Winnipeg Jets History

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
What are feelings about honoring Selanne in WPG?
Not very much time in Winnipeg. Having Selanne in the WJHOF should be a given, now whether or not he gets a banner will set a precedent for requirements for future banners.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Not very much time in Winnipeg. Having Selanne in the WJHOF should be a given, now whether or not he gets a banner will set a precedent for requirements for future banners.

Is AB McDonald getting a banner for 2 seasons in Jets uniform? Sjoberg?

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
How about score 70+ goals you get a banner.
Well one example that comes to mind since it's forever attached to Selanne is Alex Mogilny, who scored 76 goals that same year. He spent six years in Buffalo; No banner. Short-term success with a team might not lead to having your name and number on a banner. Time will tell with the Jets.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
What are feelings about honoring Selanne in WPG?

I can see Selanne being honored in Winnipeg. Players that made an impact on the history of Jets hockey in this city should be eligible and Selanne certainly did make an impact. Sure, the number of seasons wasn't all that lengthy (a little under four seasons) but it definitely was longer than the one season + 14 games that Ray Bourque played for Colorado and yet his number hangs from the rafters there.

:jets

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Well one example that comes to mind since it's forever attached to Selanne is Alex Mogilny, who scored 76 goals that same year. He spent six years in Buffalo; No banner. Short-term success with a team might not lead to having your name and number on a banner. Time will tell with the Jets.

Selanne was far better than Mogilny, and played far longer too. He did much better during International tournaments as well. Just comparing the two is an insult to Teemu.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Is AB McDonald getting a banner for 2 seasons in Jets uniform? Sjoberg?

Sjoberg played 6 seasons for Winnipeg, was the first non North American captain in both the WHA & NHL and played a pivotal role in the Jets 3 Avco Cup championships. Banners were raised for Hedberg and Nilsson with each of them playing 4 seasons in Winnipeg, therefore, it's very likely a banner will be raised for Sjoberg as well.

Reactions: Guardian17

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Selanne was far better than Mogilny, and played far longer too. He did much better during International tournaments as well. Just comparing the two is an insult to Teemu.
I don't think you grabbed the context of my comment. That's not what I was saying. I was saying I don't agree that scoring 70+ goals in a season guarantees you a banner in the rafters, and referenced Mogilny as a prime example.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Sjoberg played 6 seasons for Winnipeg, was the first non North American captain in both the WHA & NHL and played a pivotal role in the Jets 3 Avco Cup championships. Banners were raised for Hedberg and Nilsson with each of them playing 4 seasons in Winnipeg, therefore, it's very likely a banner will be raised for Sjoberg as well.

There are no banners going up for the two new inductees.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Updated list 1/11/19:
Highlights for this update:
Wheeler takes sole possession of 3rd all time points
Scheifele breaks into Top 10 in points

Changed min season gp for SV & GAA to 25GP to align to William Jennings award. (Doesn't change current list, open to suggestions on this one. Could affect Brossoit who is on pace to have best SV% and GAA seasons of all time)

Things to watch for:
Aforementioned Brossoit. Wheeler on pace for historic assist season. Wheeler and Scheifele on pace to be first 2.0 jets to crack top 10 seasons in points.

All-Time:
Games Played:
1. Thomas Steen 950
2. Dale Hawerchuck 713
3. Doug Smail 691
4. Blake Wheeler 577
5. Randy Carlyle 564
6. Teppo Numminen 547
7. Ron Wilson 535
8. Paul MacLean 527
9. Laurie Boschman 526
10. Dustin Byfuglien 518

2. Thomas Steen 817
3. Blake Wheeler 533
4. Paul MacLean 518
5. Doug Smail 397
6. Laurie Boschman 379
7. Dustin Byfuglien 361
8. Bryan Little 350

9. Morris Lukowich 345
10. Mark Scheifele 341

Goals:
1. Dale Hawerchuk 379
2. Thomas Steen 264
3. Paul MacLean 248
4. Doug Smail 189
5. Blake Wheeler 172
6. Morris Lukowich 168
7. Laurie Boschman 152
8. Teemu Selanne 147
9. Keith Tkachuk 144
10. Bryan Little 140
T225. Ron Hainsey 0

Assists:
1. Thomas Steen 553
2. Dale Hawerchuk 550
3. Blake Wheeler 361
4. Paul MacLean 270
5. Dustin Byfuglien 259
6. Fredrik Olausson 249
7. Dave Babych 248
8. Laurie Boschman 227
9. Randy Carlyle 226
10. Teppo Numminen 212

Wins:
1. Bob Essensa 116
2. Ondrej Pavelec 111
3. Connor Hellebuyck 102
4. Brian Hayward 63
5. Doug Soetart 50
5. Daniel Berthiaume 50

Shutouts:
1. Bob Essensa 14
2. Connor Hellebuyck 12
2. Ondrej Pavelec 11
4. Daniel Berthiaume 4
5. Michael Hutchinson 3
5. Al Montoya 3

Single Season:
2. Dale Hawerchuk 130 (84-85)
3. Dale Hawerchuk 121 (87-88)
4. Dale Hawerchuk 105 (85-86)
5. Dale Hawerchuk 103 (81-82)
6. Dale Hawerchuk 102 (83-84)
7. Paul MacLean 101 (84-85)
8. Dale Hawerchuk 100 (86-87)
9. Keith Tkachuk 98 (95-96)
10. Phil Housley 97 (92-93)

Goals:
1. Teemu Selanne 76 (92-93)
2. Dale Hawerchuk 53 (84-85)
3. Keith Tkachuk 50 (95-96)
4. Dale Hawerchuk 47 (86-87)
5. Dale Hawerchuk 46 (85-86)
6. Dale Hawerchuk 45 (81-82)
7. Dale Hawerchuk 44 (87-88)
7. Patrik Laine 44 (17-18)
9. Morris Lukowich 43 (81-82)
10. Keith Tkachuk 41 (93-94)
10. Dale Hawerchuk 41 (88-89)
10. Paul MacLean 41 (84-85)

Assists:
1. Phil Housley 79 (92-93)
2. Dale Hawerchuk 77 (87-88)
2. Dale Hawerchuk 77 (84-85)
4. Blake Wheeler 68 (17-18)
5. Dale Hawerchuk 65 (83-84)
6. Phil Housley 63 (91-92)
7. Dave Babych 61 (82-83)
8. Thomas Steen 61 (88-89)
9. Paul MacLean 60 (84-85)
10. Dale Hawerchuk 59 (85-86)

Wins:
1. Connor Hellebuyck 44 (17-18)
2. Bob Essensa 33 (92-93)
3. Brian Hayward 33 (84-85)
4. Ondrej Pavelec 29 (11-12)
5. Connor Hellebuyck 26 (16-17)
5. Nikolai Khabibulin 26 (95-96)

Shutouts:
1. Connor Hellebuyck 6 (17-18)
2. Bob Essensa 5 (91-92)
2. Ondrej Pavelec 5 (14-15)
4. Connor Hellebuyck 4 (16-17)
4. Bob Essensa 4 (90-91)
4. Ondrej Pavelec 4 (11-12)

SV% (Min 25GP):
1. Connor Hellebuyck .924 (17-18)
2. Al Montoya .920 (13-14)
2. Ondrej Pavelec .920 (14-15)
4. Connor Hellebuyck .918 (15-16)
5. Michael Hutchinson .914 (14-15)

GAA (Min 25GP):
1. Ondrej Pavelec 2.28 (14-15)
2. Al Montoya 2.30 (13-14)
3. Connor Hellebuyck 2.34 (15-16)
4. Connor Hellebuyck 2.36 (17-18)
5. Michael Hutchinson 2.38 (14-15)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Sjoberg was not in Nilsson or Hedbergs league. He was a good player but no superstar. I don't want to see banners raised for slightly above average players.

Reactions: Ducky10 and Spock

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Sjoberg was not in Nilsson or Hedbergs league. He was a good player but no superstar. I don't want to see banners raised for slightly above average players.

No disrespect intended but to say that Sjoberg was a slightly above average player vastly underestimates how good he actually was. According to Anders Hedberg when discussing Swedish national players of that era, Sjoberg was on another level compared to all others including Borje Salming. Sjoberg was the Bobby Orr of Sweden. If there could be a fourth member of the Hot Line it would have been him. He was instrumental in setting up the play for the Hot Line much the same way Selanne benefited from Phil Housley during his 76 goal rookie season. Montreal Canadiens general manager Sam Pollack was so impressed with him that he flew in to Winnipeg to try and get Sjoberg to sign with Montreal. Much the same way the sports media in Toronto overlooks the talent of the Winnipeg Jets because they're so focused on the Leafs, Sjoberg was overlooked in the same manner because he played in the WHA instead of the NHL. The focus on Winnipeg at the time may have been the Hot Line for obvious reasons but to say that Sjoberg was a slightly above average player would be inaccurate.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
No disrespect intended but to say that Sjoberg was a slightly above average player vastly underestimates how good he actually was. According to Anders Hedberg when discussing Swedish national players of that era, Sjoberg was on another level compared to all others including Borje Salming. Sjoberg was the Bobby Orr of Sweden. If there could be a fourth member of the Hot Line it would have been him. He was instrumental in setting up the play for the Hot Line much the same way Selanne benefited from Phil Housley during his 76 goal rookie season. Montreal Canadiens general manager Sam Pollack was so impressed with him that he flew in to Winnipeg to try and get Sjoberg to sign with Montreal. Much the same way the sports media in Toronto overlooks the talent of the Winnipeg Jets because they're so focused on the Leafs, Sjoberg was overlooked in the same manner because he played in the WHA instead of the NHL. The focus on Winnipeg at the time may have been the Hot Line for obvious reasons but to say that Sjoberg was a slightly above average player would be inaccurate.

Looking around the league, the Jets will have to be selective with their banners or they will have a significantly lower than average bar set for such an honour. While it's a subjective topic, how many former hockey players who were better than Sjoberg don't have their number in the rafters across the league?
Keeping in mind that you are honoured for what you did with the team who is putting your banner up, not what you did for other teams.

Wade Boggs has a banner in Tampa Bay.

Last edited:

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I can see Selanne being honored in Winnipeg. Players that made an impact on the history of Jets hockey in this city should be eligible and Selanne certainly did make an impact. Sure, the number of seasons wasn't all that lengthy (a little under four seasons) but it definitely was longer than the one season + 14 games that Ray Bourque played for Colorado and yet his number hangs from the rafters there.

I definitely agree here. The fact that he obliterated the rookie record for scoring, the impact he had in this city, coupled with the rest of his career is the reason he qualifies.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Looking around the league, the Jets will have to be selective with their banners or they will have a significantly lower than average bar set for such an honour. While it's a subjective topic, how many former hockey players who were better than Sjoberg don't have their number in the rafters across the league?
Keeping in mind that you are honoured for what you did with the team who is putting your banner up, not what you did for other teams.

Wade Boggs has a banner in Tampa Bay.

I see your point Spock. However, we have to also consider that the banners hanging in BellMTS Place are not numbers that have been retired but rather represent players that have been inducted into the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame (each banner has the Jets HOF logo on it). To say there will be no banners for Ab McDonald and Lars Erik Sjoberg does not seem logical in that respect. The HOF induction ceremony is to occur on February 26 when the Minnesota Wild are in town. I have to ask, why would they hold a ceremony for them with no banners when they could simply just hold the luncheon scheduled the following day and leave it at that? Why bother doing both? That's primarily what doesn't make sense to me if there are no plans to raise banners for them to indicate they are members of the HOF.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
I see your point Spock. However, we have to also consider that the banners hanging in BellMTS Place are not numbers that have been retired but rather represent players that have been inducted into the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame (each banner has the Jets HOF logo on it). To say there will be no banners for Ab McDonald and Lars Erik Sjoberg does not seem logical in that respect. The HOF induction ceremony is to occur on February 26 when the Minnesota Wild are in town. I have to ask, why would they hold a ceremony for them with no banners when they could simply just hold the luncheon scheduled the following day and leave it at that? Why bother doing both? That's primarily what doesn't make sense to me if there are no plans to raise banners for them to indicate they are members of the HOF.

It wouldn't be far-fetched to see them build a HOF exhibit in a room somewhere in the arena (downstairs?) Or maybe TN Square? Once the list has grown. That way they can honour more players without putting every single inductee on a banner in the arena.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Whatever we do, we don't have to look around the league, or to other leagues, to find ways to conform to what is perceived as normal. We can dictate things our own way.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Whatever we do, we don't have to look around the league, or to other leagues, to find ways to conform to what is perceived as normal. We can dictate things our own way.
You're right, it's all subjective. The further away you go from the norm...
You can't successfully argue a topic that is this subjective, there's just no logic in trying to change someone else's opinion.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
A bit dated from a month ago, but I just heard it. Darren Millard does a podcast called The Chirp and episode 3 his guest was Keith Tkachuk. Some here might be interested. He talked a bit about his days on the Jets. Talked about signing the offer sheet from Chicago. Said Chicago did it because there was a deal to trade him there but then it fell apart so Wortz signed him to the offer sheet to get back at the Jets.

Reactions: Jets 31 and HannuJ

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
legit question.
if Wheeler has a few more above average seasons, will he be inducted into the NHL Hall of Fame?
numbers would suggest it

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
legit question.
if Wheeler has a few more above average seasons, will he be inducted into the NHL Hall of Fame?
numbers would suggest it

I guess there's the should he be and the would be he. I don't think he should be, but I think the HHOF lets in more players than they should.

Will he be? I'd still say no. No major awards. Light on the goals. Don't think at any point of his career he was considered a super elite player. Always at that second sort of tier. Made the olympic team as the extra guy. Guys like the aforementioned Tkachuck; Theo Fluery have better numbers, international success and aren't in it.

Reactions: Spock

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
. According to Anders Hedberg when discussing Swedish national players of that era, Sjoberg was on another level compared to all others including Borje Salming. Sjoberg was the Bobby Orr of Sweden.

"Bobby Orr of Sweden." lol.. Sjoberg was a good defenseman, but let's keep it real. That's like saying Thomas Steen was the Wayne Gretzky of Sweden.

Reactions: Spock

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
..........According to Anders Hedberg ... Sjoberg was on another level compared to all others including Borje Salming. Sjoberg was the Bobby Orr of Sweden....He was instrumental in setting up the play for the Hot Line much the same way Selanne benefited from Phil Housley during his 76 goal rookie season. Montreal Canadiens general manager Sam Pollack was so impressed with him that he flew in to Winnipeg to try and get Sjoberg to sign with Montreal. ...

"Bobby Orr of Sweden." lol.. Sjoberg was a good defenseman, but let's keep it real. That's like saying Thomas Steen was the Wayne Gretzky of Sweden.
Before you lol, I would make sure you really understood the man and his body of work.

I agree with Hedberg on Sjoberg, and said so here:

Rank The Best ALL-TIME Jet Defensemen!

For those of you unfamiliar with Hedberg, he, like Sjoberg, had an all-star hockey mind in addition to his physical gifts. He probably knows Swedish hockey pro players and hockey history as well as anyone alive.

Reactions: DowntownBooster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad