OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2019 Off Season Thread

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Sounds like they're looking at bringing in a NFL pre-season game.

I wouldn't be interested at all.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't be interested either, as I find the American game boring, but it could do a few good things. It could bring more eyes tk the CFL and some of the trialists that come along might choose to explore the CFL because of it

None

Feb 22, 2012
Most of the NFL fans I know are Vikings fans, I think it'll be a tough sell at $150+/seat for a Packers pre-season game.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Riders blocked it like idiots. This would be a great thing for CFL, Bombers and Winnipeg. I'm pretty excited about this.

Yeah, that's stupid. I won't go to something like this, even if the broncos (my fav team) were in it,

but I'd guess it would do pretty well.

You would need to pay me to watch an NFL preseason game on TV, let alone making a day out of going to the stadium.

Reactions: Ducky10

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah, that's stupid. I won't go to something like this, even if the broncos (my fav team) were in it,

but I'd guess it would do pretty well.

You would need to pay me to watch an NFL preseason game on TV, let alone making a day out of going to the stadium.

I would never watch an NFL pre-season game on tv but it would be awesome to make a day of going to one at the stadium. I'm sure most of my bomber tailgate group would go if for nothing else than another tailgate party.

Reactions: thegr8one66

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
This would give me a reason to check out the new stadium.... hope it is true as I've never felt it was worth the drive to U of M for a bomber game. This is week 3 pre season game so starters would play over half the game....Im a big fantasy football guy and the CFL has nothing even in the same universe as NFL fantasy sports.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Thoughts?
No thanks

snoring2.jpg

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Thoughts?

From other posters on this topic, I hear that this NFL pre-season game will be in Winnipeg, and involve the Green Bay Packers ??

As a big NFL fan, I'd love to see a game like that -- but what I'd really like to see is the Bombers or Calgary play an NFL team, and see if they can compete. Although the NFL attracts the best players, this would be a much closer game than many people think IMO.

Should note-- even NFL preseason games are pretty bad, and I rarely, if never watch them. I don't know what level of interest they would have. Bomber fans are very loyal to the CFL.

I guess if this happened they'd have to play 4 down football ??

Last edited:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Most of the NFL fans I know are Vikings fans, I think it'll be a tough sell at $150+/seat for a Packers pre-season game.

I think most Canadians like either the Packers or the Vikings, and some like the more southern teams as well. I've always been a Packers fan, but seeing 2 great NFL teams play here would be great. A team like the Patriots would draw fans here. :)

I guess we should bear in mind this is a "pre-season" game, and I rarely watch them, so I guess it would be the novelty of actually seeing a live NFL team. I don't know how many people would attend ??

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
As a big NFL fan, I'd love to see a game like that -- but what I'd really like to see is the Bombers or Calgary play an NFL team, and see if they can compete. Although the NFL attracts the best players, this would be a much closer game than many people think IMO.

Under whose rules, ours or theirs? Two very different games. To be fair, it would probably have to be played NFL style, as most of the players and coaches are Americans and have experience with those rules. In that scenario, I think even the worst team in the NFL would beat our best. There's a reason most of these guys are playing in Canada for peanuts. We have the players the NFL doesn't want. And there's nothing wrong with that. We have a good game that's enjoyable to watch. Or it would be if it wasn't for the pathetic officiating, but that's another discussion for another time. But, I can't see such a game ever happening and probably for the best that it doesn't.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Riders blocked it like idiots. This would be a great thing for CFL, Bombers and Winnipeg. I'm pretty excited about this.
you advertise the city. nothing wrong with more eyes on Wpg.
you show a very nice stadium.
most importantly, many college coaches and on-the-cusp NFL players will see what Wpg's stadium looks like for the first time and it may increase our chances of landing players.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

From other posters on this topic, I hear that this NFL pre-season game will be in Winnipeg, and involve the Green Bay Packers ??

do you want to see a man run a race against a horse as well?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Should note-- even NFL preseason games are pretty bad, and I rarely, if never watch them. I don't know what level of interest they would have. Bomber fans are very loyal to the CFL.

I guess if this happened they'd have to play 4 down football ??

Calgary or Winnipeg against even the worst NFL team would be an even bigger blowout than an NHL vs. AHL game.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Under whose rules, ours or theirs? Two very different games. To be fair, it would probably have to be played NFL style, as most of the players and coaches are Americans and have experience with those rules. In that scenario, I think even the worst team in the NFL would beat our best. There's a reason most of these guys are playing in Canada for peanuts. We have the players the NFL doesn't want. And there's nothing wrong with that. We have a good game that's enjoyable to watch. Or it would be if it wasn't for the pathetic officiating, but that's another discussion for another time. But, I can't see such a game ever happening and probably for the best that it doesn't.

Your probably right -- this would never happen, but if a team like Calgary played a weak NFL team, it be a lot closer than many people think IMO. I remember back in the late 1950's thru the 1960's and people were saying the Russians could never compete with our NHL clubs. They were dead wrong, as the Russians won many tournaments when they started holding them. I guess we'll never know ??

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Calgary or Winnipeg against even the worst NFL team would be an even bigger blowout than an NHL vs. AHL game.

I think a team like Calgary could beat a weak NFL team. They have a quarterback in Mitchell that could play in the NFL. Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia and others that were stars in the CFL, were also stars in the NFL.

We likely won't see this happen, but I think people sell the CFL a little short, even though it's made up of NFL players that couldn't make it down south.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
do you want to see a man run a race against a horse as well?

Judging by your comment, I guess you believe a CFL team would not stand a chance. I think a good team like Calgary could give a "weak" NFL team a very competitive game. It likely won't happen, but I'd like to see it. In this case, Calgary has an NFL style quarterback in Mitchell who likely could make the NFL, and I wouldn't be surprised if they could beat them.

I don't think it be as much of a runaway as you think-- the CFL may lose, but I think they would be a lot more competitive than people think -- especially a top team like Calgary.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

I think a team like Calgary could beat a weak NFL team. They have a quarterback in Mitchell that could play in the NFL. Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia and others that were stars in the CFL, were also stars in the NFL.

We likely won't see this happen, but I think people sell the CFL a little short, even though it's made up of NFL players that couldn't make it down south.

QB isn't going to do anything if the O line is getting overwhelmed. I think the line play alone could be enough to doom the CFL team.

Reactions: snowkiddin

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
QB isn't going to do anything if the O line is getting overwhelmed. I think the line play alone could be enough to doom the CFL team.

I can see how you think that way, like many others. I'm more to agree with you on a weak CFL team, but a team like Calgary that blows other teams out, would likely beat a "weak" NFL team, but not a top rated one. I maybe wrong tho ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad