Winnipeg Jets History

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Perhaps his opinion will change after the pre game ceremony in 6 days.

Are you going @Jets4Life.

I will say this, that historically Bobby Hull was very underrated. I didn't get to see a lot of games back then because I was to busy working and chasing women, but the games I saw Hull play in for the Hawks and the Jets -- he was the most dominating player in the NHL in his era, with the hardest shot.

He would have probably played a lot longer, but he hated John Ferguson with a passion, because Ferguson punched him in the mouth when he had a broken jaw. When Ferguson came over to become the GM of the Jets, I believe Hull quit hockey, even though Ferguson tried to convince him to play.

I don't know if the Jets would have beaten that Habs team in a 7 game series, because LaFleur, Lapointe, Savard, Robinson, Steve Shutt, Jaques Lemaire, and others were one of the best teams ever.

I'd say the Jets would have taken 2-3 games out of 7 for sure, and the only team that would have beaten that Habs team, was the 1985 Oilers, with Gretzky, Messier and company. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if that Habs team beat the Oilers in a 7 game series --they were a great team as well.

I wouldn't sell that Bobby Hull Jet's team short --"they were great."

Last edited:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
the Jets of the WHA from 75 onwards would have been a middle of the road NHL team most likely (earlier teams would have been worse). The depth was simply not there to compete with the likes of deep Canadiens and Islander teams of the 70s and 80s. Meeting either of those teams would have likely resulted in 4-0 series sweeps for the NHl clubs.

After their top 6 or 7 players few if any of those Jets players would have been good enough to play in the NHL. The stats of Jets star players (and all star players around the league for that matter) were inflated thanks to this lack of depth, and poor defense which was common leaguewide. When the vast majority of those players who were good enough to graduate to the NHL did, their 100+ point WHA seasons turned into 60 - 70 point seasons. This is what happens when begin to face teams with actual depth and d-men.

Reactions: Jets4Life

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
There are no banners going up for the two new inductees.

That’s strange. Where did you hear this? And I don’t really understand that logic... I guess there are different “tiers” within the WJHOF (at least unofficially)?

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
That’s strange. Where did you hear this? And I don’t really understand that logic... I guess there are different “tiers” within the WJHOF (at least unofficially)?
I heard it from Chipman at the fan forum. I think it's logical to allow yourself to honour more people than a respectable banner amount would allow.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
What are feelings about honoring Selanne in WPG?

I think Teemu Selanne should absolutely be honoured in the WJHOF and with a banner in the rafters, despite the fact that he didn’t play that long here (4 seasons if my memory serves right).

- Regardless of the length of time he played here, Selanne is amongst the most loved former 1.0 Jet (if not *the* most, at least for the younger generation). When he shows up at BellMTS Place for games and he’s shown on the jumbotron, he undoubtedly gets the loudest ovations every time (louder than Ducky). That is a fact. No contest there. There is a special bond between the Jets fanbase and Teemu Selanne that no other former Jet player has. And that game back in 2011 when the Ducks came here for the first time... was just “wow”.

- More importantly: The connection with that younger fanbase that grew up in the later portion of Jets 1.0 (growing up in the 90s). I’m speaking a bit personally for myself here too. I was born in the late 80s, and basically grew up in the 90s. *THE* most iconic Jet player from that era that people remember the most - the “face of that era” for the Jets, so-to-speak, was Selanne. Many of my friends still have that iconic poster that hung on so many bedroom walls of Selanne’s celebration when he threw that glove in the air. Or other posters of Selanne as a Jet. He was the fan favourite of that era. He was (and still is) the player that the younger generation associate with from Jets 1.0. He’s that “link” from 1.0 to 2.0 for the younger fanbase.

- And, c’mon, even if he wasn’t here as long as most players inducted in the WJHOF... 76 goals (132 pts.) as a rookie!

- Played in the alumni game as a member of the Jets for heritage classic weekend here. So TNSE is already starting to recognize the connection there. And Selanne was pretty much the “star” of that show (the alumni game), if you can call it that. And I think everyone expected that (including TNSE). I would imagine that he’ll play again next year in Regina, assuming there’s an alumni game there too. I’m not saying that playing in Jets alumni games is a major factor, but it’s a “sign” that TNSE recognizes the meaning/impact/connection/etc. (the place in Jets history, if you like) that he has here.

Reactions: Jedub and Plural

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
I think Teemu Selanne should absolutely be honoured in the WJHOF and with a banner in the rafters, despite the fact that he didn’t play that long here (4 seasons if my memory serves right).

- Regardless of the length of time he played here, Selanne is amongst the most loved former 1.0 Jet (if not *the* most, at least for the younger generation). When he shows up at BellMTS Place for games and he’s shown on the jumbotron, he undoubtedly gets the loudest ovations every time (louder than Ducky). That is a fact. No contest there. There is a special bond between the Jets fanbase and Teemu Selanne that no other former Jet player has. And that game back in 2011 when the Ducks came here for the first time... was just “wow”.

- More importantly: The connection with that younger fanbase that grew up in the later portion of Jets 1.0 (growing up in the 90s). I’m speaking a bit personally for myself here too. I was born in the late 80s, and basically grew up in the 90s. *THE* most iconic Jet player from that era that people remember the most - the “face of that era” for the Jets, so-to-speak, was Selanne. Many of my friends still have that iconic poster that hung on so many bedroom walls of Selanne’s celebration when he threw that glove in the air. Or other posters of Selanne as a Jet. He was the fan favourite of that era. He was (and still is) the player that the younger generation associate with from Jets 1.0. He’s that “link” from 1.0 to 2.0 for the younger fanbase.

- And, c’mon, even if he wasn’t here as long as most players inducted in the WJHOF... 76 goals (132 pts.) as a rookie!

- Played in the alumni game as a member of the Jets for heritage classic weekend here. So TNSE is already starting to recognize the connection there. And Selanne was pretty much the “star” of that show (the alumni game), if you can call it that. And I think everyone expected that (including TNSE). I would imagine that he’ll play again next year in Regina, assuming there’s an alumni game there too. I’m not saying that playing in Jets alumni games is a major factor, but it’s a “sign” that TNSE recognizes the meaning/impact/connection/etc. (the place in Jets history, if you like) that he has here.
The city's attachment to Selanne should, and probably will that his service time.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I thought the ceremony was really well done.

1127649104_slide.jpg

1127648764_slide.jpg

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I was really surprised that those at the game last night did not get a piece of HOF memorabilia for the man cave. A little disappointing.

I guess TNSE couldn’t find anyone to manufacture super mini banners the way the bobble heads have shrunk.

Reactions: hockey-brent

hockey-brent

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
I recall Chipman saying there "won't be banners this year" at the fanfest. Maybe the decision to add banners was made quite recently, that could explain the absence of souvenirs.

Ah thanks, was unable to attend and didn't pick that up anywhere. Still quite disappointing, they should keep with it every year. But hey, it's not like we can expect perks or anything for the ever increase in prices, right? ;)

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
It was wonderful to see Sjoberg's banner unveiled--a great moment in Jets history.
The link above didn't work but I tracked down the write-up. Here is a short excerpt:

"They were the best years of my life and my career in hockey," Lesuk said...

He won three Avco Cups, and in the mind of Hedberg - who received too many passes to count from Sjoberg - he was exactly the captain the Jets needed.
"He was a very natural captain for a group of 20 guys," said Hedberg. "Educated, smart, intelligent, a diplomat, and a very natural leader for our group."

Jets fans who are old enough to remember will agree that these were the best of years. Nothing beats watching a championship Cup being lifted by an athlete who represents the best of values on and off the ice. I hope we get to see it again some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It was wonderful to see Sjoberg's banner unveiled--a great moment in Jets history.
The link above didn't work but I tracked down the write-up. Here is a short excerpt:

"They were the best years of my life and my career in hockey," Lesuk said...

He won three Avco Cups, and in the mind of Hedberg - who received too many passes to count from Sjoberg - he was exactly the captain the Jets needed.
"He was a very natural captain for a group of 20 guys," said Hedberg. "Educated, smart, intelligent, a diplomat, and a very natural leader for our group."

Jets fans who are old enough to remember will agree that these were the best of years. Nothing beats watching a championship Cup being lifted by an athlete who represent the best of values on and off the ice. I hope we get to see it again some time.

I fixed the link. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad