Confirmed with Link: Winnipeg Jets Qualifying Offers

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The way he’s talked about around here you would think he put up a lot more than 19 points last season.

I like Svech and would have like to have kept him for depth but he got horribly overrated last season.

He is a cheap complimentary piece that can fill in for injuries in the top 6 and could likely play on a second pp unit. He is no star but does offer some depth utility that would have been worth while to keep around. Not all depth pieces need to be defensive PK guys.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Svechnikov played half his toi with Dubois and Connor and put up 19 points….
The line was really good and outplaying opposition while he was on it, so it frees up talent to go elsewhere IMO. I didn't like Svech because he was some game breaker, but because he came out of nowhere to help create a functional line. More than can be said for a lot of our guys last year who got buried.

People did rave about Svech, but they raved about his usefulness, that's all. I don't think that means he's overrated.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
He is a cheap complimentary piece that can fill in for injuries in the top 6 and could likely play on a second pp unit. He is no star but does offer some depth utility that would have been worth while to keep around. Not all depth pieces need to be defensive PK guys.
What bothers me is that he is the type of player that a team in our market needs to capitalize on and keep around on cheap contracts to stay competitive. It's not easy to sign UFAs in our market nor is it efficient. Svech offered an alternative vision to signing the Letestu, Hendricks, Thompson types.

I feel like we've seen the Jets sign a few players this way, although I can't recall which.

But yeah, Svetch was a good pickup, and we don't really have the depth to lose him.
Joe Morrow I believe was not qualified and then signed to a cheaper contract. Hopefully that's what happens here.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I guess maybe we should start a Svech thread, but what did people see as the roster for next year?

I'm assuming we have a couple trades that happen but if we don't add any UFAs and don't trade anyone here is what mine looked like:

1657564530288.png

So even if Wheeler gets traded I assume that we get a top 6 winger from somewhere else and Svech is looking to fight it out for 4th line minutes. We brought him in to make PLD happy and I thought outside of the selfish penalites he played well for us but if PLD isn't going to stay here, no need to do his buddies favours when we could inject a lot more speed with Reichel.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I am hoping someone smarter than I am can explain how FA will run with respect to cap room. These QO's are projections into available cap, correct? Even though they are just offers and not yet contracts, Is the remainder of the money after projected QO's used as a reference for cap room during free agency?

Does what I said even make sense? Sorry.....lack of sleep this last week!

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Like I said I would like to keep Svech around for depth but I’m not going to lose any sleep over him not being on the Jets next season.

He’s going to be 26 next year and has a career high of 19 points, at that age I can’t see him getting much better than what he is now.

If Svech wasn’t the shiny new toy last year or was 28 years old and was given top six minutes and PP2 time people would not be happy about it and he would be talked about like any other of the “Gud vets”

None

Feb 22, 2012
Just wait til you see who Chevy signs to replace him. Looking at Natural Stat Trick and sorting Forwards last year by xGF, I predict Greg McKegg.

John Hayden's 3" taller, went to an Ivy League School, has that Chicago connection, and we'd be doing Dubois' agent a favour. All things that Chevy loves.

Oh, and his xGF% isn't much better than McKegg's :laugh: Can't possibly have an effective bottom 6, can we?

Reactions: Gm0ney

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Mildly surprised that Svetch didn’t get a QO.
He provided good value on a minimum contract.

John Hayden's 3" taller, went to an Ivy League School, has that Chicago connection, and we'd be doing Dubois' agent a favour. All things that Chevy loves.

Oh, and his xGF% isn't much better than McKegg's :laugh: Can't possibly have an effective bottom 6, can we?
History says no.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Really surprised at all the love for “Svech”. He was merely a meh player. Maybe Chevy has some free agent targets, or maybe they want to offer him less money. I’m okay with that.
I don’t disagree but “meh” is a lot better than we had in our bottom 6 last year.

I’m with those that think the Jets dont lIke him for off ice reasons. It was either with PLD/Connor or nothing. Two extremes.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
What bothers me is that he is the type of player that a team in our market needs to capitalize on and keep around on cheap contracts to stay competitive. It's not easy to sign UFAs in our market nor is it efficient. Svech offered an alternative vision to signing the Letestu, Hendricks, Thompson types.

Joe Morrow I believe was not qualified and then signed to a cheaper contract. Hopefully that's what happens here.

That's it. Jumpin' Joe Morrow. And he wasn't worth the cheaper contract he did sign.

Svetch wasn't great but he was found money, for a team that hasn't unearthed much in the way of FA gems beyond the great departed 4th Line Jesus.

As with the Eric Comrie weirdness -- could we really not have played our winning-er goalie for 3 more games to secure his RFA status? -- this move kinda smacks of the Jets playing chess against themselves.

Anyhoo. Maybe they've got better things coming down the pipe.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It's really weird. He has enough skill to play in the top six and not look out of place, or he was down on the 3rd and 4th lines because PMo or Lowry wanted straight line Harkins there. Not even a QO, yet Harkins gets kept despite worse results. I have to wonder if this was a bilateral decision between the two parties to let him go to free agency. There's no secret that the last year was hard on a number of people.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I guess maybe we should start a Svech thread, but what did people see as the roster for next year?

I'm assuming we have a couple trades that happen but if we don't add any UFAs and don't trade anyone here is what mine looked like:

View attachment 567355

So even if Wheeler gets traded I assume that we get a top 6 winger from somewhere else and Svech is looking to fight it out for 4th line minutes. We brought him in to make PLD happy and I thought outside of the selfish penalites he played well for us but if PLD isn't going to stay here, no need to do his buddies favours when we could inject a lot more speed with Reichel.
I think Svetchnikov gets replaced by a special teams player. If you lose Stastny you need a special teams player at both ends of the rink. I predict the Jets sign a RH C/RW maybe better than Riley Nash, hopefully more impactful. I think there should be some competition between Toninato, Barron and Reichel, all who could probably pass through waivers, for roster spots out of TC. I wouldn't discount Reichel if the Jets want to play faster. It really depends on his success as a special teams player though.

I wouldn't mind if Perreault came back for the league minimum, he's at the end of his career, but it would be nice to see him go out a Jet.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's it. Jumpin' Joe Morrow. And he wasn't worth the cheaper contract he did sign.

Svetch wasn't great but he was found money, for a team that hasn't unearthed much in the way of FA gems beyond the great departed 4th Line Jesus.

As with the Eric Comrie weirdness -- could we really not have played our winning-er goalie for 3 more games to secure his RFA status? -- this move kinda smacks of the Jets playing chess against themselves.

Anyhoo. Maybe they've got better things coming down the pipe.

Agreed, a number of things were mismanaged last year. Comrie being the biggest one.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Maybe Svetch agreed to sign for less but that's only worth the paper it's not written on and now he's free.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013

View attachment 567355

This depth chart kind of emphasizes to me the importance of a guy like Svech that looked mostly serviceable in top 6 minutes. We are a Blake Wheeler trade away from Mason Appleton or Morgan Barron in our top 6 on opening night. Our forward depth is pretty underwhelming when you remove Copp, Stastny and Svech, and even worse when you remove Wheeler.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
This depth chart kind of emphasizes to me the importance of a guy like Svech that looked mostly serviceable in top 6 minutes. We are a Blake Wheeler trade away from Mason Appleton or Morgan Barron in our top 6 on opening night. Our forward depth is pretty underwhelming when you remove Copp, Stastny and Svech, and even worse when you remove Wheeler.
I think the jets would use the cap space to sign players

Reactions: Mathil8

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
I think the jets would use the cap space to sign players
Of course. We won't be able to truly judge this move until we see who replaces Svech (maybe it's even Svech at a lower cap hit) but right now I don't love the optics. And what top 6er (or any player for that matter) have we ever signed to a reasonable contract as an UFA? Perreault is the only one I can think of. Maybe Chevy thinks he has some trades lined up that will address our depth, but right now it looks like another addition to a growing list of puzzling asset management.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The plan seems to make some roster changes, and Svech out isn't much of a loss. Maybe Chevy is moving out players they don't want in the room? Anyways I'm hoping we give some of the kids a bigger role this year. Cole a regular in the top 6, Gus will be an every day player now that his ELC has ended. I wonder if they give Chaz some games now that he has signed. Wheeler out and a couple younger players in and I see a new dynamic taking place.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
The plan seems to make some roster changes, and Svech out isn't much of a loss. Maybe Chevy is moving out players they don't want in the room? Anyways I'm hoping we give some of the kids a bigger role this year. Cole a regular in the top 6, Gus will be an every day player now that his ELC has ended. I wonder if they give Chaz some games now that he has signed. Wheeler out and a couple younger players in and I see a new dynamic taking place.
That's my thought. I caught svech playing tummy sticks and giggling with his opponents multiple times last year. Guessing not the attitude we want

Reactions: KingBogo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad