Confirmed with Link: Winnipeg Jets Qualifying Offers

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Mildly surprised that Svetch didn’t get a QO.

He is a UFA and not subject to a Qualifying Offer.

EDIT: At least according to CapFriendly. Odd that the Jets tweet mentioned the QO for him.

EDIT 2: Apparently the UFA status is due to the lack of Qualifying Offer. I can't read properly, that's my bad.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Wow, I thought they'd qualify Svech.
Maybe still working out a deal at a reduced rate?

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
Headscratcher on Svech with our current roster. Go make some trades or sign some guys Chevy.
Agreed. A little disappointing given Svech is almost certain to provide good value on his next contract. He was also one of Chevy's better acquisitions in the last couple years but was never consistently given a chance with good line mates. I won't belabor it too much but I don't love what this says about how the org assesses talent at the professional level.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Svech looked like he found himself in the dog house a lot last season and maybe some of that wasn't just due to his on ice play?

Maybe when he decided to come here the promised they wouldn't qualify him if he didn't want them to once he gave it a try?

IDK but it's a bad look for him to be non tendered by 2 different NHL teams. I wouldn't want the Jets to take a chance on a guy like that if there were those red flags coming from other orgs.

I was hoping that we'd trade him away, but I didn't see him as part of the roster for next year so in my view it isn't a big loss. Cost us nothing to acquire him. We get nothing when he leaves.

EDIT: unless like gojetsgo said this is just to make sure they don't go to arbitration with him...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
It is, let's be candid, pretty dumb to not QO Svech UNLESS they're just signing him to a new contract at a reduced rate (if that's possible, I'm not sure the details of his current contract). Because otherwise, I'm not sure why you wouldn't QO him. He was among the better players in our non-existent bottom six, not that that's saying much.

Hopefully this isn't a sign that we will be returning to a rigid player-type/role structure for the umpteenth season.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
It is, let's be candid, pretty dumb to not QO Svech UNLESS they're just signing him to a new contract at a reduced rate (if that's possible, I'm not sure the details of his current contract). Because otherwise, I'm not sure why you wouldn't QO him. He was among the better players in our non-existent bottom six, not that that's saying much.

Hopefully this isn't a sign that we will be returning to a rigid player-type/role structure for the umpteenth season.

I feel like we've seen the Jets sign a few players this way, although I can't recall which.

But yeah, Svetch was a good pickup, and we don't really have the depth to lose him.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Just wait til you see who Chevy signs to replace him. Looking at Natural Stat Trick and sorting Forwards last year by xGF, I predict Greg McKegg.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I think we, as fans, have become conditioned to Paul Maurice's roster and how it is formed and who gets to get on it. This is a new bench boss group with a different structure and perhaps a guy like Svech simply doesn't fit. if this is the case maybe it is not a bad thing because one of the bigger criticisms for Maurice was that he did not slot in young players enough and relied on numerous washed up (or in the processes of washing up)vets. So maybe this is about opening doors for Gus, Barron, Ves, Perfetti (full time now), and maybe another rookie (Lucius or any other young player).

Or maybe it is about a combo of having young players added as well as having a a legit bottom six with some decent FA's. Maybe Svech did not fit the plan. Who knows.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Really surprised at all the love for “Svech”. He was merely a meh player. Maybe Chevy has some free agent targets, or maybe they want to offer him less money. I’m okay with that.
The way he’s talked about around here you would think he put up a lot more than 19 points last season.

I like Svech and would have like to have kept him for depth but he got horribly overrated last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad