The Players' Tribune: Winnipeg is Good by Patrik Laine

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I lost it at "goose pimples". :laugh:

Great read. Jets fans must be stoked to read how much he loves Winnipeg.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
People in large markets usually don’t understand just how important the connection to the market can be from a fan perspective. Laine will never have to pay for a meal or a beer in Winnipeg. He will be welcome everywhere he goes and kids will have a contest to see who gets to present him with the next CoD game. Great article and if Winnipeg is smart he becomes a bit more of the face of the team. Not that they wouldn’t sell, but I expect a big surge in Laine jerseys in Winnipeg based on this article. I would enjoy a Cup run in Winnipeg this season. The fans have been a great group and long suffering. The team is fun to watch when healthy and as a group the players seem like a solid group from an outsiders perspective.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He's ragging on the Shark players who *****ed about it.
No one bitched about it. They were asked a dumb question and gave silly answers. The only one's who bitched about anything were the Jets media and some of their fans.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
"Other than destroying Nik Ehlers in Call of Duty, I think the best thing to happen to me last year was falling in love with Winnipeg.

I mean, I heard some guys talking bad about the city and that Winnipeg was not a good place. What do they know? I love Winnipeg. This is my home. These are my people now. I play for them. It’s a great, great city. Everyone who lives here really cares about one another, that’s what stands out to me. We are one group, all of us. Everybody is your neighbor."

Ooooof. After years and years and years of being told that players will never want to play in Winnipeg, this was a nice little lift up.

Like most cities with a bad rap, once someone actually goes there and experiences the city they will see how wrong they were. I grew up in Hamilton, and now live in Windsor (both cities with less than stellar reputations from outsiders) - I always shake my head when I see people bash cities like Edmonton and Winnipeg when they've obviously never been.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
AAah this kid is FUN! I think the Finnish sense of humour fits right in to ol winnipeg! I bet cedar sales are going through the roof now.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Did you **** your pants? I would have.

My girlfriend was waiting in the car but she knows nothing about hockey so when I told her what just happened she wasn't to interested. My friends were confused why an NHL player would be trading games on kijiji.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
My girlfriend was waiting in the car but she knows nothing about hockey so when I told her what just happened she wasn't to interested. My friends were confused why an NHL player would be trading games on kijiji.

Finnish mentality. We buy the cheaper brand of butter to save 0.77 euros but gladly spend 150€ one night on beer.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

I'm fairly certain that's how it always goes with these articles. Although, I think most of the time players actually do read the article when it comes out. But Laine probably was busy gaming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad