OT: Winnipeg ICE sold - Moving to Wenatchee, Washington renamed Wenatchee Wild

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
0 for 5 on the PP just isn't going to cut it, boys. Team played decent otherwise, though. Defence is still an issue, it doesn't help that the team's top d-man has been nearly completely absent last season and this season.

I liked Woo and he didn't get much ice time at all last night (understandably so) but I liked what he saw, he looks like an exceptionally good, smooth skater. I can see why he was a first rounder and maybe he can provide a bit of defensive relief as he settles in.

Finley was OK but made less of an impact than I expected. Geekie is plugging away hard doing seemingly everything right but just can't seem to get a puck over the line.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Looks like Wheat Kings ticketholders appear to be unaffected with amendments (?) to capacity limits.

Could Winnipeg Ice games allow for all ticketholders to be able to go to games as well?

Game On: All Brandon Wheat Kings & Stars on Ice "Holiday" Tickets Will Be Honored During Temporary Province of Manitoba Large Venue Capacity Update
Brandon, MB - The Brandon Wheat Kings announced today that the recent Province of Manitoba update to large venue capacities will have no impact on current Brandon Wheat Kings ticket holders. The change does, however, limit future ticket sales for all games played between Tuesday, December 21, 2021 and January 11, 2022.
The existing tickets for the upcoming Stars on Ice "Holiday" performance will also be unaffected.
All season ticket holders, suite level attendees, holiday hat-trick and santa pack buyers, and fans with pre-purchased single game tickets will be admitted to the game. Please use your tickets as you would any other game.
Fans not currently holding tickets for the following games are strongly encouraged to choose their seats online and buy tickets in advance. These games include the popular holiday break games on December 27th and December 30th and the New Year’s Day game. Sellouts are likely, please do not wait until game day to buy your tickets.
Monday, December 27th vs Winnipeg – 7pm – Westoba Place
Thursday, December 30th vs Edmonton – 7pm – Westoba Place
New Year’s Day, Saturday January 1st vs Red Deer – 7pm – Westoba Place
Friday, January 7th vs Calgary– 7pm – Westoba Place
All fans in attendance will continue to provide proof of vaccination screenings and wear masks when attending Wheat Kings games. No other changes to attendance requirements, concessions, or other fan services have been implemented by the Province of Manitoba at this time.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Damnit another blown lead for the ICE. The Wheat Kings are a different team than they were when they got blown out twice by the ICE at the start of the season but there is no reason that the ICE shouldn't have put them away after building up a 3-1 lead in the 3rd. I've got to hand it to the Wheat Kings for clawing back to tie the game late.

I'm not sure why Zloty and McClennon were out of the lineup (covid? travel difficulties?) but that obviously hurt the ICE in a big way. With the ICE defence down to spare parts, missing a key piece like Zloty might have made the difference in a pretty close game like that. Jonas Woo just isn't an adequate substitute right now.

The ICE are in a bona fide slump now but I'm confident they can pull out of it if they can get their whole team back together again.

On a different note, I am curious to see what ICE games will look like with the new public health restrictions. They were ready to go at 50% capacity but 250 fans max is a different ballgame. The next home game isn't until January 3 so there is some time to sort it all out.

Reactions: Guardian17

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Gameday! The ICE take on the Bedardless Pats in the city that rhymes with fun.

Fun fact: The Pats haven't beaten the ICE since the home team was still based in Cranbrook.

I know Team Canada is playing at the WJHC tonight but let's face it, it's against Germany so we all know what the outcome will be. I plan to turn off Team Canada during the first intermission by which point the game should be settled anyway, and pony up the seven bucks for CHL TV to watch the real Canadian 16 year old sensation, Zach Benson!

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Good performance by the ICE last night. Nice to see Connor McClennon back in the lineup, Ben Zloty was still out and I'm not quite sure what's going on there... hard not to wonder if it's a covid thing? But once he and Lambos are back in the lineup the team will be reasonably complete which it hasn't been in weeks. Hopefully that will be soon, maybe even tonight?

After building up a 3-0 lead and then giving up 2 goals in the second I was a little worried that we were en route to another blown lead like they did 3 times in a row (!!!) vs. Brandon. But the ICE buckled down and held on after scoring very early in the third.

I liked Zach Benson's game and I feel like he doesn't get enough credit for what he brings, he looked pretty solid carrying the puck into the Regina end, keeping control and he was making plays all night long. For a young guy he looks very smooth and polished. His line with Milne and Geekie had an awesome night.

On to Swift Current.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Connor Bedard who??? Nolan Orzeck puts up a four point night... not bad for a defenceman ;)

The ICE dominated that game, it could have easily been 10-1 if it weren't for some bad bounces. Gage Alexander played very well although to be honest it's not like Medicine Hat made his job especially difficult. Conor Geekie has proven his worth as someone very effective in imposing his will in the offensive zone, but his incredibly bad luck at actually getting the puck in the net lately has been breathtaking. It feels like every game he is so unbelievably close to scoring but something always ends up interfering. Happened again a couple of times last night. It must be starting to affect his draft stock by this point. Also interesting to see Jakin Smallwood stepping in to play defence. This is the second season in a row that the ICE are playing with a badly depleted defence and this could be their achilles heel in the playoffs.

On an unrelated note, I miss the ICE BREAKER SHOWW. For whatever reason the team started doing it during the pandemic when there was no hockey but then they dropped it when the season started. I get that there weren't a ton of listens during the extended off seasons, but I'm sure it would be of interest to many now that games are being played and the team is top of mind again. Other than the team's own website and the odd Free Press article there isn't a ton of media coverage. That podcast was a good way to keep up with the team. Bring back the ICE BREAKER!!!

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Just thinking some more about Conor Geekie's season so far. I certainly wouldn't say it's been a bad one but at the same time, I wouldn't say it has been shoot-out-the-lights spectacular either. He is good at driving to the net and moving around the offensive zone at will. He seems to get his share of shots and chances even if they don't necessarily go in all that regularly. So credit to him there.

I took a look at social media and what the would-be draft experts have to say, and some of them are ranking Geekie ahead of Savoie. As far as I can tell, the rationale is that Geekie isn't playing on the top line so his job is harder (fair enough) and he already has NHL size (also fair enough). But at the same time, it doesn't look like he has really hit his stride this season either. He hasn't been quite as dominant as I was expecting, although maybe my expectations were unrealistic?

What do the HFBoards Jets experts have to say here? Is Geekie's season legitimately pushing him to near the top of the rankings or is he more likely to go a few picks after Savoie? Based on what we've seen this season I'm leaning to the latter myself.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just thinking some more about Conor Geekie's season so far. I certainly wouldn't say it's been a bad one but at the same time, I wouldn't say it has been shoot-out-the-lights spectacular either. He is good at driving to the net and moving around the offensive zone at will. He seems to get his share of shots and chances even if they don't necessarily go in all that regularly. So credit to him there.

I took a look at social media and what the would-be draft experts have to say, and some of them are ranking Geekie ahead of Savoie. As far as I can tell, the rationale is that Geekie isn't playing on the top line so his job is harder (fair enough) and he already has NHL size (also fair enough). But at the same time, it doesn't look like he has really hit his stride this season either. He hasn't been quite as dominant as I was expecting, although maybe my expectations were unrealistic?

What do the HFBoards Jets experts have to say here? Is Geekie's season legitimately pushing him to near the top of the rankings or is he more likely to go a few picks after Savoie? Based on what we've seen this season I'm leaning to the latter myself.

I think a lot of it is about projection. Scouts just aren't looking at who's better now but trying to determine who will be more impact full 4 to 5 years out.

Geekie hasn't been as good as Savoie but he has a tantalizing set of tools that GMs drool over. He has terrific size, real soft Hands, a big shot and he isn't afraid to go hard to the net. Teams are always looking for the next big top line center.

Savoie for all his skill is still a smaller finesse forward who I would imagine many GMs have pegged as a winger.

Sort of like who would be more valuable, Conner or Dubois. Most teams would choose the center.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Great perspective, @surixon . Thanks for the insight. For what it's worth I definitely consider myself a fan of Geekie and I think he's one of the most exciting players to watch from a fan perspective. I really hope his stat line gets a big bump in the second half of the season because I don't think it fully reflects his contribution to the team.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Great perspective, @surixon . Thanks for the insight. For what it's worth I definitely consider myself a fan of Geekie and I think he's one of the most exciting players to watch from a fan perspective. I really hope his stat line gets a big bump in the second half of the season because I don't think it fully reflects his contribution to the team.

Yeah he is definitely a fun player to watch. I would agree that his production, especially his goal totals imo are underrepresented given his play on the ice.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Man, I miss the ICE. Since the New Year they played once in Medicine Hat and then had two home games postponed (Monday and tomorrow, i.e. Saturday). They are supposed to play two vs. Regina next weekend on the 15th and 16th. The games are still scheduled to happen but honestly, who knows at this point.

What are the chances that they go ahead with next weekend's games with the current capacity limits of 250 in place? I hope they do, otherwise it means that they will be going nearly 3 weeks in between games.

In other news, Swan got reassigned to the Freeze. Cumby and Woo got reassigned earlier in the week. I'm assuming this is just to keep them busy and playing during the postponed ICE games?

Also, 10 more days until the WHL trade deadline. Mike Sawatzky at the Free Press doesn't expect the ICE to land an impact dman. I guess there is some doubt about the wisdom of trading with the season starting to teeter?

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Man, I miss the ICE. Since the New Year they played once in Medicine Hat and then had two home games postponed (Monday and tomorrow, i.e. Saturday). They are supposed to play two vs. Regina next weekend on the 15th and 16th. The games are still scheduled to happen but honestly, who knows at this point.

What are the chances that they go ahead with next weekend's games with the current capacity limits of 250 in place? I hope they do, otherwise it means that they will be going nearly 3 weeks in between games.

In other news, Swan got reassigned to the Freeze. Cumby and Woo got reassigned earlier in the week. I'm assuming this is just to keep them busy and playing during the postponed ICE games?

Also, 10 more days until the WHL trade deadline. Mike Sawatzky at the Free Press doesn't expect the ICE to land an impact dman. I guess there is some doubt about the wisdom of trading with the season starting to teeter?
What I hope is that the CHL (or any other league for that matter) has patience. The next few weeks are going to be hell in a scheduling matter (associated with hospitalization levels), but if they can get past this, hopefully there will be a Memorial Cup this year (just expect it to be put on later than scheduled).

Reactions: jetsmooseice

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3