OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2019 Off Season Thread

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Isn’t he a RB/WR? I could be wrong, but he was a running back for the Bisons. I wanted to draft Coombs back in 2014 but our O-Line was so garbage back then that we had to take a lineman.

Not a pro level RB. Very similiar to Demski actually. A high school and university RB that is more suited to SB at pro level. Sure can take a carry here and there but will never start at RB in CFL.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Irving is blaming the wind, but 3 for 10 for 45 yards is a rough stat line for the 1st quarter.
Not a fan of Nichols , doesn't have a good arm and can't scramble at all. At least Streveler can run and scramble away from pressure .

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
What about the absolutely awful exchange rate ? You are not going to Minneapolis for a regular season game for 300 Canadian , gas, hotel, food and a ticket to the game is gonna be waaaaaaaay more than 300 Canadian , more like 700 to a 1000 dollars Canadian .

The exchange is not great, not awful as you put it either. It's not like it is .65.

Anyways two upper deck tickets to this exhibition game are $330 each. And I said I could do a trip for a little more then upper deck tickets at IG Field, not the same amount.

Go to Minny with a friend and back by car:

split gas - about $50 canadian
split 3 nights hotel at a marriot or hampton inn - solid 3 start hotel - about $180 canadian
upper deck tickets to REGULAR SEASON GAME at US Bank Stadium - $75 - $140 canadian
tickets to zoo or Valley Fair - $20 - $40 canadian
admittance to one of the many amazing museums or art galleries - often free or nominal charge

Basically a friend and I can do all this for slightly more than an upper deck ticket at IG Field. So I get a better quality experience (regular season NFL game) at one of the best stadiums in the world and on top of that I get a mini-vacation with additional entertainment.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Pre-season football at it's finest. 1 minute left and the Bombers stop Riders at the Bomber 13 on 3 straight plays. Next play the Bombers rookie RB runs for 15 yards then fumbles. Riders with another chance. Haha.

Bombers stop them again. Bombers win 35-29. First 2-0 pre-season since 1995.

Cut day is on Saturday. So we'll see. Lots of decisions to be made.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
McGuire sounds like he could be a keeper for the practice roster. Nice catch by the new Bomber receiver on the long bomb by Bennett too.

Can we keep Teitz? I want to hear Rod Black mispronounce it, conveniently forgetting the letter E in his name and then following that up with a typical Blackian pun.

Reactions: Jets 31

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Preseason is a memory, cuts and lets get on with the season, I see a couple of surprises in both guys cut and guys who make the team, 3rd string qb might be interesting, does Lawler make the team, does Walker , who returns kicks.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
McGuire sounds like he could be a keeper for the practice roster. Nice catch by the new Bomber receiver on the long bomb by Bennett too.

Can we keep Teitz? I want to hear Rod Black mispronounce it, conveniently forgetting the letter E in his name and then following that up with a typical Blackian pun.
I've been pumping McGuire for a while now. Based on what I've seen of him in practice he's got hugs potential. I'd try to keep him around on the practice roster for a while and give him some seasoning. He's got a beautiful deep ball, and makes quick decisive decisions. Pretty mobile too. He's got a bit of Nichols and Streveler in him; the best of both. He just needs more time to get used to the CFL and reading defences.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
And Streveler has no arm.
Agreed , that's why i said Streveler can at least run and scramble away from pressure . Nichols doesn't have either ability . Right now Streveler reminds me of Tim Tebow .

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Preseason is a memory, cuts and lets get on with the season, I see a couple of surprises in both guys cut and guys who make the team, 3rd string qb might be interesting, does Lawler make the team, does Walker , who returns kicks.
Thank god the CFL only has 2 pre season games , the NFL pre season goes forever with 4 frigging games . :shakehead

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Sounds like Bennet is the best of a bad lot at QB, Nichols stunk as usual, Tebow Strevler would make a good fullback, his arm is garbage, not this season once again BB fans!

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Agreed , that's why i said Streveler can at least run and scramble away from pressure . Nichols doesn't have either ability . Right now Streveler reminds me of Tim Tebow .
Nichols is no Mike Reilly, but he's got a decent arm.

Reactions: GNP

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
The bombers are going nowhere with Nichols. Why do they have such a blind spot to the most important position in any sport?
Who do you suggest they realistically replace him with? There's your answer.

There are much worse QBs starting in the CFL.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Bombers stop them again. Bombers win 35-29. First 2-0 pre-season since 1995.

A year they went 7-11 and only made the playoffs because the league decided the top 5 teams from Canada and only 3 from the US would make it through. And then they got whupped in the South semi by the eventual Grey Cup champs, Baltimore.

barrywpg

Nov 17, 2011
Thank god the CFL only has 2 pre season games , the NFL pre season goes forever with 4 frigging games . :shakehead
Except the first 2 regular season games look too much like exhibitions, but the mistakes count in the standings.
Play seems pretty ragged for a couple of games.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The bombers are going nowhere with Nichols. Why do they have such a blind spot to the most important position in any sport?

Because at this point there are few good CFL Qbs in the league. Right now the quality of CFL Qbs is the lowest it has been since the mid-2000s, maybe the worst it has ever been. 4 years ago, we had a still decent Durant, decent Lulay, Mitchell, Reilly, promising Jennings, Nichols was a backup on the Bombers, Burris, Harris was a great backup, Glenn was a decent starter/great backup, Collaros was a good starter in Hamiton, Ray in Toronto.

Now we have Mitchell, Reilly, Masoli and Harris as the only good or great Qbs in the league. Nichols is average, Collaros appears to be done, Jennings has been mediocre since his first season, Franklin has not developed as hoped and Bethel-Thompson seems like a game manager at best, Ottawa has a former Bomber backup as their starter, and Montreal appears to have Qbs with a limited ceiling.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
A 2nd round of releases today. Former draft pick national S Jscob Firlotte and Twitter star (who also had 2/3 nice plays in pre-season) DB/LB international Malik Boynton were the two names that stuck out to me. Likely still more to come and then there's IR/PR.

Reactions: sipowicz

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
The exchange is not great, not awful as you put it either. It's not like it is .65.

Anyways two upper deck tickets to this exhibition game are $330 each. And I said I could do a trip for a little more then upper deck tickets at IG Field, not the same amount.

Go to Minny with a friend and back by car:

split gas - about $50 canadian
split 3 nights hotel at a marriot or hampton inn - solid 3 start hotel - about $180 canadian
upper deck tickets to REGULAR SEASON GAME at US Bank Stadium - $75 - $140 canadian
tickets to zoo or Valley Fair - $20 - $40 canadian
admittance to one of the many amazing museums or art galleries - often free or nominal charge

Basically a friend and I can do all this for slightly more than an upper deck ticket at IG Field. So I get a better quality experience (regular season NFL game) at one of the best stadiums in the world and on top of that I get a mini-vacation with additional entertainment.

I agree with that. 169.99 for upper deck preseason? that's crazy.

wonder if they will release some on stub hub on the cheap on the day of the game to fill it out as I cant see it being a sellout at these prices

None

Feb 22, 2012
I'm surprised that Simonise got cut, tons of potential there. Petermann's been better without the same tools as Simonse though.

I'd bet that both Bennett and Simonise are picked up by other teams pretty quickly.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Bennett makes no sense. He was arguably our best QB in the pre-season.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm surprised that Simonise got cut, tons of potential there. Petermann's been better without the same tools as Simonse though.

I'd bet that both Bennett and Simonise are picked up by other teams pretty quickly.

I'm not surprised by Simonise washing out. There was talk of him not putting in the effort in practice. Coaches see that. All the physical tools in the world won't get you success if your head's not in it.

As for Bennett, I am convinced this organization is incapable of developing a starting QB. This revolving door of backups over the years just boggles the mind.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad