OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2019 Off Season Thread

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Dislike cuts of Simonise and Bennett. I certainly wasn't convinced McGuire was better in pre-season. Simonise has ridiculous potential. Played well on a ton of ST last year and is a backup, type of player you need to groom, IMO.

Reactions: sipowicz

None

Feb 22, 2012
Bennett might be a case of the Bombers giving him a chance to land on a team that gives him a chance at starting. They've clearly hitched their wagon to Nichols and Streveler, the last spot may as well be used for the younger guy in McGuire to develop.

Reactions: TS Quint

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Bennett might be a case of the Bombers giving him a chance to land on a team that gives him a chance at starting. They've clearly hitched their wagon to Nichols and Streveler, the last spot may as well be used for the younger guy in McGuire to develop.

I will be very surprised if Streveler sticks around after this year. So now they've turfed someone who already has development time in so they can start from scratch yet again. As I said, it boggles the mind.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I will be very surprised if Streveler sticks around after this year. So now they've turfed someone who already has development time in so they can start from scratch yet again. As I said, it boggles the mind.

Why would you be "very surprised"? He has a long shot at NFL but not that likely. It's a long season but no team is going to give Streveler a starting job yet that's for sure. It's more likely hes in Winnipeg as a than anywhere else.

As for Bennett remember he was wpg #3/4 in 2016. Released in off-season Sask signed him but he was released out of camp. Spent 2017 out of football. Last year he didn't open camp with Bombers. Was only signed when they ran into that spat of QB injuries early. Sure beat out Ross and some other veteran I can't remember last year for #3 but doesn't mean much there.

And btw EVERY team has a long long string of QBs that came through that flamed out. To be fair most have that one or two hits but then again most team can luck out a Grey Cup or two.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Uh Bennett will be lucky to get a contract elsewhere. Absolutely zero chance he gets anywhere close to starting hes a #3-5 journeyman at this point.

That being said he isn't that old and showed better than McGuire in my opinion. Well see.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Why would you be "very surprised"? He has a long shot at NFL but not that likely. It's a long season but no team is going to give Streveler a starting job yet that's for sure. It's more likely hes in Winnipeg as a than anywhere else.

As for Bennett remember he was wpg #3/4 in 2016. Released in off-season Sask signed him but he was released out of camp. Spent 2017 out of football. Last year he didn't open camp with Bombers. Was only signed when they ran into that spat of QB injuries early. Sure beat out Ross and some other veteran I can't remember last year for #3 but doesn't mean much there.

And btw EVERY team has a long long string of QBs that came through that flamed out. To be fair most have that one or two hits but then again most team can luck out a Grey Cup or two.

Much will depend on the type of season Nichols has. If he rebounds I think the Bombers will want to stick with the veteran. Streveler comes across as a guy with starting level confidence even if he doesn't have starting level skills yet. I don't think the patience for putting in time as a rarely used backup (barring injury) is there. As such, he may look at places like Montreal, Ottawa even Regina as better opportunities to be #1 sooner.

And if you think there isn't much there with Bennett, why dislike the cut?

None

Feb 22, 2012
Uh Bennett will be lucky to get a contract elsewhere. Absolutely zero chance he gets anywhere close to starting hes a #3-5 journeyman at this point.

That being said he isn't that old and showed better than McGuire in my opinion. Well see.

With the revolving door of QBs around the league I won't be surprised if a team is desperate for a backup with any kind of experience.

Ottawa and Montreal are going to be dumpster diving for cuts pretty soon. Toronto might struggle for consistency but they seem to have more patience with the guys they have.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Bennett had a great preseason. I wouldn't be surprised if another team signs him.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Much will depend on the type of season Nichols has. If he rebounds I think the Bombers will want to stick with the veteran. Streveler comes across as a guy with starting level confidence even if he doesn't have starting level skills yet. I don't think the patience for putting in time as a rarely used backup (barring injury) is there. As such, he may look at places like Montreal, Ottawa even Regina as better opportunities to be #1 sooner.

And if you think there isn't much there with Bennett, why dislike the cut?

Long season. Too early to tell. I just doubt big time that Steveler will be with another CFL team next year one way or another.

I thought Bennett out played McGuire. Dont see what the coaches do there. Bennetts versatility was nice as a bonus. And sometimes guys who wont get another look just need an opportunity. It's not an exact science, I'm sure many many guys who could have been starters fell through the cracks.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Argos release Josiah St John. Was picked #1 overall by Riders in 2016. Held out until past season opener. Spent 3 years in Sask appearing in just 22 games and I dont know if he ever started. Signed with Argos in off-season now released. We're not the only ones to bungle a #1 pick lol

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but Khari Jones is now the HC in Montreal on an interm basis

So can the head coach a week before the start of the regular season, what a joke, CFL beginning to unravel in many ways, Lions played before an empty stadium in BC last night, sad times for the CFL in Canada's big three cities!

Last edited:
Reactions: bustamente

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
The Cavillo/Trestman days in Montreal are a distant memory and attendance and poor teams have reflected that, they need to get the ownership situation figured out pronto, if Reilly can't get people to go to the dome nothing will, and Toronto is a lost cause.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Despite three brand new stadiums (Wpg, Sask. and Hamilton) in the CFL along with two revamped stadiums in Ottawa and BC the CFL still mired with problems in Montreal, Toronto and BC where MLS soccer is eating the CFL alive!

Reactions: GNP

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
WINNIPEG, MB., June 8, 2019 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce today the following transactions.
The following players have been released from the roster:
  • International quarterback Bryan Bennett
  • International defensive lineman Brandin Bryant
  • International defensive lineman Alex McCalister
  • International defensive back Amari Coleman
  • International defensive back Tyneil Cooper
  • International defensive back Joe Este
  • International running back Larry Rose
  • International running back John Santiago
  • International offensive lineman Tanner Farmer
  • International receiver Corey Washington
  • International receiver Matt Hazel
  • National receiver Dylan Schrot
  • National receiver Rashaun Simonise
  • National defensive lineman Maxx Forde
  • National defensive lineman Tariq Lachance
  • National long snapper Zach Greenberg
  • International kicker Gabriel Amavizca-Ortiz
The following players have been placed on the practice roster:
  • National offensive lineman Asotui Eli
  • National defensive lineman Connor Griffiths
  • National running back Johnny Augustine
  • International defensive back Mike Jones
  • International defensive back Marcus Rios
  • International defensive back Chris Humes
  • International defensive end Patrick Choudja
  • International receiver Kenny Walker
  • International linebacker Dale Warren
  • International defensive back Sergio Schiaffino-Perez
  • International linebacker Manuel Hernandez-Reyes
The following players have been placed on the retired list:
  • International offensive lineman Manase Foketi

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Tyneil Cooper and Brandin Bryant are a bit of a surprise, both played quite a bit last year. McAlister, Forde, Lachsnce are guys who I thought had decent pre-season showings.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
McAlister and Simonise are probably getting calls, other than that no real surprises, Lawler makes the roster at WR and practice roster for Walker, interested to see what Richardson does on the interior of the d line.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
McAlister and Simonise are probably getting calls, other than that no real surprises, Lawler makes the roster at WR and practice roster for Walker, interested to see what Richardson does on the interior of the d line.

Cooper, Forde, Washington, Lachance are names I expect to resurface at some point as well, maybe even back with Bombers when injuries hit.

Simonise is the only guy we cut that I think a team will roster right now. But many names will be on teams shortlist including the Bombers, imo. The Bombers had a deep camp that appeared to be fairly healthy.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
So can the head coach a week before the start of the regular season, what a joke, CFL beginning to unravel in many ways, Lions played before an empty stadium in BC last night, sad times for the CFL in Canada's big three cities!

The CFL will have continual trouble staying alive. You can only afford to support a certain amount of teams with your dollar.

Toronto -- has terrible attendance ( compete with Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays, and soccer. ) I don't know why anyone would want to own the Argos -- "unless your a masochist."

Montreal --same thing ( Habs, and soccer is growing)

BC -- same thing ( Canucks, and soccer is growing) A lot of the population in BC is Asian, and they don't seem to like the CFL .

People only have so much money, and they want to see the best talent in the world play. They will support the NHL, and some will support the NBA, and now soccer is cutting into the entertainment dollar. Something will give here at some point. You can only stretch the dollar so far, and your average family man or woman only makes around $ 50 K, and half goes to income tax.

The CFL is only surviving on it's "tradition", and with that being said, if they can't get attendance up in the bigger markets, we just may see the CFL fold -- which would be a shame, for the smaller cities that support it and love it.

It's all the "smaller market" cities like Regina, Calgary, Winnipeg etc. that support the CFL. It's really quite a mess. I certainly wouldn't put my money into a CFL franchise.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
f*** it. This is the important part of this post. The CFL is it's best financial state in DECADES.

Plain wrong to suggest otherwise. If it hadn't folded yet it wont. The CFL is on solid ground no matter how much people want to attack it.

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Not too upset about any of the cuts. I would’ve kept Cooper and Bryant, but I’m not losing sleep over them. Simonise has great potential, but I hear he’s lazy and doesn’t work hard, so I’m not too upset to let him go. Bennett isn’t a big deal either IMO. 27 year old 3rd string QB, firmly behind Streveler and Nichols, I don’t see the big deal, I doubt he becomes a star anywhere (MAYBE a starter).

With Augustine going to the PR, does that mean Oliveira made the AR as a backup?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Dislike cuts of Simonise and Bennett. I certainly wasn't convinced McGuire was better in pre-season. Simonise has ridiculous potential. Played well on a ton of ST last year and is a backup, type of player you need to groom, IMO.

Holden: You seem like a relatively knowledgeable Bomber folk. How do you see our opening day starting roster shaping up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad