Winnipeg Jets History

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I have been thinking, and I know the Jets organization unofficially now claims Jets 1972-1996 history as our own. My question is this- should we go a step further, and ask the NHL permission to use official Jets history, and have it returned to Winnipeg. That would include all records from 1979-96.

I think we should return all Thrashers history to the City of Atlanta as well. It's only fitting that due to the emotional attachment of Jets 1.0 history, it should be used and incorporated into the use by the new Winnipeg Jets.

Thoughts?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
In general I say yes.
I understand the business side of the transaction and the idea that they are different franchises.
That's fine.
But it really doesn't matter; the emotional attachment (for me) is to the teams that played in Winnipeg.

The Coyotes have been in Phoenix longer now then the Jets were originally in Winnipeg. They have plenty of their own history to cling to and I don't see how they really need or care too much about Jets 1.0.

I respect Thrasher history but aside from the players that moved to Winnipeg I see it as a separate entity. Players, coaches and GMs change teams all the time. I view the franchises the same way, the franchises play for the fans.

I also don't get worked up if someone wants to insist that franchise history is "x". I've heard the commentary mention both Jets / Thrashers statistical history and 2.0 / 1.0 statistical history.

People love stats and this is just more stats.

This fall Dale Hawerchuk will get a proper ceremony.
The site of him being honored in a half empty Phx building in front of people who don't (for the most part) know who he is was very sad.
I can't fault the Phx fans. You can't invent a connection or passion for something you didn't experience. How could a ceremony for Ducky in their building compare.

My long winded point.
Is celebrate what you want.
Anyone can argue whatever legal technicality they want it's not going to erase the memories of Jets 1.0.
If the NHL wants to make it official... all the better.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I don't think they should bother the NHL about it, but if they did, I would be happy with it and I would definitely want to lose the Atlanta records. Don't destroy those, just send them to Atlanta where they belong.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
My thoughts were expressed in this thread: Do the Jets deserve to get their history back?

In general, I'd say: yes, but I don't really care one way or the other at this point. My memories of the Jets are mine, location of the records be damned.

I feel the same way which leads me to believe it's the right thing for the league to do or allow if asked.
It's not the end of the world but it makes sense as the history was made here in front of us.

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg
Voted yes, but don't you think TN would have already barked up this tree? NHL answer: a franchise is a franchise, no sharing.

Unofficial is ok with me too...

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Maybe after the Ariazona Coyotes move to Seattle or Quebec City or Houston or wherever the hell they end up... the NHL will stop this ridiculous practice of keeping the franchise records with the franchise instead of the city that the team played in, but don't hold your breath because you will end up passing out.

Like the people in Seattle or wherever are going care who Hawerchuk is and be stupid enough to have a ceremony to honour him on their wall and give him a jersey with the new team logo , etc.

Wait a minute.....:sarcasm:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'm not sure why they need any permission. Don't they use it already? There was plenty of history on display at the Heritage classic last fall.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not sure why they need any permission. Don't they use it already? There was plenty of history on display at the Heritage classic last fall.

Yes, considering Teemu Selanne, Dale Hawerchuk and all those other Jets 1.0 players played for the Jets in the alumni game - and no former Thrashers - they're acting like the history belongs to the current Jets. The only people who raise a stink about it are pedants who just want to **** in everyone's cornflakes.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
Yes, considering Teemu Selanne, Dale Hawerchuk and all those other Jets 1.0 players played for the Jets in the alumni game - and no former Thrashers - they're acting like the history belongs to the current Jets. The only people who raise a stink about it are pedants who just want to **** in everyone's cornflakes.

Pretty much this. Nobody in Winnipeg cares about Atlanta's history, and I am pretty sure nobody in Phoenix cares about Winnipeg's history.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Yes, but Arizona's should be left there.

Like if Quebec gets a team, they should get their history back too.

But would love 9 and 25 re-retired, have those classic Jets numbers unretired by Arizona such as Hawerchuk.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Every. Single. Summer. This pops up. Let it go. NHL is not going to break the last 40 years of how they have done things (franchise records follow teams in a move). It doesn't matter.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Yes, the Winnipeg Jets 1.0 history must be returned.

The Charlotte Hornets of the NBA are the perfect example of how "team history" should be handled.

Charlotte Hornets 1.0 move to New Orleans and become the New Orleans Hornets.

City of Charlotte gets an expansion team called the Charlotte Bobcats.

The New Orleans Hornets rebrand as the New Orleans Pelicans.

Charlotte Bobcats rebrand as the Charlotte Hornets 2.0.

All records of the Charlotte Hornets 1.0 transferred by the NBA from the New Orleans Pelicans to the Charlotte Hornets 2.0.

"Whitfield also announced that in collaboration with the NBA and the Pelicans, all of the statistical information, records and history of the Charlotte NBA basketball will be restored to the franchise.

That means the Hornets will now own and have access to all of the historical elements from the recent Bobcats' era (2004-14) as well as the original Hornets teams that played in Charlotte - including stats from stars such as Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning and Muggsy Bogues.

All of the Hornets records from their years in New Orleans will revert to the Pelicans' history, Whitfield said."

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/05/20/charlotte-hornets-back.ap/

If the NBA can do it the NHL can do it as well.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, the Winnipeg Jets 1.0 history must be returned.

The Charlotte Hornets of the NBA are the perfect example of how "team history" should be handled.

Charlotte Hornets 1.0 move to New Orleans and become the New Orleans Hornets.

City of Charlotte gets an expansion team called the Charlotte Bobcats.

The New Orleans Hornets rebrand as the New Orleans Pelicans.

Charlotte Bobcats rebrand as the Charlotte Hornets 2.0.

All records of the Charlotte Hornets 1.0 transferred by the NBA from the New Orleans Pelicans to the Charlotte Hornets 2.0.

"Whitfield also announced that in collaboration with the NBA and the Pelicans, all of the statistical information, records and history of the Charlotte NBA basketball will be restored to the franchise.

That means the Hornets will now own and have access to all of the historical elements from the recent Bobcats' era (2004-14) as well as the original Hornets teams that played in Charlotte - including stats from stars such as Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning and Muggsy Bogues.

All of the Hornets records from their years in New Orleans will revert to the Pelicans' history, Whitfield said."

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/05/20/charlotte-hornets-back.ap/

If the NBA can do it the NHL can do it as well.

As you point out Guardian17, the NBA has demonstrated that it can be done. It's just a matter of whether the NHL would be willing to do the same. Even the CFL has dealt with this issue in regards to the Montreal Alouettes. Although the current Alouettes franchise was originally the Baltimore Stallions, the CFL considers all clubs that have played in Montreal as one franchise dating back to 1946 and considers the Alouettes to have suspended operations in 1987 before returning in 1996. Although the Alouetttes re-establishment in 1996 is often considered a relocation of the Stallions, neither the league nor the Alouettes recognize the Baltimore franchise, or its records, as part of the Alouettes official team history.

I'm really not sure why this gets such opposition by some people when talk of doing the same for the Jets is brought up. When the original Jets relocated to Phoenix, it wasn't a case where ownership moved the team like in the case of the Raiders from Oakland to L.A. but rather it was a sale of the team to owners with the intent to relocate. The league could have treated the Coyotes like an expansion team with team records beginning in 1996. The players stats would not disappear from league history like some people seem to think but could have been treated like a player being traded from one team to another. An example would be Dale Hawerchuk when he was traded from Winnipeg to Buffalo. His league records didn't disappear just because he was traded but the stats earned in Winnipeg were separate from those in Buffalo.

Regardless of what happens in regards to the NHL doing anything about it, we all know the history of events for Jets 1.0 occurred here in Winnipeg. Arguments can be made as to where statistical information belongs but one thing is for sure, you can't transfer memories made in one location to that of another.

:jets

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Regardless of what happens in regards to the NHL doing anything about it, we all know the history of events for Jets 1.0 occurred here in Winnipeg. Arguments can be made as to where statistical information belongs but one thing is for sure, you can't transfer memories made in one location to that of another.

They actually called me up and told me I had to transfer my memories. I politely told them to **** off. ;) :D

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I don't really care that much if the NHL did this officially or not. There are so many asterisks with most records anyway. Although it seems kind of dumb for Arizona to retire Ducky's number. These things become less relevant over time. We already reference the old stats all the time anyway.

I've always felt that we should honor the Thrashers organization at some point as a good will gesture to the Atlanta fans. Do an Atlanta game night where we play Calgary and both teams wear the old jerseys. Is that too tacky? One game in Wpg and the next one in Calgary. Or even do one in Atlanta.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Do an Atlanta game night where we play Calgary and both teams wear the old jerseys. Is that too tacky? One game in Wpg and the next one in Calgary. Or even do one in Atlanta.

This is like the NHL doing preseason games in Quebec. Salt in the would, I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad