Confirmed with Link: Winnipeg Jets Qualifying Offers

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Of course. We won't be able to truly judge this move until we see who replaces Svech (maybe it's even Svech at a lower cap hit) but right now I don't love the optics. And what top 6er (or any player for that matter) have we ever signed to a reasonable contract as an UFA? Perreault is the only one I can think of. Maybe Chevy thinks he has some trades lined up that will address our depth, but right now it looks like another addition to a growing list of puzzling asset management.
there are a lot of ufa's this year and even less money to go around, if there ever was a year to land somebody it would be this one. I don't think the move to not qualify svech was puzzling at all, he has arb rights, he takes us to arbitration and gets a reward worth more then we want to pay him then we have to walk away and at the point it will be late july/early august and we will need to find a replacement then, this way we can still try to sign him with out him going to arb or we can look for a replacement in free agency where there seems to be plenty of options available

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
It's really weird. He has enough skill to play in the top six and not look out of place, or he was down on the 3rd and 4th lines because PMo or Lowry wanted straight line Harkins there. Not even a QO, yet Harkins gets kept despite worse results. I have to wonder if this was a bilateral decision between the two parties to let him go to free agency. There's no secret that the last year was hard on a number of people.
Harkins ability to move his feet faster make him a player dumb coached love.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Of course. We won't be able to truly judge this move until we see who replaces Svech (maybe it's even Svech at a lower cap hit) but right now I don't love the optics. And what top 6er (or any player for that matter) have we ever signed to a reasonable contract as an UFA? Perreault is the only one I can think of. Maybe Chevy thinks he has some trades lined up that will address our depth, but right now it looks like another addition to a growing list of puzzling asset management.

Svech is a dime a dozen player. We aren't losing anything by not qualifying him and we gain more cap space to try and go after a bigger fish. Even if we don't circle back on Svech, he isn't that big of a loss to get upset over.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Harkins ability to move his feet faster make him a player dumb coached love.
A good skater is an asset. I think of the game vs. Buffalo I think where Maurice threw him on a line with Scheifele and Wheeler and he generated a goal. Same thing on a couple of occasions with Dubois and Connor. Thing is I think Harkins could play on a checking line with Lowry as well, and we didn't see much out of Svetchnikov in that resepct. So in terms of versatility I'd say Harkins, who is also decent on the draw, has more of an advantage as a roster player.

Good chance he and Toninato are in a battle for the 4LW vs. 13th forward battle.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
between svech and harkins. id rather svech. i think he just adds a bit more than harkins. neither are real gamebreakers & should be easily replaceable. connor-pld-svech was our most productive line this year in GF (4th in gf/60 though min 100 mins). going from PTO to not looking out of place in a top-6 role w/ 2 quality NHL players in connor and pld is a pretty solid return. truthfully you could've put anyone with those 2 and that line probably would have still been productive. also, wonder if this has any impact on PLD staying? probably nothing significant.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
A good skater is an asset. I think of the game vs. Buffalo I think where Maurice threw him on a line with Scheifele and Wheeler and he generated a goal. Same thing on a couple of occasions with Dubois and Connor. Thing is I think Harkins could play on a checking line with Lowry as well, and we didn't see much out of Svetchnikov in that resepct. So in terms of versatility I'd say Harkins, who is also decent on the draw, has more of an advantage as a roster player.

Good chance he and Toninato are in a battle for the 4LW vs. 13th forward battle
Speed was definitely not in Svechnikov’s tool box but he was effective.
If they go top6/bottom 6 thing again it’s going to be rinse repeat and miss the playoffs again. I guess we shall see what they do in the coming weeks.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I think we, as fans, have become conditioned to Paul Maurice's roster and how it is formed and who gets to get on it. This is a new bench boss group with a different structure and perhaps a guy like Svech simply doesn't fit. if this is the case maybe it is not a bad thing because one of the bigger criticisms for Maurice was that he did not slot in young players enough and relied on numerous washed up (or in the processes of washing up)vets. So maybe this is about opening doors for Gus, Barron, Ves, Perfetti (full time now), and maybe another rookie (Lucius or any other young player).

Or maybe it is about a combo of having young players added as well as having a a legit bottom six with some decent FA's. Maybe Svech did not fit the plan. Who knows.

Or they end up signing some vet like Dzingal or Acciari that blocks a young player.

If Svechnikov is gone, I hope he ends up on a cheap deal in Colorado and has a career year!!!!!

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I guess maybe we should start a Svech thread, but what did people see as the roster for next year?

I'm assuming we have a couple trades that happen but if we don't add any UFAs and don't trade anyone here is what mine looked like:

View attachment 567355

So even if Wheeler gets traded I assume that we get a top 6 winger from somewhere else and Svech is looking to fight it out for 4th line minutes. We brought him in to make PLD happy and I thought outside of the selfish penalites he played well for us but if PLD isn't going to stay here, no need to do his buddies favours when we could inject a lot more speed with Reichel.
Svechnikov had been an interest of the Jets dating back to his draft year. They had even interviewed him. The fact that he was a former line mate of Dubois’ is just a coincidence. And just because Dubois won’t sign here long term it doesn’t mean you need to sever ties with Svechnikov.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
between svech and harkins. id rather svech. i think he just adds a bit more than harkins. neither are real gamebreakers & should be easily replaceable. connor-pld-svech was our most productive line this year in GF (4th in gf/60 though min 100 mins). going from PTO to not looking out of place in a top-6 role w/ 2 quality NHL players in connor and pld is a pretty solid return. truthfully you could've put anyone with those 2 and that line probably would have still been productive. also, wonder if this has any impact on PLD staying? probably nothing significant.
The way Svetchnikov finished the season probably had an impact. Now you are looking at a guy who can play on a line with Dubois, but he's not your first choice, Perfetti would be. What does he do for the lineup beyond that. Personally if we are not signing Svetchnikov, I'd rather have Derek Stepan for maybe $500 000 more. Had a terrific year on the PK in Carolina, can win draws, has played for one of our coaches, in Arniel. Also might have some offense that is untapped. He was a 50 point player not so long ago.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
On the Avalanche I bet he gets 35
The Avs aren't going to pick up Svech. They would have absolutely no need or want for him. He is a fringe NHLer put in an almost ideal role and he couldn't score 20 points. He is only one season removed from not being qualified by the bottom feeder Wings. Now he is not qualified by another non playoff team. The Avs pick up bottom 6 players that move the needle, not play with the intensity of the fat kid in gym class.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Avs aren't going to pick up Svech. They would have absolutely no need or want for him. He is a fringe NHLer put in an almost ideal role and he couldn't score 20 points. He is only one season removed from not being qualified by the bottom feeder Wings. Now he is not qualified by another non playoff team. The Avs pick up bottom 6 players that move the needle, not play with the intensity of the fat kid in gym class.

I feel attacked.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wow, I thought they'd qualify Svech.
Maybe still working out a deal at a reduced rate?

He was at 750K last year. You can't get any lower.

They are just letting him go. :thumbd:

I don't disagree it's a head scratcher. This org is to set on certain types for certain roles and I doubt that changed much for our third and fourth lines with our new coach.

What 'type' is he not?

This is s**t.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I feel attacked.

And that large, lonely, unkempt boy from gym class picked up a broken stick and an old threadbare ball one lunchtime, and only a few years later strolled onto the home plate with a twirl of that old piece of wood, and the crowd roared to welcome —

HALL OF FAMER MICKEY MANTLE!!!

… or HFBoards star poster and draft monkey @Daxiumus!!!

….and now you know the rest of the story…

Liked Svetch fine, do not want to see another clapped out gud-in-the-room Hendricks type pickup, but a quality forechecker and scorer would be welcome.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
there are a lot of ufa's this year and even less money to go around, if there ever was a year to land somebody it would be this one. I don't think the move to not qualify svech was puzzling at all, he has arb rights, he takes us to arbitration and gets a reward worth more then we want to pay him then we have to walk away and at the point it will be late july/early august and we will need to find a replacement then, this way we can still try to sign him with out him going to arb or we can look for a replacement in free agency where there seems to be plenty of options available

Svech is a dime a dozen player. We aren't losing anything by not qualifying him and we gain more cap space to try and go after a bigger fish. Even if we don't circle back on Svech, he isn't that big of a loss to get upset over.
I said above that losing Svech is only a mild disappointment. I'm not concerned specifically about him, but of the totality of moves the Jets have made over the last several years and how that has diminished our forward depth. The return on Copp was fantastic and hopefully we look back in 3 years and have a couple roster players from it, but other than that we have lost a chunk of depth and have not replaced it via the draft or free agency.

For context, and this is what makes Svech more valuable in my eyes to the Jets (a bird in hand is worth two in the bush), the below is a list of our last 3 years worth of UFA forward signings. Yes, many of these are Moose signings, but it's still a very underwhelming list. I'm not sure why we would expect this trend to change much this year, even if there are more quality UFAs and less cap space available for most teams (which is a good point).

Austin Poganski
Riley Nash
Michael Eyssimont
Luke Johnson
Cole Kehler
Trevor Lewis
Marko Dano
Dominic Toninato
Nate Thompson
Gabriel Bourque
Mark Letestu
Tye McGinn

Aavco had a great tweet today showing that Svech was 5th in xGAR among the 13 best known RFAs that weren't qualified. Of course not a world beater but still value lost for nothing on a team that doesn't have a ton of value to spare, nor a proven history of adding value via free agency.

Okay... that's it from me on this subject. Good discussion!

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

How did Connor PLD Harkins do as a line?

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
And that large, lonely, unkempt boy from gym class picked up a broken stick and an old threadbare ball one lunchtime, and only a few years later strolled onto the home plate with a twirl of that old piece of wood, and the crowd roared to welcome —

Liked Svetch fine, do not want to see another clapped out gud-in-the-room Hendricks type pickup, but a quality forechecker and scorer would be welcome.
Crazy that Svech the top six caliber player managed just 5 more points than the comically bad Hendrinks in their Jets careers.

Svech also played more games and half his time was spent with significantly better line mates.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I'm only kidding of course! I was like 165 lbs soaking wet in high school. But one could say I always had the intensity of a fat kid.

I said above that losing Svech is only a mild disappointment. I'm not concerned specifically about him, but of the totality of moves the Jets have made over the last several years and how that has diminished our forward depth. The return on Copp was fantastic and hopefully we look back in 3 years and have a couple roster players from it, but other than that we have lost a chunk of depth and have not replaced it via the draft or free agency.

For context, and this is what makes Svech more valuable in my eyes to the Jets (a bird in hand is worth two in the bush), the below is a list of our last 3 years worth of UFA forward signings. Yes, many of these are Moose signings, but it's still a very underwhelming list. I'm not sure why we would expect this trend to change much this year, even if there are more quality UFAs and less cap space available for most teams (which is a good point).

Austin Poganski
Riley Nash
Michael Eyssimont
Luke Johnson
Cole Kehler
Trevor Lewis
Marko Dano
Dominic Toninato
Nate Thompson
Gabriel Bourque
Mark Letestu
Tye McGinn

Aavco had a great tweet today showing that Svech was 5th in xGAR among the 13 best known RFAs that weren't qualified. Of course not a world beater but still value lost for nothing on a team that doesn't have a ton of value to spare, nor a proven history of adding value via free agency.

Okay... that's it from me on this subject. Good discussion!

I think with the crop of young but not overly impactful yet UFA's hitting the market the Jets can probably snag a few guys who, if given a shot, could provide more than Svech does. It's no guarantee Chevy goes knocking on those doors but I do hope he tries as I think there could be some diamonds in that pile of coal.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Crazy that Svech the top six caliber player managed just 5 more points than the comically bad Hendrinks in their Jets careers.

Svech also played more games and half his time was spent with significantly better line mates.
OTOH, the Jets didn't give up anything for Svetch, and he also didn't fail to galvanize the room into Cup contention on either his first or second go-round.

Svetch is not a hill I particularly wish to die on, but the Jets' record of bringing in depth to support their scoring has been less than inspiring over the years, so a freebie who contributed something, anything, seems like he'd be worth keeping around at minimal cost.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
How did Connor PLD Harkins do as a line?
Connor-PLD-Svetch (339:03 TOI): 51.41 CF%, 53.33 GF%, 54.44 xGF%
Connor-PLD-w/o Svetch (521:16 TOI): 51.85 CF%, 52.50 GF%, 53.15 xGF% (+0.44, -0.83, -1.29)

Connor-PLD-Harkins (57:10 TOI): 42.37 CF%. 50.00 GF%, 52.98 xGF% (-9.04, -3.33, -1.46 vs. Svetch)
Connor-PLD-w/o Harkins (803:07): 52.39 CF%, 53.03 GF%, 53.71 xGF% (+10.02, +3.03, -0.05)

Svetch had the most TOI with Connor and PLD of all the forwards. Except for a slight 0.44% better CF% without Svetch, the line was better with him. Wheeler and Perfetti both saw over 100 minutes TOI with Connor and PLD. Ehlers spent 86 minutes with those two. Harkins was their 5th most common linemate.

Svetch, Wheeler, Perfetti, and Ehlers all put up better CF and xGF than Harkins on that line. Only Wheeler's actual GF% was worse (1-4 = 20% in 145 minutes), but goals are fluky and their xGF% was a solid 54.96.

(All numbers 5v5)

OTOH, the Jets didn't give up anything for Svetch, and he also didn't fail to galvanize the room into Cup contention on either his first or second go-round.

Svetch is not a hill I particularly wish to die on, but the Jets' record of bringing in depth to support their scoring has been less than inspiring over the years, so a freebie who contributed something, anything, seems like he'd be worth keeping around at minimal cost.
After 11 seasons of watching this franchise fill its bottom 6 with the dregs of the league, it's frustrating to watch them toss aside a rare effective player that they managed to blind-squirrel onto the team.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Must have been all the cilantro. :nod:

images-1.fit_lim.size_2000x.v1618547612.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad