Confirmed with Link: Winnipeg Jets Qualifying Offers

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Svechnikov played half his toi with Dubois and Connor and put up 19 points….

Not all points are created equal. Svechnikov never played a second on the PP & got all of his 19 points at even strength, scoring 1.49 P/60. Dubois by comparison scored at 1.66 P/60.

I won't be surprised at all if Svechnikov is resigned. Not getting a qualifying offer seems to be on par with what GM's do with middling RFA's that have arbitration rights. By all accounts Svech is content in Winnipeg.

His effort was certainly there last season & one of the few Jets that showed a passion to play hard. Albeit his temperament got the better of him a time or two, but he was one of the few forwards that showed a willingness to battle for the puck. Despite his 10:45 of average ice time, he was 3rd amongst forwards in hits, tripling that of other forwards who received twice as much ice time.

By your own reasoning he did so playing half his TOI without Dubois & Conner...

The willingness to do the small things necessary to win are there. If others had his compete level, this team might have had far more success last year.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
OTOH, the Jets didn't give up anything for Svetch, and he also didn't fail to galvanize the room into Cup contention on either his first or second go-round.

Svetch is not a hill I particularly wish to die on, but the Jets' record of bringing in depth to support their scoring has been less than inspiring over the years, so a freebie who contributed something, anything, seems like he'd be worth keeping around at minimal cost.
He replaced Perreault who put up 19 points in 56 games in 2021. Albeit some of those were power play points, but Perreault was much more versatile to a lineup, able to play on the 2nd and 3rd lines, and a + player. These kind of players are dime a dozen. If Dubois is getting traded there is 0 need for Svetchnikov. I hope the organization's game plan is to improve their speed on the wings, if some of these slower and older guys are moving out.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Not all points are created equal. Svechnikov never played a second on the PP & got all of his 19 points at even strength, scoring 1.49 P/60. Dubois by comparison scored at 1.66 P/60.

I won't be surprised at all if Svechnikov is resigned. Not getting a qualifying offer seems to be on par with what GM's do with middling RFA's that have arbitration rights. By all accounts Svech is content in Winnipeg.

His effort was certainly there last season & one of the few Jets that showed a passion to play hard. Albeit his temperament got the better of him a time or two, but he was one of the few forwards that showed a willingness to battle for the puck. Despite his 10:45 of average ice time, he was 3rd amongst forwards in hits, tripling that of other forwards who received twice as much ice time.

By your own reasoning he did so playing half his TOI without Dubois & Conner...

The willingness to do the small things necessary to win are there. If others had his compete level, this team might have had far more success last year.
Matt Hendricks put up 1.78P/60 with no PP time and no time with PLD and Connor.

• Wow
Reactions: macmaroon

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Svech was amazing value for his contract. Hopefully he's back. No one, including Lowry, especially Lowry, was scoring in the bottom 6. Lowry was better on the PK than 5v5. Hopefully Bowness can bring a bit more out of it.

Not exactly at a point in the franchise where we can be tossing productive forwards in the bin like we have the depth of the 17-18 Jets with Matt Hendricks scoring alongside Joel Armia, Mathieu Perreault, and Andrew Copp.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

On a far, far stronger team with bottom 6 depth that the current Jets can only dream of.

The point is not that Svetch is some team saviour, only that he was a value contract who was actually capable of contributing scoring and some occasional snarl and that this team cannot afford to mismanage the few free assets that they manage to find.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
You don't need to add the qualifier of no PP time when quoting P/60. It's a 5x5 stat.

It would also be difficult for Henricks to have played with PLD in 2017-2018.

I'll acknowledge the 1.78/60 & add he did so playing between Armia & Perreault.

What is the point you're making? My response simply pointed out that Svech played well enough that I expect Chevy to re-sign him, perhaps even over the course of today.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
On a far, far stronger team with bottom 6 depth that the current Jets can only dream of.

The point is not that Svetch is some team saviour, only that he was a value contract who was actually capable of contributing scoring and some occasional snarl and that this team cannot afford to mismanage the few free assets that they manage to find.
The facts that Hendricks is laughed at here for being horrible yet a Svech is praised for not being horrible just doesn’t add up.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
The facts that Hendricks is laughed at here for being horrible yet a Svech is praised for not being horrible just doesn’t add up.

I think you're really flattering your position here by failing to consider any context. As I recall the Hendricks move was disliked because we paid to acquire him, and then the fact that he actually did decently was a welcome surprise. Also... he played with Perreault, who typically carried most people he played with to respectability, he played on the 4th line, so his competition was lower, and our team was much stronger at the time, so the opportunity cost of playing Hendricks was much higher.

Svech was free so he was all gravy, he did well on a line that was scoring well (so who cares about his individual point totals anyway? Connor was scoring tons of goals, and there's only one puck) and most of our team was terri-bad last year so an above average inclusion was definitely a bright spot.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Svech looked like he found himself in the dog house a lot last season and maybe some of that wasn't just due to his on ice play?

Maybe when he decided to come here the promised they wouldn't qualify him if he didn't want them to once he gave it a try?

IDK but it's a bad look for him to be non tendered by 2 different NHL teams. I wouldn't want the Jets to take a chance on a guy like that if there were those red flags coming from other orgs.

I was hoping that we'd trade him away, but I didn't see him as part of the roster for next year so in my view it isn't a big loss. Cost us nothing to acquire him. We get nothing when he leaves.

EDIT: unless like gojetsgo said this is just to make sure they don't go to arbitration with him...
Probably was a 'Maurice thing" as much as Svech problem. Have seen this in Hogtown before over the years. All is well this year as, Svech is gone, Maurice is gone and Harkins was beat out for3rd or 4th line or 13th forward, so this season is looking up already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad