OT: Winnipeg ICE sold - Moving to Wenatchee, Washington renamed Wenatchee Wild

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Credit last night's win to one of the best ICE defensive performances all season. They shut Calgary right down, limiting them to 14 shots and only a few actual scoring chances. On top of that, both ICE goals came from defensemen, Tanner Brown and Ben Zloty. Nice to see the defense step up in the absence of so many key offensive players. It was a bit surprising to see a team in the middle of a playoff race like Calgary get pushed around the way they did, they didn't play with a ton of urgency.

As a sidenote, the crowd last night was very small, it looked even smaller than the crowds during the 50% capacity limit. It was announced at 1,057 but that sounds a bit generous. I guess all of the postponed home games and long stretches of road games haven't done the ICE many favours but that is a small crowd for a team that is successful on the ice and increasingly established in the community. All three of the city's high-profile teams are struggling at the box office.

Last edited:

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
As a sidenote, the crowd last night was very small, it looked even smaller than the crowds during the 50% capacity limit. It was announced at 1,057 but that sounds a bit generous. I guess all of the postponed home games and long stretches of road games haven't done the ICE many favours but that is a small crowd for a team that is successful on the ice and increasingly established in the community. All three of the city's high-profile teams are struggling at the box office.

It's called a Jets game going on at the same time downtown. Thus, the food chain.

Also, great for the team to clinch their spot in the playoffs. Unless something else suddenly happens that cancels the season once again...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Credit last night's win to one of the best ICE defensive performances all season. They shut Calgary right down, limiting them to 14 shots and only a few actual scoring chances. On top of that, both ICE goals came from defensemen, Tanner Brown and Ben Zloty. Nice to see the defense step up in the absence of so many key offensive players. It was a bit surprising to see a team in the middle of a playoff race like Calgary get pushed around the way they did, they didn't play with a ton of urgency.

The Jets were playing a home game, plus it was Tuesday, plus the roads were shit last night and the perimeter was closed. The ICE have also been playing poorly and a lot of the top prospects folks would go to see play are out of the lineup.

I honestly think the weather was the main reason for the crowd though.

ICE desperately need to move to a better arena somewhere in the suburbs. Wayne Fleming isn’t really WHL-quality IMO and it’s far away from a lot of people in the city. There isn’t really another suitable rink (CLC obviously excluded) so I think a new arena will need to be built for the ICE to stick around past the next five years, IMO.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Well this sucks

Not surprisingly the ICE don't report on their own injuries, so I'm hoping one of the local reporters can tease out a few details. Obviously these two are absolutely essential to the ICE's playoff hopes.

I'm glad Geekie and Savoie each somehow turned "a few weeks" into a few days.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
That's three home shutout wins in a row for the ICE. Dawson Cowan got called up from the Blues for his first WHL start (Gage Alexander is out with a LBI) and gets the shutout... impressive.

Calgary didn't manage to get a goal again which I found a little surprising, I always expect these physical Central Division teams are going to come to Winnipeg and throw their weight around and score, but the Hitmen looked a little listless last week and again this week. Even getting Riley Fiddler-Schultz back in the lineup didn't seem to help them any. It was nice to see Geekie get back on the scoresheet with what turned out to be the game winner too.

Good times at the ICE Cave. Let's keep it rolling tonight against Moose Jaw!

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
And the Grey Cup is in the building (hopefully for real this time)
(But it's up against bucket hat night at the Moose game)

OK, who's reminded of the 2018 Winnipeg Jets and Nashville Predators?

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad