OT: Winnipeg ICE sold - Moving to Wenatchee, Washington renamed Wenatchee Wild

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Big weekend for ICE alumni in the AHL. Michal Teply scored his first AHL goal for Rockford and Isaac Johnson scored his first AHL goal for none other than the Manitoba Moose. They join Dawson Barteaux who scored for the Texas Stars last season.

One week until the WHL trade deadline. I'm finally starting to accept the reality that there may not be a big trade for a defenceman coming. It is somewhat tragic that the ICE couldn't find a way to get Guhle to fill the huge defensive gap on the team, and instead let him get away to their biggest rival. Unless of course the ICE don't think that there will be playoffs yet again and didn't want to squander draft picks on him.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Big weekend for ICE alumni in the AHL. Michal Teply scored his first AHL goal for Rockford and Isaac Johnson scored his first AHL goal for none other than the Manitoba Moose. They join Dawson Barteaux who scored for the Texas Stars last season.

One week until the WHL trade deadline. I'm finally starting to accept the reality that there may not be a big trade for a defenceman coming. It is somewhat tragic that the ICE couldn't find a way to get Guhle to fill the huge defensive gap on the team, and instead let him get away to their biggest rival. Unless of course the ICE don't think that there will be playoffs yet again and didn't want to squander draft picks on him.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Looks like the ICE picked up a number 7 d-man out of the AJHL, which in the current situation means that he will probably play significant minutes on the third pairing? I see he's from Wainwright which is where Connor McClennon is from.

On the scale of trade deadline moves, this moves the needle maybe up to "Jets acquire Jordie Benn" levels

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
So that's four home games lost and counting. Looks like the postponed game vs. Swift Current will be made up later this month, so no road games lost as far as I can recall. That's not too bad. Hopefully home games can resume in February with at least 50% capacity crowds.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
ICYMI Matt Savoie and Conor Geekie ranked third and fourth among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting. Looks like there's a good chance they will both go in the top 10 this year.

I'm guessing that those two must be satisfied with the way things have gone this season even with a somewhat compromised season and an increasingly iffy playoff picture? Particularly Savoie who was probably tempted to return to the United States... coming back to Winnipeg didn't hurt his draft stock.

What are the chances that one or both might go directly to the NHL in 2022? I was assuming that they'd return to the ICE next season but with the way things are going for them, I wonder if it's possible that they might stick in the NHL? That would be great for them but terrible for the team. As it stands, the ICE are legitimate championship contenders and they have impressive forward depth but it would be tough to withstand the loss of their two biggest impact players especially when several other key veterans are graduating on top of that.

Reactions: Guardian17

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Blech, this sucks. The ICE have only played two games since the calendar flipped... this Saturday will be their third. Three games in three weeks. Not great.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Brown_Trade-730x411.jpg

Wheatcroft_Trade-730x411.jpg

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Well, if Kaiden Guhle was the home run by Edmonton then just looking at the numbers I'd say that Tanner Brown is maybe a double? I doubt having him here will revolutionize things but it will probably reduce the frequency of the team having to play with only 5 defenseman and adds some valuable experience given that lately the ICE have relying on a lot of raw rookies to fill the gaps on defence. The ICE paid a pretty steep price for him with a first rounder.

I'm not really sure what the point of the Wheatcroft trade was, the team has basically added a depth forward on a team that already has a fair bit of offensive depth.

I'd be curious to hear the rationale for the ICE's moves. They dipped their toes into trade waters, but they did so in a pretty hesitant, minimal kind of way. It was a far cry from Edmonton's series of blockbuster moves which, and I hate to say this, has to make them the favourites coming out of the Eastern Conference. They have obviously always been a good team but with the extra defensive depth they've gained plus getting Sourdif from Vancouver, they are just stacked now.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Well, if Kaiden Guhle was the home run by Edmonton then just looking at the numbers I'd say that Tanner Brown is maybe a double? I doubt having him here will revolutionize things but it will probably reduce the frequency of the team having to play with only 5 defenseman and adds some valuable experience given that lately the ICE have relying on a lot of raw rookies to fill the gaps on defence. The ICE paid a pretty steep price for him with a first rounder.

I'm not really sure what the point of the Wheatcroft trade was, the team has basically added a depth forward on a team that already has a fair bit of offensive depth.

I'd be curious to hear the rationale for the ICE's moves. They dipped their toes into trade waters, but they did so in a pretty hesitant, minimal kind of way. It was a far cry from Edmonton's series of blockbuster moves which, and I hate to say this, has to make them the favourites coming out of the Eastern Conference. They have obviously always been a good team but with the extra defensive depth they've gained plus getting Sourdif from Vancouver, they are just stacked now.
Yeah, the Oil Kings are head and shoulders above everyone. Disappointing that it looks like the ICE got gun shy but the season isn’t over.

Still, feels like a defeat considering what happened at the deadline.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Yeah, the Oil Kings are head and shoulders above everyone. Disappointing that it looks like the ICE got gun shy but the season isn’t over.

Still, feels like a defeat considering what happened at the deadline.

The Oil Kings are loaded for bear. They outgunned the ICE pretty clearly during the two games they played with full rosters (that last one at home where the ICE beat the EOK after their stars had left for the WJHC didn't count).

I figured for sure the ICE would get a household name-type top pairing defenseman and I'm a little disappointed that they didn't. The only way for the ICE to be vindicated by their lack of action is to a) win anyway or b) have the playoffs cancelled so that Edmonton's moves are for naught. In their defence the ICE weren't forced to move because their team is younger than the Oil Kings so they have the luxury of time. I think next year will be the "all in" year for the ICE at trade deadline time.

On a different note, the ICE have now had several games postponed. There hasn't been a home game in a month. This has to be tough for the ownership group to bear. I get that the owner is wealthy but at a certain point even he has to be reaching a breaking point given the lack of revenue and the impasse on the arena. It is getting to the point where I wonder if the team's continued future in Winnipeg might be a little hazy?

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
On a different note, the ICE have now had several games postponed. There hasn't been a home game in a month. This has to be tough for the ownership group to bear. I get that the owner is wealthy but at a certain point even he has to be reaching a breaking point given the lack of revenue and the impasse on the arena. It is getting to the point where I wonder if the team's continued future in Winnipeg might be a little hazy?
Interesting you say that, because now 50 Below is rumored to be looking at bringing a CEBL basketball team to Winnipeg. Plans would be for the team to be a tenant at this new arena.
Talks on to bring Canadian Elite Basketball League to city

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Interesting you say that, because now 50 Below is rumored to be looking at bringing a CEBL basketball team to Winnipeg. Plans would be for the team to be a tenant at this new arena.
Talks on to bring Canadian Elite Basketball League to city

Interesting article, thanks for posting that.

Given how much trouble that 50 Below has been having with the ICE (no fault of their own, obviously the pandemic has been wreaking havoc on things) it's hard to imagine that they'd want to get involved in bringing another new team to town. I could definitely see it happening if they had their own building to put them in, but doing another rent-a-venue arrangement where they have the team play at IGAC, the Convention Centre or wherever sounds like a tough sell.

I'd be curious to see what kind of fan interest there would be in the CEBL. Winnipeg obviously has a lot of basketball fans and amateur players, but I wonder if the interest is really there in minor pro basketball. The Thunder had a couple of good years in the 90s thanks to Sam Katz's marketing sizzle, but the Cyclone really struggled. And it's not as though the local university basketball teams, which are historically pretty successful programs, have been able to capitalize on being the biggest basketball show in town for the last 20 years.

I get the impression that the typical basketball fan in Winnipeg is happy to play in their rec league and watch the NBA on TV, but I would not expect them to buy tickets to a CEBL game at IGAC. It's a different culture than with hockey where people come out for minor pro and amateur levels.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com

Given how much trouble that 50 Below has been having with the ICE (no fault of their own, obviously the pandemic has been wreaking havoc on things) it's hard to imagine that they'd want to get involved in bringing another new team to town. I could definitely see it happening if they had their own building to put them in, but doing another rent-a-venue arrangement where they have the team play at IGAC, the Convention Centre or wherever sounds like a tough sell.

I'd be curious to see what kind of fan interest there would be in the CEBL. Winnipeg obviously has a lot of basketball fans and amateur players, but I wonder if the interest is really there in minor pro basketball. The Thunder had a couple of good years in the 90s thanks to Sam Katz's marketing sizzle, but the Cyclone really struggled. And it's not as though the local university basketball teams, which are historically pretty successful programs, have been able to capitalize on being the biggest basketball show in town for the last 20 years.

I get the impression that the typical basketball fan in Winnipeg is happy to play in their rec league and watch the NBA on TV, but I would not expect them to buy tickets to a CEBL game at IGAC. It's a different culture than with hockey where people come out for minor pro and amateur levels.
But hasn't streaming/cable TV over the last few decades expanded the interest and fan base in these "niche" sports like soccer and basketball in cities like ours? Raptors mania was real (much like Blue Jays mania in the early 90s, which led to the Goldeyes).

It's not like the late 70s when TV coverage in Canada was pretty much the Global Television Network airing late night NBA replays at an extremely cheap rate.

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
But hasn't streaming/cable TV over the last few decades expanded the interest and fan base in these "niche" sports like soccer and basketball in cities like ours? Raptors mania was real (much like Blue Jays mania in the early 90s, which led to the Goldeyes).

It's not like the late 70s when the Global Television Network aired late night NBA replays at an extremely cheap rate.

No question that streaming and cable have built up interest in basketball, but I guess the issue is whether people watching the NBA on TV will translate into people hopping in their cars and driving down to IGAC or wherever to buy a ticket and watch teams with players they've never heard of go at it. With the right kind of marketing it's certainly possible (it worked before for a while with the Winnipeg Thunder), but I wouldn't say it's a sure bet.

If 50 Below actually had an arena built then it would be a no-brainer since the incremental cost of adding a team would be minimal, they could piggyback on the ICE the way that the Moose kind of piggyback on the Jets. But without that, I think it's tough sledding. The WHL works because it's a known quantity and there is a large and reliable hockey community you can count on for support. With the CEBL I think it's far more uncertain. That said, I would be happy to see the CEBL come to town. It would be nice to have pro basketball back.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Personally, I have season tickets to the Bombers and attend around five or so Goldeyes games each (normal) summer. I go to the Jets when I can but can't afford to go very often at all (maybe once or twice a season). I do enjoy going to hockey games though and make it to a handful of Moose, WHL, MJHL, and MMJHL games each year. Haven't been out to see the Bisons hockey team yet, but I'd like to try to do that once a year or so. I haven't seen Valour FC play and I'm not a big soccer guy, but I still would like to go to a game sometime. Basketball for me would be similar to the Goldeyes, but they only have like ten home games a year so I'd maybe make it out to one or two.

I'm a pretty big sports guy but basketball is probably fourth on my list - I love hockey (I mean, I think we all do on this forum) and I love football. Baseball I don't mind, but I enjoy the atmosphere and spending a summer night outside, which is something basketball wouldn't be able to offer.

So I'd enjoy a basketball team here but I wouldn't support them much other than maybe buying a sweater or something and attending a couple of games a year. I feel many people would be similar to me and I'm not sure it's a viable business model for them without a ton of support.

Attendance in this league, from what I can see, seems to average between 2,000 - 3,000. Would they be able to routinely get that in Winnipeg?

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Personally, I have season tickets to the Bombers and attend around five or so Goldeyes games each (normal) summer. I go to the Jets when I can but can't afford to go very often at all (maybe once or twice a season). I do enjoy going to hockey games though and make it to a handful of Moose, WHL, MJHL, and MMJHL games each year. Haven't been out to see the Bisons hockey team yet, but I'd like to try to do that once a year or so. I haven't seen Valour FC play and I'm not a big soccer guy, but I still would like to go to a game sometime. Basketball for me would be similar to the Goldeyes, but they only have like ten home games a year so I'd maybe make it out to one or two.

I'm a pretty big sports guy but basketball is probably fourth on my list - I love hockey (I mean, I think we all do on this forum) and I love football. Baseball I don't mind, but I enjoy the atmosphere and spending a summer night outside, which is something basketball wouldn't be able to offer.

So I'd enjoy a basketball team here but I wouldn't support them much other than maybe buying a sweater or something and attending a couple of games a year. I feel many people would be similar to me and I'm not sure it's a viable business model for them without a ton of support.

Attendance in this league, from what I can see, seems to average between 2,000 - 3,000. Would they be able to routinely get that in Winnipeg?

Based on the quotes in that article that @RetroWinnipeg shared, it appears that the CEBL is aware of Winnipeg's large Filipino-Canadian population which must be pretty appealing to the league given that basketball is huge in the Philippines. There may be a sense that this is an untapped market of not only Filipino-Canadian fans, but also companies that could become sponsors. This approach is not a new thing, Valour FC taps pretty hard into the Italian and Portuguese communities for their support. So it might be more of a niche team than something intended to have broad appeal.

But all this could be easier said than done. There would probably have to be some element of Filipino representation throughout the team from ownership, management on down to the players. I don't think the 50 Below white guys could just run a CEBL team like the ICE and expect the Filipino community to get behind it because it's basketball.

Personally, I'm set in my ways. Hockey and football are the only sports that I will ever really get into as a fan. I would only go to CEBL games if my kids wanted to go in which case I guess I'd take them once or twice a season... kind of like what we do with Valour and the Goldeyes.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Stuffed into an announcement about the pausing of team activities for Brandon and Kelowna is that Tuesday's postponed game (January 18) has now been moved to Sunday, February 27 (making the weekend a 3-in-3).

Reactions: Guardian17

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6