Interesting enough the one player that maybe needed more of that tough luck approach was Laine.

With regards to Cole I see no indication that he's not putting in the work. As a result I don't really see a need to send a message.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I think every player in the NHL has worked their ass off to be where they are. I just want coaches putting the right guys in the right spots so that they can succeed and the team does too.

Ultimately, yes. But I also think the players' psychology is something you have to consider and balance, and even though all players have undoubtedly worked hard, some are also harder workers than others. For all we know Svechnikov has been busting his ass to take it to the next level and putting "the new kid" on the fourth or third line for a game is a show of respect to others' hard work.

IMO Maurice took this approach way too far, to the point where he was afraid of upsetting his seniority apple cart. But I just don't think it's hurting anyone to see a rookie on a lower line for a game or two to try to keep a fire lit under his ass.

I could see the tough love approach being applicable if the kid in question wasn't bringing it everyday or had work ethic issues.

I think it worked when we sent Conner down after camp in 2017 and it hammered home he needed to work every day.

Interesting enough the one player that maybe needed more of that tough luck approach was Laine.

With regards to Cole I see no indication that he's not putting in the work. As a result I don't really see a need to send a message.

I don't think it's about there being a "work ethic problem" you need to try to address. I think it can just be a reinforcement of a culture of hard work and discipline, and a show of respect to other guys who've earned it. Again, I'm not talking about spending the season on the 4th line, but a game or two I can see the rationale, personally.

And yeah, interesting comment on Laine. I do sometimes wonder if he needed some tougher intervention earlier.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It’s obviously a moving target (that might be intoxicated) but this season will be another year of compromised HRR for Canadian teams. Lots of home games jammed into Feb March April. Who knows what the capacity story will be.

Feels like a Monty Python Cheese shop skit.

As it stands today, I would not attend a game, even with reduced capacity. Triple vaxxed.
But judging from the way things are going, I think that might change pretty quickly.
The information we are being given is very poor, at best. The guidance is contradictory and confused. So I am doing the best I can to aggregate what's available and to read between the lines. I still see hints at reasons for optimism, like the quick rise and fall of Omicron in South Africa, among others.

I still keep one eye on new cases, but those numbers are less meaningful than they used to be - and it turns out they were never as meaningful as they should have been. But I am mainly following hospital/ICU admissions and deaths, in Manitoba and around the world.

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020

Given the paucity of games originally scheduled in Februry, I don't think it will be that difficult to slot in the postponed games. There may be more inefficient travelling and back-to-backs than previously, but the season can still be completed before May..... IF

... IF the restrictions are lifted or amerliorated by February. Given how many brain-dead Manitobans are still refusing to vaccinate and/or are not protecting others by covering their faces, I'm not sure we'll see these things lifted. Judging by some of the morons I saw in my grocery store this morning, we may unnecessarily prolong our recovery right until the end of winter. I can't believe some people; I was so upset this morning I almost launched myself at one idiot to wrestle his chin warmer back up over his ignorant pie hole. I may look skinny but I'm big enough to do it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ultimately, yes. But I also think the players' psychology is something you have to consider and balance, and even though all players have undoubtedly worked hard, some are also harder workers than others. For all we know Svechnikov has been busting his ass to take it to the next level and putting "the new kid" on the fourth or third line for a game is a show of respect to others' hard work.

IMO Maurice took this approach way too far, to the point where he was afraid of upsetting his seniority apple cart. But I just don't think it's hurting anyone to see a rookie on a lower line for a game or two to try to keep a fire lit under his ass.

I don't think it's about there being a "work ethic problem" you need to try to address. I think it can just be a reinforcement of a culture of hard work and discipline, and a show of respect to other guys who've earned it. Again, I'm not talking about spending the season on the 4th line, but a game or two I can see the rationale, personally.

And yeah, interesting comment on Laine. I do sometimes wonder if he needed some tougher intervention earlier.

I think we should be following best practice when integrating kids. Look at the top teams and how they do it and emulate it.

I guess I have a hard time with the concept of earning it in professional sports. What does that even mean? Every player has different strengths and weaknesses and this plays differently.

I mean I imagine a tonne of players looked visibly busier on the ice then Lidstrom but Nik didn't need to look busy to be among the best at his position.

If a kid has played well enough at a lower level to earn an NHL opportunity then they should be used in a role they have been groomed for.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

A little of that "tough love" is OK. But I mean very little. If it is leave them there until they learn how to grind and check, eff that. A game or 2, maybe 3, just to see how the other half lives, OK.

If we had a more talented 3rd line that was expected to score, we would have a suitable place to use to ease them in. As it has been it was either top 6 or a choice between shutdown or energy/PK. Neither of which is very good for top 6 candidates who play a high skill game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad